Waived: DeKeyser

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I agree - to a certain extent. This move should have been done ages ago, Dekeyser hasn't been an NHL caliber defense since his hip/back injuries took over his body.

Still, a great, necessary move.

To me, it makes sense for an NHL team to move a little more slowly and methodically than the average fan would like to see.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
So...we can retain 50% on him, plus, if he clears waivers than his caphit would only be 1.6M for any team looking at a playoff depth defenseman, since 900k gets removed for AHL-ness. So it's just a matter of whether someone feels like they can take him on at 1.6-2.5M AAV and what they are willing to pay for it.

That and if he clears waivers, which he should, a team can move him straight across to the AHL and not have to worry about clearing waivers for the next 10 games? I can't remember how long waivers lasts for, off the top of my head.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Whoa guys... After 531 games, Danny Dekeyser has a career +/- of...

Damn, that is epic as f***.

perfectly-balanced-thanos.gif

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So...we can retain 50% on him, plus, if he clears waivers than his caphit would only be 1.6M for any team looking at a playoff depth defenseman, since 900k gets removed for AHL-ness. So it's just a matter of whether someone feels like they can take him on at 1.6-2.5M AAV and what they are willing to pay for it.

That and if he clears waivers, which he should, a team can move him straight across to the AHL and not have to worry about clearing waivers for the next 10 games? I can't remember how long waivers lasts for, off the top of my head.

Yeah, I assume any deal would have this as the first step. So we'll see. Will be interesting to see how this deadline shakes out.

Reactions: golffuul

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Aside from buyouts, I think this is the last Holland contract on the books, no? Assuming he goes to GR after this to finish out his career, it's kind of the end of an era. The Holland contract era. (unless I'm forgetting someone, which is entirely possible)

Cheers to DeKeyser. No matter what happens moving forward, I commend the man for making for himself the career that he did. His injury was unfortunate, but at the risk of sounding like I'm pulling pages from the Holland playbook, he was a good soldier. And as someone who has been playing the game for three and a half decades, I very often toss aside my Wings fandom in these cases and see some of these guys as people I'd be happy to have as teammates in another lifetime. DDK is one of those guys, and I wince when people call guys like him "trash." I understand looking at it strictly through the lens of being a Wings fan, and recency bias, and etc etc etc.... I guess I'm just more empathetic in that way. Would love to have a few ginger ales with this guy one day.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Given his health, I suspect no NHL team will be interested. Happy to be wrong on that, both for him and for the Wings.

Last I remember, waivers are good for 30 days in terms of freely sending the player to the AHL.

Reactions: golffuul

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Aside from buyouts, I think this is the last Holland contract on the books, no? Assuming he goes to GR after this to finish out his career, it's kind of the end of an era. The Holland contract era. (unless I'm forgetting someone, which is entirely possible)

Cheers to DeKeyser. No matter what happens moving forward, I commend the man for making for himself the career that he did. His injury was unfortunate, but at the risk of sounding like I'm pulling pages from the Holland playbook, he was a good soldier. And as someone who has been playing the game for three and a half decades, I very often toss aside my Wings fandom in these cases and see some of these guys as people I'd be happy to have as teammates in another lifetime. DDK is one of those guys, and I wince when people call guys like him "trash." I understand looking at it strictly through the lens of being a Wings fan, and recency bias, and etc etc etc.... I guess I'm just more empathetic in that way. Would love to have a few ginger ales with this guy one day.
Well technically the Wings will be paying Abdelkader to not play hockey for them until 2026, but yes it's the last Holland contract off the roster.

And great sentiment regarding Dekeyser and players in general.

Reactions: Bench and jaster

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Been a fun ride buddy. This has been on the wall since coming back from his back injury. He just never moved/played the same way.

Glad it happen. Sad for the guy, it's tough to be let go vs walk away. I'm a farmer/rancher an just like in hockey; I've seen plenty have to give it up before they were ever ready or even wanted to.

Reactions: Dtybur

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
This needed to happen, maybe not on his birthday, but really is overdue. Now lets get to trading and bringing up all the young guys shall we.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't know why this is, but it feels like DeKeyser should be older than 32. Perhaps a reflection on how time passes when things aren't going well.

But maybe this is actually the end of that era.

I remember sitting along the glass for his first NHL game. It didn't seem like it was that long ago. I think this is pretty clearly the end of the line for him with respect to professional hockey for better or worse. The Wings put him in a really tough spot for the vast majority of his career. I appreciated the effort during some really lean years for our overall defensive depth.

Congrats to DDK on a solid career

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
My guess is with 9D on the roster, they did this for flexibility between now and the deadline. He probably gets assigned to GR on paper and then called back up as needed until they move a Dman or two before the deadline. Then he'll get called up and finish the year with an NHL farewell tour as a warm body on the Wings roster.

No point in sending him to GR since they're already loaded with veteran D.

Reactions: SirloinUB

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
My guess is with 9D on the roster, they did this for flexibility between now and the deadline. He probably gets assigned to GR on paper and then called back up as needed until they move a Dman or two before the deadline. Then he'll get called up and finish the year with an NHL farewell tour as a warm body on the Wings roster.

No point in sending him to GR since they're already loaded with veteran D.
What a birthday present for Danny.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Man, I remember how hyped we all were to win the DDK sweepstakes when he was a college FA. Then he joined GR in the post-season for their championship run and we all got super excited about all our prospects...

Reactions: 14ari13

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I believe Larkin is the last Holland contract. Luckily, it's a good one!

Reactions: jaster and 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What a birthday present for Danny.
I feel bad for the guy, I think this is a move that could have waited a day. Pretty cold to waive him on his birthday.

The team does have the option to tell him to just stay home, there is no requirement that he has to play anywhere. CBJ told Rinaldo not to report at all when he decided not to get vaccinated.

I hope they just let DDK retire, no reason for him to play in GR or ride buses with his bad back. That shit sucks.

Reactions: Dtybur and 14ari13

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I feel bad for the guy, I think this is a move that could have waited a day. Pretty cold to waive him on his birthday.

The team does have the option to tell him to just stay home, there is no requirement that he has to play anywhere. CBJ told Rinaldo not to report at all when he decided not to get vaccinated.

I hope they just let DDK retire, no reason for him to play in GR or ride buses with his bad back. That shit sucks.

I don’t feel bad for him at all. He still makes the exact same amount of money on his overpaid contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad