Waived: DeKeyser

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I haven't ruled out this is step one to DeKeyser getting half his salary retained and moved for a "conditional pick" (i.e. nothing) for a team that wants a backup option should the team lose defenders in the playoffs.

Despite our frustrations, some teams could do worse than DeKeyser compared to their completely inexperienced AHL options.
Staal at full price is cheaper than DDK at 50% retention, though Staal has a full NMC.

Also, I figured they wouldn't send him to GR, I guess IR is his birthday present. Seemed odd they would waive him on his birthday, but obviously DDK knew he was going on IR.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I understand it's a business, but I would have liked to have seen Montana. I mean, I would like to see DDK's whole career be as a Red Wing.

I'm reminded of the heady days of Yzerman and Lidstrom when the league trembled at the sound of our HOFers. They will tremble again at the sound of our Seider.

Reactions: 14ari13

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm reminded of the heady days of Yzerman and Lidstrom when the league trembled at the sound of our HOFers. They will tremble again at the sound of our Seider.

We will need more than that for them to tremble. But that's a good starting point.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'd like to see these as our line combos

Ras/Namestnikov - Larkin - Raymond
Bertuzzi - Suter - Fabbri
Vrana - Veleno - Zadina
Namestnikov/Ras - a pile of garbage - a pile of garbage

Give Vrana a bump to the 1st line sometimes for additional minutes.

Reactions: dalem177

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

"Tremble at the sound of our Seider" should be a thread title, a bumper sticker, the message flashed on the jumbotron before all games, if not a PA announcement along the lines of "let's get ready to rumblllle".

It is a mantra and everyone here should say it to any opposing fans in your presence.

Reactions: Bench and jaster

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, well past time for DeKeyser to ride off into the sunset. I remember when he fell into Detroit's lap, he was a solid D-man in an orgranization that had absolutely no idea how to develop a d-man at that point. Father time remains undefeated.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Funny how DeKeyser is removed and we'll see the worst defensive game of the season.

Also Moritz Seider had his worst game, maybe there was something on his partner.

The guy did something right and won't deserve the hate.

Feeling happy now with even worse scrub defencemen there?

Dekeyser was out there when Toronto hung 10 on us, don't think he was the glue holding the team together dude.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wishing him the best, it's nice to move on. Is he the final Holland country club player?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dekeyser was out there when Toronto hung 10 on us, don't think he was the glue holding the team together dude.

I don't know, I think he very well could be the gorilla glue to our hair.

210208082052-01-gorilla-glue-harispray-exlarge-169.jpg

Reactions: PullHard

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why did they put him on waivers if he was just going on IR anyhow? His roster spot and cap hit are both gone on IR, so why waiver him?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Why did they put him on waivers if he was just going on IR anyhow? His roster spot and cap hit are both gone on IR, so why waiver him?
Probably hoping someone would claim him and then wouldn't be our worry anymore.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They clear guys on waivers for contract reasons before trading them some of the time as well. I think you would need @mouser (one of those I miss fugu moments here where I could expect her to give us the chapter and verse on the financial aspect) to probably explain it to you correctly but it does happen. There are certain advantages and a team knowing he might pass and trading him for a scrub AHL asset they have no intention of signing is kind of what generally plays out next. If I remember right he doesn't have to clear waivers again for 30 days or something so if you had him as a #8 for some reason it could make marginal sense if we didn't know where DK's game is at now.

Now that he is on IR, it could be as simple as our team doctor won't clear him, but there is a chance someone else could??? I mean we know they watch the same league we do, so nobody was coming, but they still do the contract dance just in case I think. I would also guess when Chicago bricked qualifying their guys that one year a bunch of teams put in hard rules on procedure that they adhere to pretty closely, to keep from making mistakes.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
They clear guys on waivers for contract reasons before trading them some of the time as well. I think you would need @mouser (one of those I miss fugu moments here where I could expect her to give us the chapter and verse on the financial aspect) to probably explain it to you correctly but it does happen. There are certain advantages and a team knowing he might pass and trading him for a scrub AHL asset they have no intention of signing is kind of what generally plays out next. If I remember right he doesn't have to clear waivers again for 30 days or something so if you had him as a #8 for some reason it could make marginal sense if we didn't know where DK's game is at now.

Now that he is on IR, it could be as simple as our team doctor won't clear him, but there is a chance someone else could??? I mean we know they watch the same league we do, so nobody was coming, but they still do the contract dance just in case I think. I would also guess when Chicago bricked qualifying their guys that one year a bunch of teams put in hard rules on procedure that they adhere to pretty closely, to keep from making mistakes.
DDK isn't going to get traded, his cap hit is too high even with max retention.

The move was done to male space for the waiver claim.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
My guess is they want roster flexibility on the other side of the IR stint. In other words, if he comes off IR within 30 days, they can assign him to GR immediately without affecting the Detroit roster, if that is what is necessary. If he hadn't already been waived, then after he comes off IR they would be stuck with him on the roster for 24 hours while they waived him at that point, and if there are 23 guys on the roster, they'd have to waive/trade/send down someone else just for a day.

In short, waiving him was simply for roster flexibility, and a potential insurance move for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad