GDT: Dec. 31 • Group A • United States 2, Canada 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pouliot is a great defenseman but he takes dumb penalties.

Agreed.......watching him with Portland I have not been impressed with his defensive skills but love his puck moving abilities and offense. I am away more impressed with his overall play in this tournament but he needs to clean up his game and stay out of the box.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Nope. It is actually a non-Canada stream. Works fine everywhere except in Canada. :laugh:

That makes sense. It's probably blacked out for Canada cause of TSN.

Bob just made some great points that I think sums up Canada the last few years. I think quite a few of our teams have been very "try do things on their own" and make the "pretty plays" while teams like the US and Russia play this team game that looks like they play together all year.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Hope this is all a precursor to the kind of game we'll see from the pros in the Olympics

USAvCanada never fails to disappoint

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Agreed.......watching him with Portland I have not been impressed with his defensive skills but love his puck moving abilities and offense. I am away more impressed with his overall play in this tournament but he needs to clean up his game and stay out of the box.

I don't know. That play is not a penalty in the NHL. I would rather my dman have a little grit than be afraid to take a penalty.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Two amazing teams, two amazing goalies, amazing atmosphere, and the officiating...well one of these things is not like the others.

I don't think they've been doing too bad of a job all things considered. A few "missed calls" (I think they were letting them play a lot in the first). A couple of questionable calls.

They need to make up their minds. Let them play or call it tight. Don't go back and forth. That's their biggest problem so far IMO.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't know. That play is not a penalty in the NHL. I would rather my dman have a little grit than be afraid to take a penalty.

Disagree, that was pretty blatant interference. The puck was nowhere near the play.

Perhaps in Game 7 of the SCF the refs might pocket the whistle, but at most other times, that's a penalty.

WACCAttack

Mar 5, 2013
Nope. It is actually a non-Canada stream. Works fine everywhere except in Canada. :laugh:

There's an extension called Hola Unblock that lets you set your country for individual sites. Just install it, go to NHL.com, click the face and set it to USA and it should work.

Langdon Alger*

Pouliot ran Hartman over a good three seconds after he released the puck. How isn't that a penalty in the NHL?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Remember when Canada had skilled forwards, at least skilled enough to at least make a tape to tape pass.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
That makes sense. It's probably blacked out for Canada cause of TSN.

Bob just made some great points that I think sums up Canada the last few years. I think quite a few of our teams have been very "try do things on their own" and make the "pretty plays" while teams like the US and Russia play this team game that looks like they play together all year.

Can you blame them, though?

Look at how they get ripped apart on here when they don't produce. McDavid has looked great for a 16 year old and people are saying he is no good because he is "only" getting a ppg right now.

Canadian players have a lot of pressure on them, and I am sure they feel it. They all want to make a difference, and sometimes that kind of thinking hurts team play. I agree with Bob, for sure.

Penalty Kill Icing*

There's an extension called Hola Unblock that lets you set your country for individual sites. Just install it, go to NHL.com, click the face and set it to USA and it should work.

Oh.. I am already set. I use tunlr instead. No additional add-on/plugin/extension/software installation and works on all devices. :yo:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Two amazing teams, two amazing goalies, amazing atmosphere, and the officiating...well one of these things is not like the others.

For the international game I think the officiating has been surprisingly okay. Missed calls on both sides. I don't think either team has reason to complain.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
McDavid looks lots better than Eichel out there. Didn't know Eichel is such a slouch skating wise. And he seems to have one move only: the toe drag.

Eichel is a slouch skating? He's gaining ice against everyone on the rush. I'll grant you that McDavid looks like he's going faster.

The thing that caught my eye this game (and tourney) is Eichel's uncanny ability to find the open man, and deliver the puck precisely (even though sometimes the target is not expecting it). From a barely-17-year-old it's very impressive, and that a 2015-eligible is running the #1 PP from the half-wall, is just nuts.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
In regards to offensive play and puck moving ability, Pouliot reminds me a lot of a young Drew Doughty.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Disagree, that was pretty blatant interference. The puck was nowhere near the play.

Perhaps in Game 7 of the SCF the refs might pocket the whistle, but at most other times, that's a penalty.

If that puck gets frozen it's probably not a penalty. With Fucale playing it quickly and Canada breaking out, the ref really had no choice but to make the call. Maybe a bit of an embellishment, but the call was correct in my opinion.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Remember when Canada had skilled forwards, at least skilled enough to at least make a tape to tape pass.

I chalk some of it up to nerves and not having key players at the start of the tournament - also credit to the USA for playing some very good hockey and taking away passing lanes.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Can you blame them, though?

Look at how they get ripped apart on here when they don't produce. McDavid has looked great for a 16 year old and people are saying he is no good because he is "only" getting a ppg right now.

Canadian players have a lot of pressure on them, and I am sure they feel it. They all want to make a difference, and sometimes that kind of thinking hurts team play. I agree with Bob, for sure.

Yeah, oh I don't blame them at all. I just wish they had more time as a team to really gel, maybe a few more exhibition games and whatnot like get the team together and have them face some of the best CHL teams (although they'd be without their best players at that point) or against a few "B teams."

I think what some people fail to realize is that Canada isn't just "choking" or sending a team that isn't good these last few years... other countries have just been getting better. Look at this year with all the "upsets"... perhaps other teams are just learning to develop and bring their players together better so now it's a more even playing field.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Still not a huge Petan fan but he was brought here to produce and hes finally starting to do that. Also, Mantha is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad