Confirmed with Link: DeBoer the new Sharks head coach (officially official)

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
It's rhetorical essentially, you are correct, but what I'm saying is if they could fix it, they needed to do so last season, or this season at the latest. After that the return will likely be so low as to be inconsequential and we will end up with essentially no Patty/JT (at least not the elite Patty and JT anymore) and no assets in return for that loss.

Our only saving grace right now is that the team sucked so bad we got the 9th overall pick, which in fact may be that small miracle we needed (we'll have to see), because I fully expected us to just miss the playoffs again, get the 15th pick at best, and do so again next season (if we still did not trade them at that point). Which would absolutely put us in the position of continuing to be just good enough to not improve. We need this 9th pick to produce an elite player, period. We also need to acquire at least one more elite player somehow (someone overachieving, another draft pick, a trade, whatever).

Best case scenario I see is Hertl develops into an elite #1c (that's a pretty big reach, but not totally impossible). Pavelski gives an elite winger for the next 3-5 years hopefully, and Goldobin pans out as a very good 1st ling winger (probably does not have elite potential). We draft Werenski, or by some miracle Provorov, and they quickly develop a la OEL and fill that top pairing D spot we so badly need filled. I have no idea what we do for a goalie. So best case our team looks like (with JT and Patty having walked):

Pavelski - Hertl - Goldobin
Nieto - Couture - Wingels
Karlsson - Tierney - Chartier

Provorov - Braun
Vlasic - Burns
Mueller - ?

That's a pretty big gamble. Those guys could easily turn out to be more Michalek's (good, but not great) and Setoguchi's (underperformers). We could draft Crouse instead of Werenski and he could peak at Wingels level. If that happens we've got a perennial lottery team. The Sharks need to hedge those bets by getting a few elite level prospects to ensure (as much as possible) those roles are filled, not hope the best.

We're gonna have to get lucky here at some point. We need a couple 1rst or 2nds to become way more than their draft locations would indicate. Last couple were Vlasic and Pavs. If we could get the same kind of overachieving from a couple 1rst rounders we'd be set. We're due aren't we :)

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Elliotte Friedman 30 thoughts, 15 through 19 were about DeBoer.

15. Seven years ago, while going through the process that hired Todd McLellan, Sharks GM Doug Wilson interviewed Peter DeBoer. So, there was a familiarity when the two met this time, as DeBoer eventually became McLellan’s replacement. “I wanted to be in a spot where the expectation was a team could and should be in the playoffs,†the new coach said last week. “That hasn’t always been the case over my career in the NHL, and I thought it was very important. It’s not like I was turning down jobs, but I prefer this rebuild.â€

16. DeBoer is very familiar with the team’s core, from international tournaments to OHL coaching battles. Among them: Brent Burns. So, is Burns a forward or a defenceman? “He’s a defenceman. At the World Championships, he was the best and it wasn’t close. You can count on one hand the number of players in the world who can be an all-star at forward and on defence at the NHL level.†DeBoer watched a lot of him in the lead-up to his interviews. What did he see? “You can’t play that position part-time. He was a little bit uncomfortable. We have to commit to him playing there, so he can really become comfortable with it.â€

17. DeBoer said as he did his interviews, then started talking to the players, he could see the 2014 playoff disappointment “dragged into last season and played a big part in what happened there. They are ready to leave it behind them now…and would all agree it was something that hung over them all year.†Why? “You continually answer questions about it. It’s not easy, but they are a motivated group that played at a high level for a long time. They want to get back there.†I asked DeBoer if he thought about what he was going to say in that first training-camp meeting to set a new tone. At first, he didn’t want to answer, because he was worried it would be interpreted as a shot at the previous coaching staff, which is not his intention. Finally he said, “Yes, but there’s a natural separation. It will be their first different voice in years. They had a great run, but now it’s time for a different look.†Then, he paused. “I can tell you this, they didn’t blame anyone but themselves.â€

18. What must the Sharks correct? DeBoer pointed out the penalty kill went from 85 per cent in 2012-13 and 84.9 the next season, to 78.5 this year. “Historically, it’s not bad. We have to figure out the reasons why. Was it goaltending, structure, system…probably a little bit of everything.†The year DeBoer’s Devils went to the Cup Final, they were first at 89.6 per cent. That’s the best in the NHL since 1997-98. He also said San Jose’s five-on-five play “was not at the level of a contender.†They scored 142 such goals (22nd) and allowed 156 (24th).

19. Best exchange with DeBoer: “Have you discussed with Doug Wilson what you will do in goal?†A: “Yewe’ve talked about that.†Silence. Q: “You’re not going to tell me, are you?†A: “You’re right about that.â€

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Elliotte Friedman 30 thoughts, 15 through 19 were about DeBoer.

19. Best exchange with DeBoer: “Have you discussed with Doug Wilson what you will do in goal?†A: “Yes, we’ve talked about that.†Silence. Q: “You’re not going to tell me, are you?†A: “You’re right about that.â€

This is interesting, seems like they have something in mind. Wonder what it is...

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
st-louis-blues-goaltender-martin-brodeur.jpg

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
This is interesting, seems like they have something in mind. Wonder what it is...

Not taking a shot at you but the alternative is that they have no idea what to do. I figured the staff has an idea what they want lol.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Devils 5 on 5 play wasn't very good under DeBoer, even in that year he had both Kovalchuk and Parise together. I think we scored 17 shorthanded goals that year. That's another reason I think we could have easily missed the playoffs that year.

I'm still sad about this hire. I didn't like the team's chances of getting into the playoffs next year as it was.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I was really hoping Barr would be joining DeBoer in SJ...Bylsma did really well with his staff!
Buffalo Sabres @BuffaloSabres
Bylsma says Terry Murray & Dave Barr will be joining #Sabres coaching staff.

Last edited:

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
I was really hoping Barr would be joining DeBoer in SJ...Bylsma did really well with his staff!

Yeah, I thought Barr was a perfect fit for the Sharks' current situation. Maybe his memories of working with DeBoer affected his decision?

The biggest impact DW could have on positive outcomes for next season is getting a special teams expert in with DeBoer.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Or Barr wanted to stay on the east coast. I know most want to paint this as a "Sharks are terrible, DeBoer sucks" situation but it's more likely that Barr would rather stay closer to home and work.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Or Barr wanted to stay on the east coast. I know most want to paint this as a "Sharks are terrible, DeBoer sucks" situation but it's more likely that Barr would rather stay closer to home and work.

I'd say Barr's desire to stay in the East is just as likely as him possibly not wanting to work again with DeBoer -- I just don't know.

Either way, I agree it's not necessarily a "Sharks are terrible" situation but maybe a "God I hated New Jersey" or "I love snow" situation.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I'd say Barr's desire to stay in the East is just as likely as him possibly not wanting to work again with DeBoer -- I just don't know.

Either way, I agree it's not necessarily a "Sharks are terrible" situation but maybe a "God I hated New Jersey" or "I love snow" situation.

Then why was he on his staff for years? He's from Toronto. Pretty close to Buffalo. He has a wife and two young kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad