Confirmed with Link: DeBoer the new Sharks head coach (officially official)

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Deboer was my first choice. He is creative and inovative. He was given a terrible hand in New Jersey for the last couple of seasons. I for one am thrilled.

Hooch, the devils were the team that invented the swarm. Deboer is also good on entries. They did run that pk formation you all learned to hate and were at one time the best pk in the league

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I want to see Wilson make improvements on the d to see what this guy can do with an adequate lineup. He didn't have much in either nj or fla.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Get ready for the trap. trap. trap. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz boring hockey to begin!

People still seem to think it's impossible for every coach in hockey to adjust their teams playstyle according to their roster and what they think will get the best results.
Also never forget to point out the handling of Larsson which must mean he will handle all the young players like him.

Think this could be a great hire. Worst case scenario I think is still an average NHL coach so not bad.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
As a Devils fan he is a good coach when he has a veteran team that can skate decently well. He doesn't do well with rookies and younger players and often keeps them on a short leash aka "having them watch a game from the press box to get a different view" heavy on the forecheck more of a grind them down style. Relies on offensive zone pressure. Tends to blow multiple goal leads way to often. Sometimes too aggressive causing defensive breakdowns.

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
I don't have anything against the guy, I just don't see this as an upgrade over TM. The Sharks problems were with personnel, not the coach.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
As a Devils fan he is a good coach when he has a veteran team that can skate decently well. He doesn't do well with rookies and younger players and often keeps them on a short leash aka "having them watch a game from the press box to get a different view" heavy on the forecheck more of a grind them down style. Relies on offensive zone protection. Tends to blow multiple goal leads way to often. Sometimes too aggressive causing defensive breakdowns.

Don't really follow the Devils much but I have heard that Henrique, Merrill and Severson did very well under him?
Just feels like since Larsson didn't flourish under him people make him out to be bad with all the young players.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't have anything against the guy, I just don't see this as an upgrade over TM. The Sharks problems were with personnel, not the coach.

There weren't really any upgrades over McClellan available besides Babcock, and he wasn't going to get 50m here. Not much Wilson can do when the coach doesn't want to stay.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It's not an upgrade over TM but TM's shelf life expired. The players are still at fault as well but both sides take blame for the problems. Of course, DW hiring DeBoer speaks to a larger issue in my mind. DeBoer isn't a good developing coach. If Robinson's influence had a hand in this, it's just another reason why his involvement was a mistake from day one because his views are antiquated.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Don't really follow the Devils much but I have heard that Henrique, Merrill and Severson did very well under him?
Just feels like since Larsson didn't flourish under him people make him out to be bad with all the young players.

Deboer didnt realize that "tough love" was not an effective method for every young player. Larsson is the kind of player that needs to go out and play the next shift to fix his mistakes...but instead would just bench him. Some players respond to that, others don't. Deboer was never really able to make an adjustment with certain players

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
It's not an upgrade over TM but TM's shelf life expired. The players are still at fault as well but both sides take blame for the problems. Of course, DW hiring DeBoer speaks to a larger issue in my mind. DeBoer isn't a good developing coach. If Robinson's influence had a hand in this, it's just another reason why his involvement was a mistake from day one because his views are antiquated.

I've heard this before, but this is based on what exactly? Because he wasn't happy with Larrson and didn't play him when he didn't perform?

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

Henrique was different. Zajac got hurt and we had no centers so deboer stuck him on a line with kovalchuk and parise. Merrill earned his trust pretty quick and severson flourished under everyone. Guys like gelinas and larsson, Boucher would make one mistake and would be banished. He's not as bad as he seems but he's not great either. It's more or less his personell decisions leaning on old veterans than giving the younger guy an extended role

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

He's not bad with every single young player but the complaints go back to his time with Florida, it's a reputation he's earned.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I posted this on the general board. Pros and cons with Deboer:

Pros:
- A sound tactician who will implement a thorough, multi-phased system. Even Jagr stated that the Devils puck pursuit oriented system on both sides of the ice was complex. Breakouts, assignments, etc.
- commands respect in locker-room
- will lean on veterans

Cons:
- Holds grudges against players who's play style & demeanor he differs with (see Larsson, Tedenby and others)
- Plays favorites with role players who follow his orders to a 'T'
- Stubborn in bucking from his philosophy when it doesn't work
- if this sharks team does not have the proper conditioning, DeBoer will burn them out with his aggressive system. It's very taxing and an older devils team simply burnt out as the season went along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad