Confirmed with Link: DeBoer the new Sharks head coach (officially official)

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
why all the hate for Oats? He'd get us a great PP, and we want that... right. We're talking assistant here, not head coach.

It mostly stems from Oates' comments after Hertl's 4- goal game against the Rangers, basically saying he was disrespecting the league.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
why all the hate for Oats? He'd get us a great PP, and we want that... right. We're talking assistant here, not head coach.

PP? Why do we need help on the power play. The power play is the least of the worries for the sharks.

Only with sharks fans will a top 10 team on the power play will it be called a problem.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
That's because the 1st unit is that good. The 2nd unit..not so much until Fedun was on it. Which is why I'm advocating a trade for Wiz.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
It mostly stems from Oates' comments after Hertl's 4- goal game against the Rangers, basically saying he was disrespecting the league.

Only due to the between the legs retirement gift for Biron and the celebration. I loved it but the NHL is the No Hotdogging League and more conservative than other pro sports.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
That then isn't on the coaches that is on wilson for not having the talent needed to run 2 power play units.

They did have the talent. They just never tried balancing them out. The 2nd unit needed a presence on the point, be it forward or dman.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
They did have the talent. They just never tried balancing them out. The 2nd unit needed a presence on the point, be it forward or dman.

Then who do you take off of the 1st unit?

And if it needs to be on the point, as the team is built that would have to be a forward since the only defensemen that is worth anything for the power play is already on the top unit.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
PP? Why do we need help on the power play. The power play is the least of the worries for the sharks.

Only with sharks fans will a top 10 team on the power play will it be called a problem.

What is so impressive about being a "top 10 team", anyways? Great, you are in the top third of the league...

We've seen what happens to the Sharks PP when it comes up against the very best teams. The Sharks could use someone who can train the team to have multiple different angles of attack.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
And Tierney. Tierney started turning it around even before Fedun was called up.

2nd unit was incredibly bad at zone entries. Whenever they were able to stay in the zone or start in it, they'd do pretty good. I'm not really sure how they can fix the neutral zone issues though.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So? He provides offense. What the team lacks on the blueline.

We should probably care but whatever.

Vlasic-Wis
Dillon-Burns
Mueller-Braun

I wouldn't be too mad about that. The defense was pretty anomalously bad last year considering the personnel last year vs the years before. We got worse after we lost Stuart...Seriously, how does that happen?

We'd probably be fine with Wis.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What is so impressive about being a "top 10 team", anyways? Great, you are in the top third of the league...

We've seen what happens to the Sharks PP when it comes up against the very best teams. The Sharks could use someone who can train the team to have multiple different angles of attack.

There's no guarantee that Oates will provide that. I don't really care how this whole thing plays out. I just want to see what DW does and how next season goes.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
So? He provides offense. What the team lacks on the blueline.

I agree with you. While I'd love DW to get a high end two way d-man the reality is those guys don't get moved (or tend to hit FA) so with that in mind I think offense from the blueline is the priority.

As for Oates, since I highly doubt DeBoer would tell him "you get a say on the PP and nothing else" I'm not interested.

With the talent the Sharks have I'm sure he'd be a great power play coach but history shows he's pretty bad at just about everything else coaching wise.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The team lacks defense on the blueline, not offense. 8th worst defense in the league. Wiz would make the Sharks considerably worse on defense.

Sharks need an Oduya, a Hjalmarsson or an Alzner.

I honestly can't believe you believe that. The sharks were 8th worst defensively because they didn't play ANY team defense, at all. Hockey is a team sport and no matter how good of personnel you have if they are not playing a solid system and playing it well they will fail. That is what we witnessed last season, a system-less group of talented players falling on their faces. You could have added Bouwmeester and Suter to last years team and they still wouldn't have been a top-15 defensive team because of their lack of a defensive system.

We have Vlasic, Braun, Dillon, and Mueller already, we don't need more defensive defensemen, unless you want to ensure a playoff failure because no-offense from your defense is a sure way out in the first round.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The team lacks defense on the blueline, not offense. 8th worst defense in the league. Wiz would make the Sharks considerably worse on defense.

Sharks need an Oduya, a Hjalmarsson or an Alzner.

We could use both really. Oduya + Wiz would be 4x better than just one of them.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
it's good to keep it fresh on the PP, Oats could provide a different POV keeping it there.

The PP would very likely look different under Oates but that doesn't necessarily mean better results or that it would be more 'dynamic'.

There's obviously more to it but with Oates it's trying to set up in a 1-3-1, with elite shooters like Ovi, Kovalchuk & Stamkos on his top units it's not surprising that the PP"s he coached were very effective.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area

And he was a terrible coach in DC. I cringed every time I turned the Capitals on when he coached them. Players also didn't care for his cold-shoulder approach, and his absurd philosophy when it came to defensemen not playing with the puck. The only player to like him was AO, but that's because he was able to score a bagillion PP goals in Oates' system.

Just go read the Caps' blog, Russian Machine Never Breaks, and you'll learn to hate Oates as much as anyone else who lives in the DC area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad