Value of: DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Ohh really? So he is the the big Physical dman who gets zero offensive zone starts and drives a PK to be elite that the leafs need? I didn’t know that. Let’s see how DeAngelo would do with zero PP time and no offensive zone starts. He’s the last dman the leafs need.

Let’s see how any defender would do with zero PP TOI and no O-Zone starts.

I don’t think you realize how ridiculous that sounds, especially when you’re anchored down by Marc Staal.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why don’t you enlighten us.

A history of racist and abusive comments to teammates and officials, and a podcast ripe for similarly "problematic" commentary.

Maybe he's matured. But it's the team that'll have to contend with the fallout if he hasn't, and that's a gamble on his talent that's a lot easier to take when he's making $925,000 a year than if he's making 6+ mil per.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A history of racist and abusive comments to teammates and officials, and a podcast ripe for similarly "problematic" commentary.

Maybe he's matured. But it's the team that'll have to contend with the fallout if he hasn't, and that's a gamble on his talent that's a lot easier to take when he's making $925,000 a year than if he's making 6+ mil per.

Speculation.

He was suspended once for a slur directed at a teammate. We don't know what kind of slur. There were no black players on his team. Apparently there was a Native player on his team that no one would've had any idea was of Native heritage. The rest were the same race as him.

The abusive comments to officials stuff was years ago. You say maybe he's matured, but also claim he has issues that you don't know he currently has. I try to not speculate on things I don't know about, but if anything, the comments from the team and his teammates about DeAngelo's behavior since he's joined the Rangers have been very positive.

Why isn't he allowed to have a podcast? Do you even listen to it? It's about sports, mostly hockey. There are other pro athletes that have their own podcasts.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Speculation.

He was suspended once for a slur directed at a teammate. We don't know what kind of slur. There were no black players on his team. Apparently there was a Native player on his team that no one would've had any idea was of Native heritage. The rest were the same race as him.

The abusive comments to officials stuff was years ago. You say maybe he's matured, but also claim he has issues that you don't know he currently has. I try to not speculate on things I don't know about, but if anything, the comments from the team and his teammates about DeAngelo's behavior since he's joined the Rangers have been very positive.

Why isn't he allowed to have a podcast? Do you even listen to it? It's about sports, mostly hockey. There are other pro athletes that have their own podcasts.
You do know that just because there wasn't any black players on his team doesn't give him the right to use that word right? Also there really isn't a difference between one racist word to another in the end its STILL RACIST. Also apparently it wasn't just in the locker room it was ON THE ICE.
LNN: Playoffs in Canada, DeAngelo’s Comments, Juneteenth, and More!

With attention finally being paid to the problem of racism in hockey, a lot of eyes have started to turn to Rangers player Tony DeAngelo, whose recent tweets have ranged from ignorant to offensive. DeAngelo has a history of racist behaviour, dating back to his minor hockey days when he got into trouble for using racial slurs on the ice. A few hockey fans have started sharing an old video in which Tony DeAngelo’s father openly admits to using racial slurs regularly around his son, and essentially tries to excuse the player’s behaviour by claiming that he is simply a product of his upbringing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petrus

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Speculation.

There were 2 well documented incidents of racism and two well documented incidents of official abuse. He was also kicked out of his billets home. If you don't know his issues you don't know much about the player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You do know that just because there wasn't any black players on his team doesn't give him the right to use that word right? Also there really isn't a difference between one racist word to another in the end its STILL RACIST. Also apparently it wasn't just in the locker room it was ON THE ICE.
LNN: Playoffs in Canada, DeAngelo’s Comments, Juneteenth, and More!

With attention finally being paid to the problem of racism in hockey, a lot of eyes have started to turn to Rangers player Tony DeAngelo, whose recent tweets have ranged from ignorant to offensive. DeAngelo has a history of racist behaviour, dating back to his minor hockey days when he got into trouble for using racial slurs on the ice. A few hockey fans have started sharing an old video in which Tony DeAngelo’s father openly admits to using racial slurs regularly around his son, and essentially tries to excuse the player’s behaviour by claiming that he is simply a product of his upbringing.

Why are we even talking about racism? Because one person with no proof claimed he has a history of racist comments. There is no publicly available saying that’s correct. If you can find some or have private information, please share it with everyone. Otherwise, you shouldn’t speculate on something like that.

By the way, what you posted is from a fan blog that claims something is widely known, and then goes on to provide no proof, all opinion and speculation. That’s very dangerous.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Ranger arm chair GM's working their tails off trying to get rid of this guy. It is about more than the money, if you ask me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There were 2 well documented incidents of racism and two well documented incidents of official abuse. He was also kicked out of his billets home. If you don't know his issues you don't know much about the player.

Do you know the player?

And if you know about two well documented instances of racism, why don’t you post some proof or tell us more about what happened.

I’ve asked multiple times. No one seems to know anything about any of these instances, but supposedly we have to act as if these are facts because some intolerant people don’t like his views. It’s easier for some to call someone racist than to say you disagree with their views.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Why are we even talking about racism? Because one person with no proof claimed he has a history of racist comments. There is no publicly available saying that’s correct. If you can find some or have private information, please share it with everyone. Otherwise, you shouldn’t speculate on something like that.

By the way, what you posted is from a fan blog that claims something is widely known, and then goes on to provide no proof, all opinion and speculation. That’s very dangerous.
This is what you are doing :tmi:

DeAngelo on scouts' radar for wrong reasons - Sportsnet.ca
Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo suspended for slur directed at teammate

Coyotes' DeAngelo Suspended 3 Games For Abuse of Officials
Lightning Prospect Anthony DeAngelo Suspended Again

Last two links are abuse of officials the other ones though wowzers I even sprinkled in a tweet he made about some girls the guy is a scum bag.

This isn't just about money its most likely the rangers want to get rid of this head case before it bites them in the ass later down the line and the reason why no one wants to trade for him is partly due to his character.

Reactions: Petrus

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Last two links are abuse of officials the other ones though wowzers I even sprinkled in a tweet he made about some girls the guy is a scum bag.

This isn't just about money its most likely the rangers want to get rid of this head case before it bites them in the ass later down the line and the reason why no one wants to trade for him is partly due to his character.

Did you read what I asked you? Where is this proof that he used a racial slur against a teammate and then got suspended for it? He got suspended for a slur. Many people, like you, have taken that upon yourselves to claim that means he used a racial slur against a teammate. I’ve seen no indication that’s true, so let’s stick with what we know and stop speculating on what he did. To accuse someone of something like that without knowing is very dangerous.

I never denied that he was suspended multiple times. That doesn’t mean he’s the same person now as many years ago. A suspension from years ago isn’t an issue, unless you make it one. There’s no indication that his character is any current issue within the locker room. In fact, the evidence says to the contrary, but I won’t do what others have done and claim something I really don’t know about.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

Red flags there: 2 incidents involving slurs and 2 incidents involving officials.

Too much PR risk there!

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Ranger arm chair GM's working their tails off trying to get rid of this guy. It is about more than the money, if you ask me.

It isn’t even about money. Money is a secondary issue.

It’s about the fact that we have three exceptional right handed defenseman and an excellent RHD prospect who is NHL ready. One of our RHD is was just signed and is paid 8M, one is on an ELC for another two years. We have glaring holes elsewhere on the roster and, of our surplus of exceptional RHD, we have to decide which one we can use to address one of those glaring holes. Since Trouba was just signed and Fox is on an ELC for another couple of years, but will ultimately need a raise as well, DeAngelo makes the most sense for us to move. If we extend him and then pay Fox we will have too much money, and talent, tied up on the right side. We need to balance the team - LHD and C are weaknesses, RHD is strength. The money comes into play a couple of years from now when Fox needs a new contract, but it is not the issue with DeAngelo. Nor are any of his “past issues”. The only issue is that we have an overloaded right side and need to decide which one to monetize to balance our roster. Very few Rangers fans WANT to move DeAngelo. We just wish he was a left shot.

Reactions: klingsor

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Do you know the player?

And if you know about two well documented instances of racism, why don’t you post some proof or tell us more about what happened.

I’ve asked multiple times. No one seems to know anything about any of these instances, but supposedly we have to act as if these are facts because some intolerant people don’t like his views. It’s easier for some to call someone racist than to say you disagree with their views.
Takes 10 seconds to google it. You know it's true, you just want to defend the player despite his flaws to try to artificially boost his value on a message board that is basically meaningless. Kind of sad actually.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Speculation.

I want to make sure I accurately represent the issue here, so I'll defer to the Sting:

Who else has broken that policy twice?

He has a longer rap sheet than most when it comes to that sort of thing, doesn't he?

It's great that he hasn't been suspended for uttering slurs or abusing officials for 3 years. Most players go their whole careers without doing either once, but I wish him continued success.

Of course he can. People can say what they want, but an open forum for a player who has a history of slurs and abuse and openly states that he doesn't care what people think of what he says has the potential to cause considerable headaches for anyone running a team.

Like, Roenick, Cherry, and Milbury have all been axed within the last year here.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I want to make sure I accurately represent the issue here, so I'll defer to the Sting:

Who else has broken that policy twice?

He has a longer rap sheet than most when it comes to that sort of thing, doesn't he?

It's great that he hasn't been suspended for uttering slurs or abusing officials for 3 years. Most players go their whole careers without doing either once, but I wish him continued success.

Of course he can. People can say what they want, but an open forum for a player who has a history of slurs and abuse and openly states that he doesn't care what people think of what he says has the potential to cause considerable headaches for anyone running a team.

Like, Roenick, Cherry, and Milbury have all been axed within the last year here.

That’s a tweet about someone who is currently 24, that is 6.5 years old.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Yeah, Tony D should definitely end it all. I mean, an 18-19 year old saying stupid stuff isn't something that you can ever recover from. In fact, Tony is the only person to ever do such a thing. What a horrible human being.
Good thing we have such great folks out there who don't believe in redemption. I don't care if you go 20 years without an incident, we must never forget what happened when he was 18.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yeah, Tony D should definitely end it all. I mean, an 18-19 year old saying stupid stuff isn't something that you can ever recover from. In fact, Tony is the only person to ever do such a thing. What a horrible human being.
Good thing we have such great folks out there who don't believe in redemption. I don't care if you go 20 years without an incident, we must never forget what happened when he was 18.

Don’t tell Patrick Kane or Auston Matthews.

Reactions: Doriva

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Takes 10 seconds to google it. You know it's true, you just want to defend the player despite his flaws to try to artificially boost his value on a message board that is basically meaningless. Kind of sad actually.

I've been told this before by intolerant people who are trying to pass their own personal views on DeAngelo's views off as some known fact that he's racist. Either produce proof or stop your dangerous rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad