Management Dean Evason - Fired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I mean, they don't have to. The team is so cash-strapped this year and next that beggars can't be choosers for the players who are going to be willing to sign here. This reminds me all too well of Bruce was here and given a dogshit roster that final year. What else can Dean actually do outside of mandating practices that will only piss off the players even more and really lose the room?
If players are unwilling to practice when they’re 5-12, then the entire franchise should just dissolve.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Evason may have a crappy roster to work with, but it doesn't excuse his stubbornness when it comes to his decisions and line adjustments. The playoffs have been a great example of that....putting Fleury in for Game 2.....and waiting till we're near elimination before shuffling the lines.

Reactions: fgobuzz and AKL

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The fact that Gaudreau, who was abysmal today, was chosen to go before Rossi in OT today justifies him getting shot to the moon. It’s f***ing absurd how out of touch this front office and bench is when it comes to what it takes to win in this league.

I said it the other day, Guerin either doesn't understand the game has changed, or he's hell bent on proving his way is still the best. And he went and found a coach who agrees with him, and they've both proven themselves wrong in the last few seasons.

Last edited:

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I said it the other day, Guerin either doesn't understand the game has changed, or he's hell bent on proving his way is still the best. And he went and found a coach who agrees with him, and they've both proven themselves wrong in the last few seasons.
They’re both the type that have to be right, or they’ll die on whatever metaphorical hill they’ve clung too. It’s obvious at this point that BG and Dean have failed, yet there will be no accountability by either.

Reactions: TaLoN

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Dean holds no Vet accountable it seems. Plenty of comments about Boldy and Kap being bad which they have been yet how many games have they been scratched? Cooper down in Tampa sat kucherov stamkos and hedman I believe(?). You have to hold everyone accountable and the fact that he won’t probably doesn’t help him in the locker room.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Took a small sample of some of the first coaches that came to mind to see how long they spend with each team on average.

Laviolette averages about 4.2 years per team
Gallant averages 2.75
Ruff averages 7.67
Peter DeBoer averages 3
Todd McLellan averages 5
Boudreau averaged 3.75

There are always some exceptions, most of them seem to be the guys that have a lot of success (like Cooper in Tampa going on 11 years), but the average shelf life for a coach seems to be about 3-5 years. This is Dean's fourth full year, there has been no progression in terms of the teams record, and a lot of the issues people had with him back in in 2020 are still issues today. It seems like if there isn't a drastic change soon, and a playoff series victory in April, he's just reached his shelf life. Nothing to be ashamed of, but you can't keep trotting out the same thing for the next half a decade and just hope it's different this time.

Dean is also the 9th longest tenured head coach in the league, the only coaches who have been with their current team longer are Cooper, Sullivan (PIT), Bednar, Brind'Amour, Berube, McLellan, DJ Smith (OTT), and Keefe. Four of them have won Cups. Brind'Amour is a Carolina legend and fairly consistently wins at least a playoff round or two. There's just no reason we need to keep hitching our wagon to Evason if the results aren't there.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This isn't a contender roster it's, at best, a fringe Playoff roster. The roster is on the GM, so DE is safe until GMBG's seat starts getting hot. The coach is the scapegoat for the GM to buy himself more time. If the GM fires the coach early and the next guy doesn't do any better, or even worse, than the GM gets put under the microscope faster.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Dean holds no Vet accountable it seems. Plenty of comments about Boldy and Kap being bad which they have been yet how many games have they been scratched? Cooper down in Tampa sat kucherov stamkos and hedman I believe(?). You have to hold everyone accountable and the fact that he won’t probably doesn’t help him in the locker room.
I guess he did sit the skill guys at the end of the Dallas game, but even that was pretty absurd considering we gave up 5 PK goals and none of those guys PK and none took any penalties either, if I recall correctly.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I guess he did sit the skill guys at the end of the Dallas game, but even that was pretty absurd considering we gave up 5 PK goals and none of those guys PK and none took any penalties either, if I recall correctly.
Maybe those PK players needed ice time "to work through it"?

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Being that I’m a guy that feels we really need a few years of top 3 drafts picks I can say I’m loving Evasons performance this year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Being that I’m a guy that feels we really need a few years of top 3 drafts picks I can say I’m loving Evasons performance this year.

Yeah I actually don't want him fired this season, he's really showing some f***ing embrace in terms of getting this team the talent it needs

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I see what you did :laugh:
You didn't give us a decent interpretation so now we have to run with this! I'm with @AKL In that this should be our rallying cry going forward. That's on you!

Lol @Sweetnut I love it regardless, we're going to need every little bit of levity we can get with this season I think. So thank you!

• Love
Reactions: Sweetnut

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Surprised this topic isnt more active with Russo reporting Deans job is basically day to day now.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Surprised this topic isnt more active with Russo reporting Deans job is basically day to day now.
Seems kind of rote under the circumstances, even if it's deserved.

Firing him isn't really going to fix anything, but it's something that Guerin can do unilaterally and is relatively easy. The upside would be that he could appear responsive to the team's awful record and harp on about accountability. The downside is that all it's likely to do is hurt his draft position without yielding any playoff revenue. Short term it might placate some fans; medium-long term it just irritates everyone.

So a move with minimal short term upside and significant long term downside? I bet he's gone by Christmas.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
What I found most interesting about the article was Russo reporting that it’s really Leipold that’s giving the directive to make the playoffs every year. I know it’s been talked about before but I don’t think it’s ever been confirmed like this. Really unfortunate if true.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
What I found most interesting about the article was Russo reporting that it’s really Leipold that’s giving the directive to make the playoffs every year. I know it’s been talked about before but I don’t think it’s ever been confirmed like this. Really unfortunate if true.

I know it’s been stated that he doesn’t support tanking, and I believe through that narrative it’s indicated the “making the playoffs” directive. It would certainly explain some of the GM moves!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This is what the Zuccarello/Foligno/Hartman extensions felt like; try and keep the status quo as much as possible.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Our next three games are against STL, NSH, CHI. If we go:

- 0-3, Dean's gone.

- 1-2 probably gone.

- 3-0, or 2-1, he stays.

- 1-1-1.....ehhh?

If you are going to fire Dean, then you have to have an alternative. There is nothing on the existing staff that is suitable. I think that long term they were trying to groom Maclean, or at least see what they have in him, but it's way too early. It's not like he is setting the house on fire down in Iowa.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Given what BG gave him to work with this season, it sucks that he’ll become the most current scapegoat for this terrible team. Having to constantly run out AHL guys, and the likes of Goligoski, Maroon, Bagosian, Merril, Middleton, no coach could be successful, and that’s all on BG.

How long before BG plays the cap-constraint card, as an excuse for the terrible product he puts on the ice.

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
Given what BG gave him to work with this season, it sucks that he’ll become the most current scapegoat for this terrible team. Having to constantly run out AHL guys, and the likes of Goligoski, Maroon, Bagosian, Merril, Middleton, no coach could be successful, and that’s all on BG.

How long before BG plays the cap-constraint card, as an excuse for the terrible product he puts on the ice.
Ultimately it's on Guerin, but the mailbag also talked about how much Guerin talks to Evason about roster moves. Fiala's treatment had Evason's fingerprints all over it. No doubt Evason has campaigned for extending guys like Foligno, Hartman and Zuccarello. I wouldn't be surprised if Evason also supported the Maroon and Bogo acquisitions before they went down since Bogosian is much more of an Evason type of guy than Addison was.

He's not just some passive victim of a roster he had no input in shaping here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad