Player Discussion David Pastrnak X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
I'm telling myself I had a little piece of this signing credit, my Pasta jersey came in the mail yesterday!! :handclap::handclap:

Wanted 8 years but fine with the compromise.

Drop the puck already! Woooooooooo

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I am SHOCKED we got him in under 7. Insaaaaaaaane value. My first thought whe I saw this was Pasta must have cracked it and told his manager to zip it and take the deal cos he wants to come back and get into camp, probably not true but its just my gut feel, considering todays first day and now hes signed

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Great news! Love the term and hit. Like some have stated already, I'd imagine an 8-year deal would have been much more expensive.

:laugh: I love stuff like that. Before I moved to GA my son Sean Patrick went to school with the son of one of main men in the Hawks front office. When it came to insider info, he wouldn't gave me the time of day. His wife let me try on all 3 of his SC rings in the school parking lot after school when we were picking up our sons which was cool. :yo:

Now there's a creative euphemism! :naughty:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Great news! Love the term and hit. Like some have stated already, I'd imagine an 8-year deal would have been much more expensive.

Yes, it would have probably added somewhere between 0.5 and 1 million annually I suspect.

There are some potential benefits for the club on the 6 year deal.

At the end of the contract if you choose to extend him, you are working with a guy who will be 34/35 at the end of the extension, rather than 37, which means his 3rd contract is lower risk.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Yes sir.

Its guaranteed. July 1st of the year the signing bonus is allotted to JJ cuts him a lump sum check.

Even in legalese 'if there is a work stoppage'.

Pasta's is nothing ...ckeck out Bergy's 'salary' and bonus this year, next year and year after.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/boston-bruins/patrice-bergeron-1456/

money....money.....money...

It's a very interesting contract. I think yr to yr you can only deviate by a certain %--or maybe that's max to min years can only deviate by 50% (something like this). The 'lockout' year is his cheapest year as he is scheduled for $1m signing and only $3m salary. So if there was a complete lockout that year, Pasta only misses out on $3m out of his $40m contract.

So unlike some contracts making it painful to clubs by making them pay a $6m signing bonus that year, this one instead pays him for the years he will be working in the anticipation there is a lockout.

If he were paid the $8m he gets the first couple of years during the 'lockout' year (double) that would boost this contract up to 64/6 or $7.33 cap hit. So in that regard, you could look at this being a win for the club keeping the cap down but also a win for the player if there is a full lockout year. In fact, a full lockout would change his true pay for work to $37m over 5 years or $7.4m AAV while the cap hit remains $6.667.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Slow and steady won the day for the Don Sweeney and the Bruins.
A good deal for both parties.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
happy i was wrong when i said 7.5 after the draisailt signing... im ok its more than 6 all things considered... this weekend when i readusted my thinking based on the new facts and said that pastrnak would get a johnny gaudreau contract actually came true

it was complicated from day 1 with many moving parts. i said boston cap would be screwed at 7.5 but this 6.75 now does open the possibility we could sign iginla (or purcell)

pastrnak ended up taking less than bergeron and krejci and rask and chara which i feel is good for the team.

im going to say thank you for him for being reasonable.

i feel the health of the league required teams to be responsible so i thank management for doing the right thing here

its a win win win for player, team, but mostly us fans

go bruins go

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Awesome signing! More in line with what I was predicting before the Draisaitl signing. Very awesome that Pasta was willing to go ahead and sign the contract when he likely could have drawn things out and gotten a bit more. And super awesome that the contract is at about the right point to keep Pasta motivated and hungry. He will get PAID when this contract is up if he busts his tail and plays at an elite level. It's enough term to keep the current core together for a good amount of time, and the salary is going to open up money to improve the team. Gotta give a lot of props to both Sweeney and Pasta. This turned out about as well is it could have possibly turned out.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
happy i was wrong when i said 7.5 after the draisailt signing... im ok its more than 6 all things considered... this weekend when i readusted my thinking based on the new facts and said that pastrnak would get a johnny gaudreau contract actually came true

it was complicated from day 1 with many moving parts. i said boston cap would be screwed at 7.5 but this 6.75 now does open the possibility we could sign iginla (or purcell)

pastrnak ended up taking less than bergeron and krejci and rask and chara which i feel is good for the team.

im going to say thank you for him for being reasonable.

i feel the health of the league required teams to be responsible so i thank management for doing the right thing here

its a win win win for player, team, but mostly us fans

go bruins go

They always had the money to sign Iginla, even if Pasta got 7.5

What would Purcell cost? 700k?

And he's not making less than Krejci or Rask. He's getting 8 million this season, same as Marchand and Backes, less than Bergeron.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Thanks for posting that.

So essentially JJ ponied up and yielded on basically paying him for a years worth + even if there is no season.

if theres a lockout in year 4... he will get 30 mill in salary the other 5 seasons which is a 6 mill average... and of course a total of 7 mill signing bonus paid out in 3 differnt seasons.

in a way if we are assuming there will be a lockout then hes getting 37 mill over 6 years which is what boston wanted to pay pretty much all along

that extra 3 mill is contigent on there being a season

it does suck to pay someone sitting at home... but teams do this for injuries and buyouts all the time.

its interesting to me that this deal is very likely 37 mill over 6 years and very likely extremely close to the 36 mill over 6 years i predicted and defended for months here before the insane draisailt deal

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
They always had the money to sign Iginla, even if Pasta got 7.5

What would Purcell cost? 700k?

And he's not making less than Krejci or Rask. He's getting 8 million this season, same as Marchand and Backes, less than Bergeron.

front loaded deal... average salary is more important. with a lockout in year 4 pastrnak will take home 37 mill over 6 years. marchand will take home 36 mill over same time period

bruins are not significantly paying pastrnak more than marchand over the next 6 years either

job well done guys

as for signing iginla... only if he was willing to play for 600-700k. bruins were going to be forced to use all elc guys at 7.5

this lets them boost one elc contract to a million and still have a couple hundred k wiggle room

im happy fan today

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
front loaded deal... average salary is more important. with a lockout in year 4 pastrnak will take home 37 mill over 6 years. marchand will take home 36 mill over same time period

bruins are not significantly paying pastrnak more than marchand over the next 6 years either

job well done guys

as for signing iginla... only if he was willing to play for 600-700k. bruins were going to be forced to use all elc guys at 7.5

this lets them boost one elc contract to a million and still have a couple hundred k wiggle room

im happy fan today

I always thought you were way to high but appreciated the passion

Jack Eichel needs to sign a similar deal where he is a UFA at 26 or so and he can sign here

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Bostons new cap situation after pastrnak signed

cap friendly has us with 2.61 mill available based on a 22 man roster

There is 690k in potential rookie bonus money

Teams normally want to leave at least 1 mill unspent so they can make moves at deadline

Next year only chara and khubodin might be cheaper... only spooner might be more expensive. This is good news and bad news. We can afford the current team but we dont have room for much increase

So what we got is what we get... plus whatever kids might make the team.

We have roughly 1 mill to sign a 14th forward and still leave 1 mill room for the deadline... 1 mill should be enough to sign iginla

I predict it will happen

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Bostons new cap situation after pastrnak signed

cap friendly has us with 2.61 mill available based on a 22 man roster

There is 690k in potential rookie bonus money

Teams normally want to leave at least 1 mill unspent so they can make moves at deadline

Next year only chara and khubodin might be cheaper... only spooner might be more expensive. This is good news and bad news. We can afford the current team but we dont have room for much increase

So what we got is what we get... plus whatever kids might make the team.

We have roughly 1 mill to sign a 14th forward and still leave 1 mill room for the deadline... 1 mill should be enough to sign iginla

I predict it will happen

Just need one rookie D not named McAvoy to step up and McQuaid can be traded saving about $2m.
Seidenberg/Hayes buyouts drop down $0.7m next year.
If Beleskey can't rediscover his scoring touch then he could be moved with an incentive (prospect) for $3.8m.

There is plenty of cap flexibility under Sweeney. For me, this is the main reason Chia is now overspending someone else's team.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Does he really like playing in Boston though?

It seems like he was testing the waters for an offer sheet, and didn't get one and signed last minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad