Player Discussion David Pastrnak X

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Agreed. I never had any doubt that he was going to sign, but it's still such a great feeling to have him back for so long, and at such a great deal. We have Marchand, Bergeron, and Pastrnak together for at least 5 years... Awesome. :)

I always get excited this time of year, but I'm even more excited now. The sky is really the limit with him. I remember being so high on Seguin, especially after his second year, but I honestly think that Pastrnak is so far ahead of where Seguin was at this time. Seguin's 4th year was the year he started contending for the Art Ross. I don't want to set my expectations too high but I honestly think that Pasta has the skill (and DEFINITELY the linemates) to start doing that as well. An entire year of 63-37-88 healthy and at their best is just downright scary.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear this is going to happen.... at least not to start. Cassidy mentioned utilizing "pairs" on the top 2 lines. March-Berg-xxx and xxx-Krejci-Pasta. I sort of understand the idea of spreading out the scoring, but in the same sense, I don't understand how you break up the most dynamic line in hockey last year.... especially considering the plethora of options they have with the influx of young talent.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Why did he accept a lowball contract?

the only way this is a lowball contract is if you accept draisailt contract as anything other than a bad deal. In my own effort to build a case for 7.5 I was looking forward to the possible deals that laine/mattews/eichel/marner were possibly going to get

there was no historical deals to base a 7 million dollar deal on other than draisailt.

of course, if boston had bowed down like I did and had given pastrnak 7+ then the down hill rolling stone would have gathered more momentum and who knows where things could have ended up for the league?

pastrnaks deal is still high above where I was origionally analyzing the market before the draisailt contract but the structure of the deal is interesting. if we believe he wont ever get paid for the 1 season during a lockout then the deal only pays out 37 million dollars over the next 6 seasons which is pretty damn close to the 36 million I was viewing to be the right number... and very close to the 36 million that the team was reportedly offering all along.

the difference where pastrnak benefits is of course the lockout protection. without any lockout protection he would be getting around 30 million instead of 37 million... so his agent did great for him

the structure of the deal isn't all about salary bonus... theres some front loading as well. but the overall intention of the deal remains the same. pastrnaks camp clearly wanted to make sure they got their money as dom was the first to tell us months ago. Jacobs clearly didn't want to just hand over gigantic signing bonus... but ultimately the deal was structured to pay pastrnak his 6 million even if the season is lost

and if the season isn't lost... then the extra 3 mill kicks in and the average jumps to the 6.7 which is the highest end to what second year contracts have been in the past. this is the same money that Calgary gave johnny hockey. so there is a precedent for it.

all in all the deal is very logical for both sides and gives both sides what they wanted as much as is possible anytime that both sides have to compromise. there was compromise but they both still got the lions share of what they were both after.

I found it fun to guess what was going to go on... never for one second did I believe there was any intention to not get a deal done. I never for one second thought there was any possibility of a trade. I might have made a trade personally depending what was offered, but never did I think the team was going to. it never had any of the feeling to me that past deals with Hamilton/kessel had.

the reality is boston has had multiple superstars needing new contracts in recent years and there has been almost no problems getting them signed. even seguin and thornton and wheeler all signed... signing them wasn't a problem. Bergeron, marchand, lucic, rask, Thomas, chara all signed... it hasn't been a problem signing anyone really except Hamilton who we offered the money too... and kessel who wasn't fitting in.

I hope our own fan base can start to accept the reality... for at least the past 15 years this has been a well run organization that keeps the players it wants to keep and builds a competitive team within the limitations of the cap world and the reverse draft system.

this isn't our father's bruin team under the management of sinden where they deserved the cheap reputation

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Because it's not.

Better question is why are you so adamant to overpaying him?

No kidding

The deal was good for both sides

Low ball????

I'd say 100 % Pastrnak got over paid

3/15 5 AVV

6/36 6 AVV

8/56 7 AVV

Would have been my offers and he got $6.67

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Why did he accept a lowball contract?

lowball? Um, nope, this 21 year old kid is now officially a millionaire. I think the contract is more than fair. Could he or his agent squeezed more out of the B`s? I`m now not so sure, I think our boy Donny drew a line in the sand, Pasta wanted to play and not miss camp, was more than comfortable with that number and now he`s here, tis not like the kid took 4 mill

https://nesn.com/2017/09/david-pastrnak-thanks-bruins-mom-in-celebratory-tweet-after-extension/

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
lowball? Um, nope, this 21 year old kid is now officially a millionaire. I think the contract is more than fair. Could he or his agent squeezed more out of the B`s? I`m now not so sure, I think our boy Donny drew a line in the sand, Pasta wanted to play and not miss camp, was more than comfortable with that number and now he`s here, tis not like the kid took 4 mill

https://nesn.com/2017/09/david-pastrnak-thanks-bruins-mom-in-celebratory-tweet-after-extension/

Disagree.

Regardless of what both sides said in the media (it was all basically rhetoric), I firmly believe that the dollars were agreed to even before Edmonton dished out that contract to LD. What they couldn't agree on was guaranteed money when it comes to two potential lockout years, 2020 or 2022.

I've posted that as early as six weeks ago - and look, that's what it came out to.

Neither side was going to negotiate in the media and why there was a quiet period. They couldn't come to an early agreement on the guarantees.

We'll see when the details come out. But I've heard $3 million in bonuses in 2020 and 2022. But that's not confirmed.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Disagree.

Regardless of what both sides said in the media (it was all basically rhetoric), I firmly believe that the dollars were agreed to even before Edmonton dished out that contract to LD. What they couldn't agree on was guaranteed money when it comes to two potential lockout years, 2020 or 2022.

I've posted that as early as six weeks ago - and look, that's what it came out to.

Neither side was going to negotiate in the media and why there was a quiet period. They couldn't come to an early agreement on the guarantees.

We'll see when the details come out. But I've heard $3 million in bonuses in 2020 and 2022. But that's not confirmed.

Fine Dom, just cloud my opinions with facts:laugh:

Either way, I think this is a fair contract, nice to have everyone signed and hopefully in camp for Pasta today or tomorrow

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Unfortunately it doesn't appear this is going to happen.... at least not to start. Cassidy mentioned utilizing "pairs" on the top 2 lines. March-Berg-xxx and xxx-Krejci-Pasta. I sort of understand the idea of spreading out the scoring, but in the same sense, I don't understand how you break up the most dynamic line in hockey last year.... especially considering the plethora of options they have with the influx of young talent.

That's ok, too. I think it'll be good experience for Pasta to really carry his own line, and I'd like to see Krejci find his confidence again.

Whenever we need to score, 63-37-88 will be on the ice. I imagine they'll be together often, but I'd rather have 2 great lines than one amazing line.

Bjork and DeBrusk are very young, but they're talented. Two big question marks but hopefully they hit. I'd like for our lines to get some chemistry early in the season... That was a problem last year all year long, and it's been a problem for Krejci since 2013. He's probably giddy with Pasta on his wing right now, and we all know how much Pasta idolizes Krejci. Just have to find the right guy to match with them.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Close to home and David Krecji.
Because it's not.

Better question is why are you so adamant to overpaying him?

I was trying to poke fun at someone like Haggerty who was offended that the Bruins offered two "lowball" offers of 6x6 and 6x7 to the point that he called out ownership about how they deal with young guys, and then when Pastrnak accepts a contract worth about +$600k more, he praises Sweeeny and ownership. I should have included a :sarcasm:.

It was clear those offers were a starting point to negotiations. What I was surprised and happy about was what Pastrnak actually signed for. Long term, I thought Pastrnak would probably get $7-$7.5M for 8 years and even at 6 years, I thought the AAV would be a lot closer to $7M than $6.5M. Sweeney did a great job.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So so nice to see him back and get hockey back soon.

That 1 contract got me worried with where's this one going, but a great cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad