Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
watching chara and mcquaid go to the box at the same time last night... and listening to the oiler broadcast where they were suggesting lucic go start something with kevan miller...

punches home the danger of having only dmen capable of fighting on your team. you MUST have a couple forwards able to dance with the big boys too.

I think the future of belesky is limited here... and then who will be able to go up front? we sure don't want marchand fighting anyone 6'3 and 225.

a lot of people have been saying how its not important to have a goon that will just fight other goons and I totally agree. that's a waste of a roster space imho. BUT the value of a guy that can play 16-18 mins AND be a hw fighter has never been higher

backes might not fight a lot at his age. he might never have been a guy that fights a lot. but he WILL answer the bell when the game conditions demand it.

its possible chara will be gone after next year... one of mcquaid/killer might be gone... belesky might be gone.

having backes on the 3rd line helping with the defense and providing some very much needed muscel will very likely be important

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
watching chara and mcquaid go to the box at the same time last night... and listening to the oiler broadcast where they were suggesting lucic go start something with kevan miller...

punches home the danger of having only dmen capable of fighting on your team. you MUST have a couple forwards able to dance with the big boys too.

I think the future of belesky is limited here... and then who will be able to go up front? we sure don't want marchand fighting anyone 6'3 and 225.

a lot of people have been saying how its not important to have a goon that will just fight other goons and I totally agree. that's a waste of a roster space imho. BUT the value of a guy that can play 16-18 mins AND be a hw fighter has never been higher

backes might not fight a lot at his age. he might never have been a guy that fights a lot. but he WILL answer the bell when the game conditions demand it.

its possible chara will be gone after next year... one of mcquaid/killer might be gone... belesky might be gone.

having backes on the 3rd line helping with the defense and providing some very much needed muscel will very likely be important

Backes is not a fighter,he may have a thing with Toews or Benn,but fighting Lucic or anyone else outside of a skill player risks some serious damage.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Agreed. He's big and he can drop them but we need him to pick his spots. He shouldn't go with actual scrappers. Can't have him getting hurt. They are a lot better when he's in the lineup

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Cehlarik and Czarnik sent down yesterday- maybe they should give Tyler Randell another look to fill that role; I don't want Backes dropping them with goons either- not only is he not really a fighter, but he's also at the stage in life where not much good physically can come of it.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Agreed. He's big and he can drop them but we need him to pick his spots. He shouldn't go with actual scrappers. Can't have him getting hurt. They are a lot better when he's in the lineup

He's less than .500 against regular players,he'd get hurt if he went up a level.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Backes is not a fighter,he may have a thing with Toews or Benn,but fighting Lucic or anyone else outside of a skill player risks some serious damage.

wouldnt expect him to ko a heavyweight... just need someone that can avoid getting hurt... answer the bell

most teams have weight class. im not sure how many teams have two or more superweights. hopefully bruins will always have at least 1 superweight. once chara/mcquaid are gone hopefully find a replacement

k miller and backes are a step down... id say backes another step below that.

edmonton is skating 5 serious guys most nights but they are the exception.

having a guy like backes able to go id a benefit

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
wouldnt expect him to ko a heavyweight... just need someone that can avoid getting hurt... answer the bell

most teams have weight class. im not sure how many teams have two or more superweights. hopefully bruins will always have at least 1 superweight. once chara/mcquaid are gone hopefully find a replacement

k miller and backes are a step down... id say backes another step below that.

edmonton is skating 5 serious guys most nights but they are the exception.

having a guy like backes able to go id a benefit

I'm not sure of the importance of fighting in this league. Not sure what fighting accomplished against Edmonton for either team,except to remove Chara from the ice.. Let Edmonton seek to employ Kassian and Falloon types. Maybe Falloon is the real deal but more likely this season is a total fluke. If McDavid can coax 24 goals out of Falloon,how about a player with track record? I'd look to build a team of skill and let the toughness fall where it falls.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cehlarik and Czarnik sent down yesterday- maybe they should give Tyler Randell another look to fill that role; I don't want Backes dropping them with goons either- not only is he not really a fighter, but he's also at the stage in life where not much good physically can come of it.

Randell doesn't have a goal this year. He's not needed. I like him but he's too slow

They don't have to worry about goons anymore. And besides, if they do they have McQuaid. No need to put a plug in the lineup

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Randell doesn't have a goal this year. He's not needed. I like him but he's too slow

They don't have to worry about goons anymore. And besides, if they do they have McQuaid. No need to put a plug in the lineup

I don't really want Randell up, but I'd rather have him out there on the 4th line than Jimmy Hayes because he won't under produce in that comparison and he can drop them when needed. He did score a few nice goals last season, too.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
What's a myth?

That there is such a thing as "Bruins hockey". The 70s Bruins were a helluva lot different from the 80s Bruins,never mind the present Bruins. Today's Bruins are different from the 90s Bruins and even the 2011 Bruins. In recent years the Bruins have played many games where they appear disinterested. Heavy hitting,accountable,rough and tumble,lunch pail hockey is not this version of the Bruins.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site

no reason whatsoever why backes should be on line 2 and Chelarik in providence. My eye test (aside from 2 games) tells me that with Chelarik in the lineup, krejci line produced way more offensive chances.

BruinsGM

Jul 17, 2007
Boston/Ann Arbor
My thoughts on Backes are similar to my thoughts on Beleskey...

Backes needs to understand his freaking role. I can't understand for the life of me why he isn't using his size and making life miserable for the opponents every single shift. Especially after losing 3 straight, Backes should have been a freight train tonight. Especially in the first 5-10 minutes of the game. Instead, he was slow and unengaged. That reach out drag down penalty in the third says it all. If he's not going to move his legs, then he will not provide a physical boost to his team. I thought the Bruins were going to be a heavier team to play against with Backes, but honestly this team is as soft as a freshly baked pretzel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad