Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think if you keep pounding the same player,you might force a mistake and you might wear him down. Conversely,the hitting game can be an issue when teams employ quick transitions and speed,where you are now a step behind,you get worn out and injured yourself,or in the new pacifist NHL,get a penalty. I loved the hitting game,now question it's contribution to wins,but I do not question the value of a physical game.

Fair enough, I totally see where you're coming from

I will say this- I like the kings and the ducks models for success. But I do agree that a large volume of hits are inconsequential. I think Backes is one of the hardest hitting forwards in the league though when he wants to be, and I do think he throws heavier, devastating hits that impact the game more than say a Marchand would (who definitely uses his body and hits people, but for the most part are pretty tame)

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
I have no idea anymore how body checks help you win anything.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, so this may be a wasted post...

I love playing against opponents who don't follow through with hits and/or instead do fly-byes, stick checks. It doesn't take long to figure out who is who.
It allows you to hold the play a second longer, keep my eye on the puck a 1/2 second longer, etc. It's great!

Playing against teams that follow through, and have some "monsters" is not nearly as fun. It causes you to adjust how you play. Not so much "playing scared"... But just the awareness and adjustment changes the game (speaking for myself only)...although the eye test watching NHL games seems to support that it translates.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
check how many teams don't dress physical players... tell their guys don't hit anyone... it might help clue you in

but even if it doesn't, trust me 30 nhl coaches understand it and 720 nhl players understand it... its difficult to do... so they don't do it every single shift but trust me they will continue to understand how it helps them win and will continue to do it even though it is exhausting and can hurt

Chicago and Pittsburgh are not exactly physical teams, but that obviously hasn't hurt their chances to win the Stanley Cup in recent years.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Have you ever played hockey? I can assure you whether it's making the player more panicked with the puck after taking constant body checks all night or pumping up the team with a big hit, both definitely play a hand in helping you win.

Played hockey for 40 years. We're talking about the value of Backes' hitting. If everyone hit like Backes,then you have a point. Backes' 3 hits a game don't amount to much. The Bruins average about 22 hits a game,vast majority are inconsequential. Playing physical is a different animal.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What do you see the Czarnik stat line being after 70-75 games on Bergy's wing? Am I being overly optimistic with 14/22/36?

So then you tell me if you see the difference being worth what we're getting from the upgrade to Backes. And obviously Czarnik or anyone is a year fix till my proposed trades before expansion. We also have a glut of young wingers about to compete for spots.

Yes.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
What do you see the Czarnik stat line being after 70-75 games on Bergy's wing? Am I being overly optimistic with 14/22/36?

So then you tell me if you see the difference being worth what we're getting from the upgrade to Backes. And obviously Czarnik or anyone is a year fix till my proposed trades before expansion. We also have a glut of young wingers about to compete for spots.

Austin Czarnik on the top line could keep this team from being in the playoff hunt right now, he brings very little to the table. He's fast. That's nice.

Arguing anything but stats with you seems somewhat pointless (like arguing analytics with me) so I would expect 8-15-23, he is not an NHL player and in no way shape or form a top line NHL player. Maybe a fourth line penalty killer on a soft team, would have been a great Red Wing or Hurricane a couple years ago.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Played hockey for 40 years. We're talking about the value of Backes' hitting. If everyone hit like Backes,then you have a point. Backes' 3 hits a game don't amount to much. The Bruins average about 22 hits a game,vast majority are inconsequential. Playing physical is a different animal.

I agree with this to a point, it depends. A huge hit, like a fight, can wake a team up and swing momentum. It's the reason I haven't given up on Belesky yet and hope he comes back in shape next year.

Both Belesky and Backes are overpaid, both were UFA's, UFA's get overpaid, at least the ones who go in the first couple days. If you want a popular free agent you pay. You can argue if the team is rebuilding you pass on Backes and wait, that depends on how long Sweeney/Neely see the rebuild taking. If you think you are a cup contender in three years from last summer you make this move realizing you are going to eat a couple years of Backes being a penalty killer/3rd liner.

There is not a Backes/Lucic/Belesky style player available as a UFA this off season, you take them when you can. I put value on a complete player who hits, fights, back checks, and scores.

I can also say I think you would have hated playing against me

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Chicago and Pittsburgh are not exactly physical teams, but that obviously hasn't hurt their chances to win the Stanley Cup in recent years.

la and boston are considered 2 of the most physical teams in the league

id say chicagos reputation is fairly rough and tumble too. i know a guy like byron bickell became a hero there.

pittsburgh doesnt run anyone over... but memory tells me we own then in playoffs. perhaps they were lucky in their matchups last year? i think their chances at a cup were hurt by their lack of physicality for the last 6 years before when more physical teams were winning (including us)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The more you talk the less I trust. Physical play? Yes. Bodychecks? Once in awhile.

Top 5 hitting teams-LA-Arizona-Anaheim-Ottawa-Edm. Bottom 5-Chicago-Minn-Carolina-Van-Columbus.

hits are a stat awarded by a statatian. physical play is how real players play the game under the instruction of coaches. which one do you think im talking about?

honest to god i havent looked at the hits stats at nhl.com for at least 3 years. id much rather watch the games and listen to the players and coaches talk about their experiences

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
la and boston are considered 2 of the most physical teams in the league

id say chicagos reputation is fairly rough and tumble too. i know a guy like byron bickell became a hero there.

pittsburgh doesnt run anyone over... but memory tells me we own then in playoffs. perhaps they were lucky in their matchups last year? i think their chances at a cup were hurt by their lack of physicality for the last 6 years before when more physical teams were winning (including us)

Today? uh no.

Think about our roster man. You can *maybe* name 6 physical players, 1 of them hasn't even been physical and is riding the pine most nights. Quader and Chara, ok. Backes, ok. Then you really start to get to reaches.

We WERE a physical team. I don't even mind this btw. Just trying to disprove your false statement. Without a doubt more than 2/3's of the 18 are not physically imposing players, and many of them are undersized by NHL standards.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
:handclap:
I'll take 40 points from David Backes with everything he brings than 60 from Jaromir Jagr or Alex Semin.

Amen.

I suppose it's sacrilege because they were both great players, but I always hated Lemieux & Jagr. Mostly because they were so damn good and beat the B's every time -- the ususal reason.

You couldn't pay me to take Semin. Ugh.

I'll take Riley Nash any day. No, I am not kidding.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not, so this may be a wasted post...

I love playing against opponents who don't follow through with hits and/or instead do fly-byes, stick checks. It doesn't take long to figure out who is who.
It allows you to hold the play a second longer, keep my eye on the puck a 1/2 second longer, etc. It's great!

Playing against teams that follow through, and have some "monsters" is not nearly as fun. It causes you to adjust how you play. Not so much "playing scared"... But just the awareness and adjustment changes the game (speaking for myself only)...although the eye test watching NHL games seems to support that it translates.

There you have it. And from a purely practical POV.

I love hitting, "sandpaper," etc. LOVE IT. It's one of the very best aspects of our game. Don't care for what Derek liked to call the "Fancy Dan" types.

I'll take David Backes over that kind of player 10 times out of 10, and I don't really care if the latter is gifted scoring machine. I like defense first, in your face, banging hockey.

At its best, Bruins hockey. :)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Today? uh no.

Think about our roster man. You can *maybe* name 6 physical players, 1 of them hasn't even been physical and is riding the pine most nights. Quader and Chara, ok. Backes, ok. Then you really start to get to reaches.

We WERE a physical team. I don't even mind this btw. Just trying to disprove your false statement. Without a doubt more than 2/3's of the 18 are not physically imposing players, and many of them are undersized by NHL standards.

maybe i didnt ecplain my understanding well. i never meant to suggest you can beat your opponents up. i dont care how many hits are acredited. i dont care who wins a fight

its about showing up... its about standing your ground... its about fundamentals. its about team unity... having each others back. its about showing up for face scrums... protecting your goalie... gojng into the corners... taking a hit to make a play

its accountability.

and its physical. guys bump each other every shift if they are physical like backes or marchand. they get in scrums a dozen times in a game. they are nasty to play against. it matters

a guy like george laraque could win a fight but it didnt matter. a guy like matt cooke could throw a devastating cheapshot hit... but it didn't matter

for 100 years guys like gordie howe and cam neely have been considered mega stars because having a physical element helps

of course so do many other skills...tools

but one thing i learnt from 45 years of watching nhl... if a team gets intimidated they will loose big time. you dont have to be the most physical team but you must be physical enough

backes adds enough physicality to offset having 2-3 soft guys out there with him... but he needs support. he cant do it alone. luckily he doesnt have to. we have at least 10 guys who play hockey the right way

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Just saw the highlights, I'll definitely take it! That first goal was the kind of thing I really hope to see a lot of in the playoffs. Nice to see a 4 in the shot column too.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

I love hitting, "sandpaper," etc. LOVE IT. It's one of the very best aspects of our game. Don't care for what Derek liked to call the "Fancy Dan" types.

I'll take David Backes over that kind of player 10 times out of 10, and I don't really care if the latter is gifted scoring machine. I like defense first, in your face, banging hockey.

At its best, Bruins hockey
. :)

That's how I like to see the game played.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

A myth.

Hooah4

Apr 4, 2007
Maungie, PA

Back to your office, Cam.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I don't see anything on tonight's Calgary game, so if you haven't seen the game he went hard into the boards knees first and needed help off the ice.
He the comes back in the 2 ND period , tests the knees, and on his second shift he scores the winner!
I am not sure what Bruin fans want from a player but I was a fan of Backes since forever and was happy we got him and still am!
Not every player can be Brad or Patrice but I bet both those guys are extatic to have him on their line!

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Bring up all the stats you want (actually, go ahead, bring up this year's point totals), but what happened tonight shows me exactly why between Loui's contract and Backes' contract, I take David's eight days a week.

Different in certain ways, but gives that same veteran nose-to-the-grindstone attitude that Mark Recchi did.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
On a 20 goal, 40+ point pace. 12 points in his last 15 games.

Leads the Bruins in hits by a decent margin with 190.

Plays both PP and PK.

As we saw last night, the type of leadership you need to win big games.

We can debate what that contract will look like in year 4 and 5 forever. Who really knows?

Bottom line, I love watching David Backes in a Bruins uniform right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad