Rumor: Dater: MacKinnon Seeking to Be the NHL's Highest Paid Player

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He’s been ridiculously underpaid his whole career, so I dont begrudge him asking for the moon.

That said, the Avalanche’s analytics department is going to REALLY get nuts finding undervalued contributors to work around a contract like that.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That was before they built a good team and won the cup.

Yea I was thinking this after the fact. Hes got his ring so now he can focus on getting paid.

He’s been ridiculously underpaid his whole career, so I dont begrudge him asking for the moon.

That said, the Avalanche’s analytics department is going to REALLY get nuts finding undervalued contributors to work around a contract like that.

Thats partially on him and his agent for agreeing to the deal way back. He had come off some mediocre seasons (after a stellar rookie year) and didn't look like the top guy he is today. Could have bet on himself with a 2 or 3 year deal, but in the long run it worked out for him and the team.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I remember him saying he would take less to help the Avs build a good team.
a thing of beauty when an athlete makes a commitment like that and it works out like it did for the Avalanche. they build a GREAT team.

edit: saw you just posted a followup. :)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I've been told that it's just "business", when Huberdeau got traded the way he did. And he shouldn't put up any fuss about it. So then I guess that means when a player says they want to get paid, no one should have a problem with it.

If he does he has the right to do so, but like I've mentioned multiple times in this thread, he's never said anything of the sorts. People are still looking at the thread title and taking it as a fact when it's just Dater speculating.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
14.5M is ridiculous. If he was willing to take a risk a 2 x 12.5M would be perfect. I feel with the high end stars actually getting paid fairly they can earn enough to start doing short term deals to maximize their earnings. They can hit a long term deal at 29-30 because someone will pay. I feel the same about Matthews, he will have earned around 65M by age 26. He could sign 2 x 15M and with cap increases could be making 20M by the time he is 30 or 31. If he has a career ending injury on a short term deal he will have already made generational money.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
To be fair, a 8x13M deal actually would still be a sizable discount. I think people struggle to understand just how much value the best players in the league provide.

This past season, guys like Matthews and Makar provided over $20M of value to their respective teams. Mackinnon's value this year was about $17M.

View attachment 575703

That being said, it would effectively end the Avs chances as a top tier cup contender after this season. There's simply no way we'd be able to keep the quality of the roster we have while paying Mackinnon $13M.
It will make it much tougher, but if the rumors about the cap ceiling exploding in (I believe two off seasons?) are true, then u guys might get bailed out due to timing.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
lol. he most definitely could have been gone from the Avalanche and be getting paid a lot more money by now. rookie season you could see he was top tier. i blame the slump on shitty coaching but yeah it was disappointing--however there is no chance he couldn't have just arbitrated his way to free agency and would be making a lot more right now somewhere else.
Team control and bargining power. You must be new to this.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Team control and bargining power. You must be new to this.
totally new to this. shit man, didn't realize he wasn't able to arbitrate this entire time and get out last year or the year before. also being a pain about it usually sends signals to the team and they'll trade you before then.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
those owners might push hard for extra cap creep because otherwise this is gonna spiral out of control. Makar will need like 20m/year on his next far away contract.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
totally new to this. shit man, didn't realize he wasn't able to arbitrate this entire time and get out last year or the year before. also being a pain about it usually sends signals to the team and they'll trade you before then.
That didn’t happen. Sure that happens but this wasn’t the case Mack was trending -60 point player . Then he Smashed the door open after he signed his contract .up to that point he signed a very fair contract that was the going rate see Monahan. Mack has always been about winning at one point he said he would sign a team friendly contract to win. You’re wrong now and will be wrong again when you replay to this post.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
That didn’t happen. Sure that happens but this wasn’t the case Mack was trending -60 point player . Then he Smashed the door open after he signed his contract .up to that point he signed a very fair contract that was the going rate see Monahan. Mack has always been about winning at one point he said he would sign a team friendly contract to win. You’re wrong now and will be wrong again when you replay to this post.
could have happened had he insisted on a huge contract after his entry level whether he deserved it or not. So no, not wrong. He took the deal because he liked it there, saw potential, and he knew it would help the team. Usually teams pay for potential when it comes to guys with the highest expectations. Avs didn't pay anything for potential.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
could have happened had he insisted on a huge contract after his entry level whether he deserved it or not. So no, not wrong. He took the deal because he liked it there, saw potential, and he knew it would help the team. Usually teams pay for potential when it comes to guys with the highest expectations. Avs didn't pay anything for potential.
Could have does not reflect what happened. You still don’t have a clue. But then again you’re a fan of ninnynot Colorado go ahead and take the L here

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

Nah he signed a decent contract for his production at the time then figured things out. Tavares in NYI and Draisaitl currently is ridiculously underpaid

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Nah he signed a decent contract for his production at the time then figured things out. Tavares in NYI and Draisaitl currently is ridiculously underpaid

It is about value he provided during the contract. Draisaitl sitatuation is identical so not sure why you brought him up as counter argument.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The AAV on MacKinnon’s last contract was fair at the time. It was the term that didn’t make sense. It should’ve been a bridge at that price. If at 25 he was still the same exact player that he was when he signed it at 20, he’s worth more than $6.3 in those two UFA years he sold. And at 20 years old, continued development was a fairly reasonable expectation.

From what we know of MacKinnon’s personality, It’s surprising that he hedged and didn’t bet on himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad