Rumor: Dater: MacKinnon Seeking to Be the NHL's Highest Paid Player

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
If Makar was a UFA and not an RFA, he would have likely gotten around 14 mil so more than MacK.
Obviously. Still funny to think that you don’t have to even be the best player on your team to be able to demand for highest pay in the league.

Reactions: mclaren55 and Soedy

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
On the latest 32T podcast, Elliotte Friedman said MacKinnon could possibly be the highest paid player in the NHL surpassing CMD. $12.5M. They are close to getting a new contract done.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
12.6 to 13.5 million over 8 years.

Those are my numbers. Every playoffs he has performed.
If MacKinnon likes money more than winning, then he gets that. That will completely handcuff the team. I sincerely doubt he gets that. I remember he talked about winning over money earlier?

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
🤣🤣😅 it's a joke that the best player on the planet is paid more handsomely then Mackinnon????

Is this real life???

In fairness, he said "way more". That said, MacK was not even close to the player he is today when he signed his contract so the whole premise of the comment is irrelevant.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I’m sure his agent and the NHLPA would want him to become the highest paid player at the time he signs. It’s important for the absolute superstars to keep raising the bar when their contract is up, especially with how long some of these deals go. Even if it’s slightly more than McDavid, say 13 mill a year.

Reactions: Morrison

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
It sucks for Avs fans but it’s the right move by him. It’s a joke that McDavid is paid way more than he is honestly
WTF?
McDavid had a career high of 108 points before his contract set in(career 1.22 ppg) 2 Art Ross', 2 Lindsays, and a Hart
MacKinnon had a career high of 63 points before his contract set in(career .70 ppg)

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I’m sure his agent and the NHLPA would want him to become the highest paid player at the time he signs. It’s important for the absolute superstars to keep raising the bar when their contract is up, especially with how long some of these deals go. Even if it’s slightly more than McDavid, say 13 mill a year.

I don't think the NHLPA would care. If anything, superstar salaries rising just squeezes the larger contingent of middle class NHL players in this flat cap environment.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I thought he was quite the competitor. Does he want to play 8yrs on a team that wont contend?
I'll clean outhouses after a chilli cook off for 100+ million dollars over 8 years. Players aren't saints or charities. They want to be paid their worth just like everyone else

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Even if the "it will handcuff the team" argument held water, only for a year or two.
The contract won't even start until 23-24, and after that the Cap will catch up to where it would have been if it weren't for the last few years.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Even if the "it will handcuff the team" argument held water, only for a year or two.
The contract won't even start until 23-24, and after that the Cap will catch up to where it would have been if it weren't for the last few years.
It won't even handcuff the team, with Erik Johnson's contract coming off the books next season, Colorado basically already has 12.3M committed to MacKinnon.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Would anyone really bat an eye if he was signed to a 13Mx8? Seems like fair value to me. Matthews is going to sign for more than that next year then McDavid will surpass him again next year.
I heard that Bill Daly expects the cap to raise significantly in 2 years. Hope MacKinnons agent doesn't hear that :sarcasm:
13x8 seems fair

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
If MacKinnon likes money more than winning, then he gets that. That will completely handcuff the team. I sincerely doubt he gets that. I remember he talked about winning over money earlier?
Yes he said that but Colorado can afford 12.5 because Erik Johnson contract @ 6M finish after this season.
The only problem is Byram next contract

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Yes he said that but Colorado can afford 12.5 because Erik Johnson contract @ 6M finish after this season.
The only problem is Byram next contract
It´s not about what you can afford - it sets a bar. "If blabla player gets 13M, I should get this". Lehkonen and Nischuskin were 1-1,5M too high. Now if MacKinnon gets 13-13,5M, what might Toews, Byram and newhook want? However, if MacKinnon would settle for 10,5-11M, then Colorado can stay competative. It`s not like Nathan would have to shop at Walmarts, if he got 80M instead of 100M...

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
He'll have a year of the title before Dubas crowns Matthews with 14+

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
This is from dater. Before this becomes a season long thing and I pull my hair out from the lightning superfan friend I have who has been saying nonstop how f***ed the avalanche are and will never win again, are there any other resources pointing to Mack wanting a contract above 10+? He’s said in the past pretty clearly he wants a discount. Him and his idolization of Crosby I don’t expect him to actually follow through on these claims.
My dude if Mac was happy to sign below 10mil a year the deal would already be done guaranteed. You don't even need a source to understand the basic math there. No idea what he signs for but it isn't going to be below 10

Reactions: Homesick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad