Exit interviews

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Enough with the 1-3-1. It’s an excuse, just like injuries were the excuse for the DT era’s failures. When you lose, there is always some extenuating circumstances.

If the Kings played all out offense they wouldn’t score more goals or win more. They’d just lose worse.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
The spin from Pravda is already shaping up into elite form. Supposedly, Blake explained to his bosses that this year was a one time hit where they were going to spend money to take a multi year step forward, but go cheap at goalie totally on purpose.

So, now we’re going to get the long term goalie and next season is when we’re really going to make some noise.

The BS is truly unbelievable. We fans are getting screwed because these two leaches would rather look like bigger and bigger fools than have to spend all day with their wives. Because god knows they have zero chance of ever getting another job in town.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
The spin from Pravda is already shaping up into elite form. Supposedly, Blake explained to his bosses that this year was a one time hit where they were going to spend money to take a multi year step forward, but go cheap at goalie totally on purpose.

So, now we’re going to get the long term goalie and next season is when we’re really going to make some noise.

The BS is truly unbelievable. We fans are getting screwed because these two leaches would rather look like bigger and bigger fools than have to spend all day with their wives. Because god knows they have zero chance of ever getting another job in town.
surely beckerman hears this and goes "yeah no" right?

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

It will be tragic if they think Ullmark, with a career playoff record of 3-6 .890 sv% and 3.49 gaa, is the long term answer.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
If Blake survives, then that means we could’ve been an easy 1st round warmup for a comparatively likeable Stars team instead of giving the damn Oilers a layup and possibly the rest they need to make the Finals. The whole point of preferring Edmonton to Dallas is that surely losing 3 in a row to the same team, the team that you built this year to specifically beat, would guarantee firings and a front office overhaul.

What an absolute waste. Kurashev and Arvidsson will haunt our dreams for years if the Oilers wind up hoisting the Cup.

Reactions: yankeeking

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
What an absolute waste. Kurashev and Arvidsson will haunt our dreams for years if the Oilers wind up hoisting the Cup.
That was the only game I went to all year and I was (maybe) the only Kings fan in my area to not get up and cheer when Arvidsson got the tying goal. I'm sure there were others scattered around the arena, though.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
It will be tragic if they think Ullmark, with a career playoff record of 3-6 .890 sv% and 3.49 gaa, is the long term answer.
Honestly, I’d rather they play Portillo, Rittich and Copley next year than blow more capital on the trade market for goalies. All things considered, they were right to go cheap in net given they were fated to get bent over by the oilers.

Next season, the fate is likely the same. They make the playoffs but are the clear underdog in round one.

Take that money and upgrade on Arvidsson and Roy. Get some size up front at top six RW. And get some puck mover at LD.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Honestly, I’d rather they play Portillo, Rittich and Copley next year than blow more capital on the trade market for goalies. All things considered, they were right to go cheap in net given they were fated to get bent over by the oilers.

Next season, the fate is likely the same. They make the playoffs but are the clear underdog in round one.

Take that money and upgrade on Arvidsson and Roy. Get some size up front at top six RW. And get some puck mover at LD.
I agree with the goalie situation. I say fill the holes with kids and let chips fall as they will.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I thought the Kings don't play a 1-3-1 system that much? Maybe Kempe and Fiala should pay more attention to the Kings. Or learn hockey.

1714765884185.png

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think someone said the staff is supposed to meet with the media next week, but I don't know why they're doing players and staff in different weeks though. Doesn't make any sense
Hopefully it’s because it’ll be to introduce new staff.

Pretty awesome that the organization and it's employees can hide from accountability AND mouth off to fans AND can hide from media availability anyway.

AEG, what the f***.

Failing GM can't even face softball questions from his hand picked media harem. Well done.

Guess it's time to become an SLC fan, vote with my wallet. I can handle dark years if there's a purpose. I can't handle smug bullshit watching this shitshow get run into the ground with zero accountability while they outright insult fans. They won't get another cent from me.
It may be that he’s negotiating his exit terms… in that case it would makes sense.

Yes, I’m kidding myself being overly optimistic as usual… but I can hope, can’t I?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Enough with the 1-3-1. It’s an excuse, just like injuries were the excuse for the DT era’s failures. When you lose, there is always some extenuating circumstances.

If the Kings played all out offense they wouldn’t score more goals or win more. They’d just lose worse.
I agree, sure it brings challenges and it might be an issue (although the inconsistency in execution was a bigger problem) but it wasn’t the problem.

1. Slow starts
2. Poor special teams
3. Goaltending
4. PLD
5. Not enough grit
6. Not enough consistency from ‘top’ players.

Just off the top of my head as bigger issues than the system, not in any order. If at least 4 of points 1-6 are right we’d impose whatever system we use more consistently and it’s not an issue with regards our record. It’d then be a discussion about entertainment value. It’s a red herring distraction of a discussion.

Reactions: Fripp

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Danault is a warrior, love hearing his resolve, though I hope the Kings move him as he'd be worth a nice return, is on a nice contract, and they are nowhere close to competing right now. Having him in the middle 6 just takes a spot that could go to Turcotte, Thomas, etc...

I would, of course, get rid of PLD in any way possible unless they are going for the Oiler 1st overall rebuild strat and are intentionally tanking for like a decade :P I would consider moving Fiala, Moore, and Danault while they are at max value. I would hesitate, as it would be quite painful, but you probably have to test the market on Kempe too for max value as he is literally in his prime right now just a year behind Fiala. I would also test the market for Gavrikov - fabulous teammate and decent defender, but he lost some luster after the injury this year, is going to be expensive to keep at an inflated price, and it is time to play all of our young defensemen.

We are pretty much at the worst cast scenario for the team. They burned through their picks and prospects, those that remain are stunted or struggling with the current roster and system. We have a couple of legends who are still good that want to stay, win, and retire with the team, but there is just no visible path forward to get there before they retire. I say Kopitar is close enough, but I would consider moving Doughty even though I am sure he is adamant that he wants to stay - but his answer that he just absolutely doesn't want to go down the road for even a retool let alone a rebuild means he is going to be cheerleading on pushing this group forward for as long as he can and that is just going to spin wheels, waste assets, and get nowhere... We all want to see Kopitar and Doughty retire as Kings, but if AEG bends and agrees to them to continue to push until they drop dead that isn't going to sit well with anyone in the fanbase unless they just don't care. They have to be on board for a retool/rebuild to stay. They earned loyalty more than any other players in Kings history, but it is what brought down the Lombardi era...

This is so dangerous right now... I am not panicking until we know more, I don't think that Blake not being fired on the first day is indicative that he is staying, I am still expecting him to be fired and I am hoping him not being available for the media is indicative of that. If he were told that he was supported and would be back next year then I see him going out there and taking his punches and shaking it off. But if this organization on any level thinks that the ship can be corrected as-is with only a few tweaks of a trade and acquiring a goaltender or so then we are in very serious trouble. We are going to end up in no man's land of either barely not making the playoffs or just getting ousted in many more first rounds by virtually anyone else, not just the Oilers.

The team is rudderless and literally no one knows what to do now, but if they had the cajones, got a smart GM, and were willing to trade a lot of these guys at their max value right now. With even a passing development program and some roster space, they could develop the team they should have had if they had waited instead of thinking Fiala and PLD were the saviors of the postseason.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Why hasn't Hiller been let go yet? They can't be considering him going forward at least.
Check tny's post above. Staff media availability is next week.

Someone (I forget who, sorry) pointed out that the NHL doesn't like staffing announcements interfering with the playoffs. Second round probably starts Tuesday next week, so Monday we probably see who gets the guillotine.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Why hasn't Hiller been let go yet? They can't be considering him going forward at least.

I wonder what his contract looks like. I don't know if assistant staff were all boosted when TMac got his extension. Could be as simple as just letting his deal run out this summer and deciding not to re-sign.

Danault, Smolinski, Conroy, Demitra (rip), Stumpel, etc. Who cares. All the same picture.

Now. Here sounds like a man with a plan.

Byfield and Clarke are very easy players to build around. The path should be pretty straightforward if we acquire some picks, get rid of the roadblocks and pylons ahead of the kids, and start actually developing players.

Jun 30, 2006
Pretty awesome that the organization and it's employees can hide from accountability AND mouth off to fans AND can hide from media availability anyway.

AEG, what the f***.

Failing GM can't even face softball questions from his hand picked media harem. Well done.

Guess it's time to become an SLC fan, vote with my wallet. I can handle dark years if there's a purpose. I can't handle smug bullshit watching this shitshow get run into the ground with zero accountability while they outright insult fans. They won't get another cent from me.
See you at the Utah board. This Kings brass can get face****ed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad