Rumor: Dater: MacKinnon Seeking to Be the NHL's Highest Paid Player

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
He will get paid, either by the Avs or another team but he is getting his money one way or another.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
It´s not about what you can afford - it sets a bar. "If blabla player gets 13M, I should get this". Lehkonen and Nischuskin were 1-1,5M too high. Now if MacKinnon gets 13-13,5M, what might Toews, Byram and newhook want? However, if MacKinnon would settle for 10,5-11M, then Colorado can stay competative. It`s not like Nathan would have to shop at Walmarts, if he got 80M instead of 100M...
I really understand your point
Byram all depend on his season it will be 1.5 - 6 M
If he's injured or not and the way he play
Toews will hurt more between 7 to 9 M
FInish last year 10th in def pts and in top 5 plus and minus if he do that this year he will leave Colorado at the end of his contract

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well i do know how RFA and UFA works, i just have no ”sweet f***ing clue” how that is anyway relevant to Mackinnon being the best paid player in the league despite not being the best player on his own team, far less the league lol
To think of it another way, Makar's deal is his first deal out of ELC. So that 9 million should be compared to Mack's 6.3, not whatever Mack gets next. In 5 years Makar probably gets 16 million if the cap jumps a bunch

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
It´s not about what you can afford - it sets a bar. "If blabla player gets 13M, I should get this". Lehkonen and Nischuskin were 1-1,5M too high. Now if MacKinnon gets 13-13,5M, what might Toews, Byram and newhook want? However, if MacKinnon would settle for 10,5-11M, then Colorado can stay competative. It`s not like Nathan would have to shop at Walmarts, if he got 80M instead of 100M...
they'd want to maximize their payday and thank MacKinnon for sacrificing his money so they can have more of it.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
To think of it another way, Makar's deal is his first deal out of ELC. So that 9 million should be compared to Mack's 6.3, not whatever Mack gets next. In 5 years Makar probably gets 16 million if the cap jumps a bunch
So then you have 2 players making over a third of the team's cap when it's $90 million. The NHL is starting to look the the NBA. Maybe we need to shrink the roster size to about 16.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So then you have 2 players making over a third of the team's cap when it's $90 million. The NHL is starting to look the the NBA. Maybe we need to shrink the roster size to about 16.
Isn't this not different than other cap times? The AAV is not the important part. The cap percentage is. Crosby taking 8.7 on his 2nd contract was considered a bargain but it the equivalent to over 12 million today. Ovechkin's 9.5 is equivalent to 15.5 today

The stars should be paid more. Not only is their impact more but the team also makes most the money off them and uses their images in marketing more

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Wrong he was trending to be solid he had a couple down seasons before he finally broke out. This is just wrong
lol. he most definitely could have been gone from the Avalanche and be getting paid a lot more money by now. rookie season you could see he was top tier. i blame the slump on shitty coaching but yeah it was disappointing--however there is no chance he couldn't have just arbitrated his way to free agency and would be making a lot more right now somewhere else.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Seems ridiculous but if the cap really goes up 10m+ in '24 or '5 and on from there, it would look pretty fair, probably. Makar might be underpaid by 50% for the last four or five years of his deal, just like MacK has been.
This is how I feel too. It's a huge number but it's all relative to cap threshhold. Even at 14.5 I could see McDavid, Matthews maybe Drai going over the top when they reup ( rightly or wrongly).

Reactions: byrath

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I don't think the NHLPA would care. If anything, superstar salaries rising just squeezes the larger contingent of middle class NHL players in this flat cap environment.
Flat cap is coming to an end starting this season. It’s time to move past that and raise the bar.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Seems ridiculous but if the cap really goes up 10m+ in '24 or '5 and on from there, it would look pretty fair, probably. Makar might be underpaid by 50% for the last four or five years of his deal, just like MacK has been.
I heard John Shannon on Sekeres and Price from Vancouver in late July. Shannon said the salary cap could increase by as much as $10M in a couple of years. 24-25. A few days ago, Billy Daly said the cap is more likely to increase in two years instead of three years.

23-24 could be a very tight year for the Avs. They have space this season. It opens up for them in 24-25 with the cap increase.

The Avs won with MacKinnon at $6.3M. They have him at that number for another year. MacFarland and Sakic will try to win again this season before the cap crunch comes.

Reactions: byrath

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I heard John Shannon on Sekeres and Price from Vancouver in late July. Shannon said the salary cap could increase by as much as $10M in a couple of years. 24-25. A few days ago, Billy Daly said the cap is more likely to increase in two years instead of three years.

23-24 could be a very tight year for the Avs. They have space this season. It opens up for them in 24-25 with the cap increase.

The Avs won with MacKinnon at $6.3M. They have him at that number for another year. MacFarland and Sakic will try to win again this season before the cap crunch comes.

My guess is both sides agree to increase the cap by more than $1M next year so they don't shock the system. Might be looking at $85M for 23/24 and $90M for 24/25. Both sides agreeing not to shock the system is actually written in the MOU agreement. My hunch says the NHLPA outstanding balance is almost paid off after this season but not quite. But they agree to increase the cap over two seasons vs $1M and then $10M.

Prior to Covid, I believe the market was $5B and the cap was expected to be in the $84 - $88M range (depending on escrow). Last season was around $5.2B (last I herd) and Bettman said it was conservative numbers. $4.8B was the point where the cap grew by $1M (pre agreed arrangement). They are at min $400M ahead of schedule and even last season was derailed with Covid to some degree.

Now... What does MacKinnon ask for? He was on record at saying he will take a discount so I'm going to guess a bit less than others... 8 years at $12M with 50% at min paid as signing bonus.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I've been told that it's just "business", when Huberdeau got traded the way he did. And he shouldn't put up any fuss about it. So then I guess that means when a player says they want to get paid, no one should have a problem with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad