Confirmed with Link: Darren Helm re-signed 5 years 3.85m/year

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
After the last 24 hours I'm not surprised by this. Rumours that the big FA names are going elsewhere due to bigger money/term on offer and in some cases to teams rather closer to winning.

The bizarre thing was that Stamkos's vast salary made him more plausible if he got to FA because less than half the league would be able to meet the demands. Salaries of 6-7m are much more manageable for more teams.

For me I think Helm has been underrated and I'm glad he's staying, but its either 2 years or $1m too much for me. Plenty of worse players earning more in the NHL, and plenty of worse deals will happen today, but its too much or too long. Personally, I want him as 3rd line PK guy..which means he will be overpaid for that role, despite being very good at it.

I think the destinations and contracts of other FAs will make this look less disappointing by Monday, and I don't doubt other teams offered him more, but he is worth less to us than Abby, and as such this contract is too high.

For this to not be a bad weekend, KH better have something else up his sleeve.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
After the last 24 hours I'm not surprised by this. Rumours that the big FA names are going elsewhere due to bigger money/term on offer and in some cases to teams rather closer to winning.

The bizarre thing was that Stamkos's vast salary made him more plausible if he got to FA because less than half the league would be able to meet the demands. Salaries of 6-7m are much more manageable for more teams.

For me I think Helm has been underrated and I'm glad he's staying, but its either 2 years or $1m too much for me. Plenty of worse players earning more in the NHL, and plenty of worse deals will happen today, but its too much or too long. Personally, I want him as 3rd line PK guy..which means he will be overpaid for that role, despite being very good at it.

I think the destinations and contracts of other FAs will make this look less disappointing by Monday, and I don't doubt other teams offered him more, but he is worth less to us than Abby, and as such this contract is too high.

For this to not be a bad weekend, KH better have something else up his sleeve.

Kyle Quincey will be the Wings next big FA acquisition.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Why are 4th line players getting long term contracts? Helm is the type of player that is available in FA every year. I wouldn't mind this as much (still wouldn't like it) if it was 2 years and be resigned to missing the playoffs a couple seasons, but 5? I just don't get the point.

Exactly. These guys should be swapped out every 2 to 3 years simply because the type of game they play is hard on their bodies. It's a crap-shoot as to who will last, so don't tie yourself to one, play the field. The Fiddlers, Moens, Martins and such are available every year.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
I like Helm. Glad he's staying, but he's paid too much now. What difference does he make in a team without a core anyway.

Gilhuleh

Sep 24, 2011
Ontario,Canada
He finally makes a decision in letting Richards and Quincey walk then he does this. C'mon Kenny. Bring back Hudler and Quincey while you're at it. :shakehead

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Also, the draft trade looks pretty much pointless now with Stamkos staying in Tampa Bay and signing Helm to 3.85 for 5 years. Probably should've got Chychrun.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Welcome back Darren!!

Always been one of my favorite Wings. I'm fine with the price.
Maybe a year too long. would have been more comfortable with 4 years.

CMUBrent

Jan 23, 2007
Good ol' Complacent Kenny, never fails to screw up royally. Goes through the motions in free agency and trades, then overvalues his own mediocre talent. :shakehead

Kyle Quincey is up next. I'm thinking 5 years, $5 million per. :laugh:

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Pathetic. We have better in the minors. Why give stone hands but hecan skate fast helm that much.

Mjollner

Jan 28, 2009
Well I'm done. I've been a Wings fan since I was 6, but I can't take it anymore. It's like having a girlfriend with a drug addiction. Sure I still love them, but I can't just sit here and watch them destroy themselves anymore. It's too painful.

Miller was bad enough, but 4 mil for (what should be) a 4th line center? His point totals would be mediocre for a defenseman, much less a center.

What's kenny gonna do next? Bring Doug Brown out of retirement and sign him to 6 million a year, because you know what he's a real nice guy, sure he sucks at playing hockey, but you know what who cares.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Terrible contract, too long and too expensive. I understand Abdelkader's deal, but i dont understand this. Helm can be replaced easily, by a younger and cheaper player.

I'm guessing it's probably some panic from Holland.

The Wings have a massive hole at center with Datsyuk's departure. This gives Kenny "options" in case he strikes out on the free agent market.

A big part of why Ericsson's contract is so bad is because at the time half the blueline needed to be re-signed.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
let's not get on helm's back for this, this is all on kenny. helm is a good player and if it is true that he has taken a discounted deal then he is showing loyalty to the wings. i'm glad that he's back, but for that price and that term....erm....

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What the hell has Helm done to command this term and money?

At least Abdelkader had the "score 20 goals" angle. Ugh. These loyalty contracts are so brutal. I can't imagine another team in the league giving them out, let alone to multiple players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad