Confirmed with Link: Darren Helm re-signed 5 years 3.85m/year

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
But almost 100% of the time it doesn't. You want to give your team the best chance to win, not bank on something maybe happening despite the fact your roster is not capable of said thing happening.

Hell, the LA Kings of 2012 didn't just do nothing over the season and say "anything can happen." They made significant changes to get in and contend.

Exactly.

People always use the Kings as an example but they were picked to make the conference finals and possibly win their division by most analysts but underachieved during the regular season. They fired their coach mid-season and made a huge trade for Jeff Carter at the trade deadline. Plus in the prior off-season they made a big trade bringing in Mike Richards (He fell apart later but was a big part of their Cup run).

Kings are a terrible example for people to use where "anything can happen" because their GM made a lot of bold moves heading into their Cup win.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Yep, Groundhog Day. Later today we'll hear our big UFA defense addition is Kyle ****ing Quincey, @ 5/25. I don't blame Pav for bailing now. Z won't be far behind.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
You can't expect to build a team that can compete for a cup with 10% of the cap tied to two ageing/declining <40 points role players for the next 5 years.

This isn't gonna work.

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007
yeah uh, we like our team. We kicked at some tires but in the end, we felt that signing our FA's was like adding to our team.

**** :cry:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Luke Glendening will get also 3.5M from UFA market next summer. He is just like Marcus Kruger who got same.

Book it.

These prices are just.... stupid. You want a player, you pay a market price.

UFAs = overpaid
RFAs = underpaid

I wonder how long these are any kind of surprise for anyone?

Best contracts are a mix of RFA and UFA years, because the caphits in under/overpayment will balance themselves.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I've always liked Helm, the speed and energy he brings are an asset and beneficial to the team. Unfortunetely we are paying a 3rd/4th line energy guy like a scorer for some reason.

Holland will say blah blah blah "we think Helmer can take strides and make a better impact offensively as his role increases." Darren Helm will never be a scorer in this league, you can't just suddenly get better hands and better finishing abilities.

Oh well, we all knew this was going to happen, just a million bucks too much.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I now picture Holland as one of those cartoon hostage negotiators who not only give the hostage takers anything they want, gives them more than they could ever ask for.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Why are 4th line players getting long term contracts? Helm is the type of player that is available in FA every year. I wouldn't mind this as much (still wouldn't like it) if it was 2 years and be resigned to missing the playoffs a couple seasons, but 5? I just don't get the point.

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
What is it going to take for the people who don't want Holland replaced as General Manager to get on board? What more does he possibly have to do?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What is it going to take for the people who don't want Holland replaced as General Manager to get on board? What more does he possibly have to do?

Great question.

Outside of drafting Larkin, his decisions the last 5 years have been just putrid.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
"We Like our team." "Kids aren't the answer." "This is a men's league." Rinse. Wash. Repeat.
Next years team is set to include:

Larkin
Athanasiou
Mrazek
Marchenko
Sheahan
Tatar
Dekeyser
Nyquist

and Possibly:
Mantha
Jurco
Pulkinnen
Ouellet

The problem is clearly that we don't have enough kids. NEED MOAR KIDSSS!!!!!!!!

bgkennedy19

Jan 24, 2011
Like this, he will be fine heading into his 30's due to his ability to skate.....Abby's contract is the one that hurts. 3.85m is fine

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Helm should not sniff the Top 6. Ever. Not on a good-to-great team. Period.

As a Bottom 6 he was good. Was. He's older, injury prone and does not hit opposing players or get in on the forecheck as well as he did when he was younger. Plus, he's FIVE-FOOT-****ING-TEN and about 180LBS. Enough! Enough with our grinders being either midgets or soft or both. Ken "Big changes this summer" Holland is so full of ****, it's incredible. Five more years of this. **** me.

#fireholland

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Really what happen to the fact that he said that he was going to give the kids a chance, Could hardly prove it to me with this crazy signing.

And you believed him?

Ken Holland is a bad GM. Sooner people start realizing this, the sooner they will stop being surprised when he does these idiotic signings that have crippled the franchise for the next 15 years.

Joe Dumars 2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad