Confirmed with Link: Darren Helm re-signed 5 years 3.85m/year

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd buy this if Holland could prove one time he could trade a roster player. Just once.

I'd believe Holland could make a good trade for a defenseman if I had been in a coma since the Brad Stuart trade. Otherwise, snowball's chance in hell.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
No GM is loyal like Ken Holland. Two more country club contracts to over aged mediocre to above average vets.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Well I'm done. I've been a Wings fan since I was 6, but I can't take it anymore. It's like having a girlfriend with a drug addiction. Sure I still love them, but I can't just sit here and watch them destroy themselves anymore. It's too painful.

Miller was bad enough, but 4 mil for (what should be) a 4th line center? His point totals would be mediocre for a defenseman, much less a center.

What's kenny gonna do next? Bring Doug Brown out of retirement and sign him to 6 million a year, because you know what he's a real nice guy, sure he sucks at playing hockey, but you know what who cares.

You should be done, if that's how you feel about it. Take two gigantic steps back and realize it's a ****ing sport. Sure, the signings hurt, but it's not life or death.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If it was 3 mil it would be solid. Not surprised at the overreactions but 3-4 million isn't what it used to be. Fairly sure he would have gotten 4-4.5 from someone in FA.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Isn't there some smoke that Helm's fiancé grew up with the Holland family. This all sounds like Kenny caving and giving an extra $750k/year for his "home grown boy" aka the let's keep the family happy.

This is just stupid. Nielson and Ott both PK and take face-offs. AA is better and faster than Helm. This re-signing makes zero sense to me unless Sheahan is packaged up and Helm takes 3C. Besides that I still wanna puke.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If it was 3 mil it would be solid. Not surprised at the overreactions but 3-4 million isn't what it used to be. Fairly sure he would have gotten 4-4.5 from someone in FA.

There's 30 GMs out there. One of them went for a Subban for Weber deal. Another did Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson.

You will find teams that are willing to overpay or "lose" a trade. That doesn't mean you should compete to see if you can overpay more depth players.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Need a reason to not hate this deal? Look at Glendening and Miller's CF% the last 3 years with and without Helm. Helm may not be a quality top-6 guy, but he can still elevate a bottom-6 line from putrid to respectable. Is that worth 5 x $3.85M? Doubtful, but at least its something positive.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Need a reason to not hate this deal? Look at Glendening and Miller's CF% the last 3 years with and without Helm. Helm may not be a quality top-6 guy, but he can still elevate a bottom-6 line from putrid to respectable. Is that worth 5 x $3.85M? Doubtful, but at least its something positive.

It's too bad he'll be playing in the top 6 again like he did last year then.

And if he actually does play in the bottom 6, he's way overpaid for that role.

It's a lose/lose situation.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013

Oh, I completely agree. I just think it's worth noting that Helm is still a pretty effective player, albeit an overpaid one.

I always assumed that Miller has simply been declining that past 4 years due to age, but looking at it closer it's pretty stark how well the decline in his point totals and possession numbers match up perfectly to when he lost Helm as a regular linemate.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006

I have no idea how Helm will even sniff a top 6 role.

Zetterberg, Larkin, Tatar, Nyquist, Nielsen, Vanek, Abdelkader. He's got to play over 2 of those guys. No way.

Appropos of nothing, I saw some people talking about how the Boedker deal made the Helm deal look bad. When I saw he was a -28 in 60-some games for Arizona this year (worst on the team by -7), and he scored 14 ES goals... I think I shelved that consideration. That guy is getting scored on like a 2 foot wide putt putt hole.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Zetterberg, Larkin, Tatar, Nyquist, Nielsen, Vanek, Abdelkader. He's got to play over 2 of those guys. No way.

Appropos of nothing, I saw some people talking about how the Boedker deal made the Helm deal look bad. When I saw he was a -28 in 60-some games for Arizona this year (worst on the team by -7), and he scored 14 ES goals... I think I shelved that consideration. That guy is getting scored on like a 2 foot wide putt putt hole.

And then when you realize Boedeker is 26 and has had two 50+ point seasons, and probably would have come close to another during the lockout shortened season, you go back to realizing how awful Helm's deal is.

Sharks are paying for Boedeker's peak years. Wings are paying for Helm's declining years.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

He played over both Tatar and Nyqvist in the top 6 for most of last season. No reason it can't happen again.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Longest Friday of work ever... Not what I was hoping to come home to at all. Have known about it for hours, but cannot express enough how disappointed I am with this particular signing. Honestly lower than I thought he would sign for if he came back, but this is still brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->