Confirmed with Link: Darren Helm re-signed 5 years 3.85m/year

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What the hell has Helm done to command this term and money?

At least Abdelkader had the "score 20 goals" angle. Ugh. These loyalty contracts are so brutal. I can't imagine another team in the league giving them out, let alone to multiple players.

Now with Nielsen signed Helm is even less valuable to the Wings.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Seriously though, where does Helm even play on this roster? 3rd line wing? For 5 years?

It doesn't help I think Abby is actually a 3rd line wing getting top minutes too.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looking at what other guys are getting in free agency, this contract is bad on a level that I am having a hard time comprehending.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I can't get over how ****ing stupid this move was. I can live with Nielsen, this though, just has me so salty. I've been too upset to talk at work.

Still waiting for the defined role. If AA see ~10 mins a game I'm going to murder someone

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Seriously though, where does Helm even play on this roster? 3rd line wing? For 5 years?

It doesn't help I think Abby is actually a 3rd line wing getting to minutes too.

He's gotta be 3c at that price, doesn't he? How the hell else do they rationalize it unless, god forbid, a top 6 wing role..

Gilhuleh

Sep 24, 2011
Ontario,Canada

It's not even like we can justify him being a 3C at this point like he used to be. Playing on the third line taking time away from our younger players. Gotta love it.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
this is brutal. and I actually like Helm as a player. I just HATE this contract and how it means they are going to use him.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
This right here is why I hated the Datsyuk cap dump. Gave Holland the chance to be his usual, garbage man self.

How much of his moves are on the Ilitches, who knows. All I know is I'm really bummed out about next season.

The player that was the reason I became a Wings fan is gone, the captain is a broken shell of his former self, no top pairing D-man, overpaid vets on too lengthy contracts and too big roles, no room for our exciting forward prospects, not a single legit D prospect outside of Saarijärvi...

Well, maybe Larkin, Mrazek and AA (if he gets to play) bring some entertainment value at the least.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
This deal only makes sense (and then the term is still too long) if we are dealing Sheahan. Helm is one of the better 3rd line centers in the league, he is not a good winger. I have to believe that the Wings plan to deal Sheahan & one of Tats/Nyquist based on the signings.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This deal only makes sense (and then the term is still too long) if we are dealing Sheahan. Helm is one of the better 3rd line centers in the league, he is not a good winger. I have to believe that the Wings plan to deal Sheahan & one of Tats/Nyquist based on the signings.

I'd buy this if Holland could prove one time he could trade a roster player. Just once.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Same feeling.

We are now hoarding fowards to trade for one defenceman.

Many teams have a lot of free forward spots for expansion drafts, but have "too many" defencemen.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'd buy this if Holland could prove one time he could trade a roster player. Just once.

Yea, that theory is well and good, but it doesn't seem possible knowing the history.

Maybe these signings are indicitive that he's gonna trade AA and Mantha :help:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
hahahahahaha just seeing this, hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha cry.......

The red wings were such an awesome team for an amzing stretch its time to start lamenting that. Looking forward to lottery picks. Too bad Helm will still be on the team when the new talent peaks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad