Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Larsson's offense was sucked out of him by NJ system.

"Hedman was allowed to do more with his home team in Sweden, so they let him be more active with the puck and try different things," the scout said. "I think Adam Larsson plays a safer game. I certainly think he has the same potential as Hedman. He's every bit as good with the puck and he might be a touch tougher. Hedman is a little bigger, but they're both unbelievably good skaters. I think I would take Larsson over Hedman if I could, based on what I've seen the last three years."
Scouts say Larsson is ahead of Hedman

Wonder if that's the same scout that recommended trading two picks for Reinhart??

Larsson's game and development reminds me of Smid in a way. Both drafted as potential top Dmen with good offensive skills. Both developed into exclusively stay at home Dmen with a physical edge. Difference being of course that Larsson is a legit #2 where as Smid was at best a #4.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
IMO Nurse has been better defensively than Larsson has this season (not really saying much though). He's done very well with tough minutes.

I would agree. I have always been a huge Nurse supporter, but he has even surpassed my expectations this year.

To be fair to Larsson he was injured and probably wouldn't have been playing if he wasn't tough as nails and the team wasn't losing so much.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I highly doubt the Devil's sucked Larssons puck skills out of him. Players don't just forget how to make a breakout pass.
NJ sucked the offensive zone game out of Larsson. He has 18 pts in 60games as a rookie and then bounced between AHL and NHL for few yrs until he was successfully molded into a pure shutdown Dman.

space321

May 11, 2011
I'm not seeing how Larsson is a "successful shutdown Dman" or a "legit #2". He averages 20 minutes/gm, that's like second pairing numbers. At this point he isn't better than what Smid was doing lol.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I would agree. I have always been a huge Nurse supporter, but he has even surpassed my expectations this year.

To be fair to Larsson he was injured and probably wouldn't have been playing if he wasn't tough as nails and the team wasn't losing so much.
I wasn't that impressed with Larsson last year either. Injuries or no injuries I take Nurse over him any day.

Its nice to see Nurse finally break out. I was ready to write him off if he had another average year.
NJ sucked the offensive zone game out of Larsson. He has 18 pts in 60games as a rookie and then bounced between AHL and NHL for few yrs until he was successfully molded into a pure shutdown Dman.
18 points isn't that impressive.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I wasn't that impressed with Larsson last year either. Injuries or no injuries I take Nurse over him any day.

Its nice to see Nurse finally break out. I was ready to write him off if he had another average year.

18 points isn't that impressive.

If you didn't think Larsson was a very solid shutdown Dman last year then it's no surprise that you don't have very good judgement of defensemen and we're one of the ones ready to write Nurse off.

Reactions: ujju2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm not seeing how Larsson is a "successful shutdown Dman" or a "legit #2". He averages 20 minutes/gm, that's like second pairing numbers. At this point he isn't better than what Smid was doing lol.

Saying Larsson was no better last year than Smid was doing might be one of the dumbest things I have read on HFOil. I get it if you're still mad about Hall being dealt or felt we should have got a Suter/Subban level player in return for Hall. But to say Larsson = Smid...holy f***. I get that being a downer and negative about things is really hip around here right now, but seriously...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

That was honestly my fear with Nurse here. That he wouldn't ever be given a chance on the PP. would get tons of PK time a defensive zone starts...wait a minute, that's exactly what Todd is doing with him. Biggest reason why Nurse is able to overcome the lack of offensive opportunity is his skating. He can flat out fly with the puck and no one wants to step in front of that train when he's coming up the ice.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That injury last year might be a blessing in disguise. Pre injury Nurse was playing pretty amazing. Then after the lengthy injury he came back and looked off. Had he not gotten injured and had 2 great years, his price tag would be pretty damn high. Now with only 1.5 good seasons spread over 2 years, hopefully we can get him long term at 4.5 or something similar to Klefbom and Larsson. Personally I wouldnt feel comfortable going over 5 mil, and I love Nurse

Reactions: nabob

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
That injury last year might be a blessing in disguise. Pre injury Nurse was playing pretty amazing. Then after the lengthy injury he came back and looked off. Had he not gotten injured and had 2 great years, his price tag would be pretty damn high. Now with only 1.5 good seasons spread over 2 years, hopefully we can get him long term at 4.5 or something similar to Klefbom and Larsson. Personally I wouldnt feel comfortable going over 5 mil, and I love Nurse

That would be great! Having said that who would you sign thats available with those attributes for less than 5 mil?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
That was honestly my fear with Nurse here. That he wouldn't ever be given a chance on the PP. would get tons of PK time a defensive zone starts...wait a minute, that's exactly what Todd is doing with him. Biggest reason why Nurse is able to overcome the lack of offensive opportunity is his skating. He can flat out fly with the puck and no one wants to step in front of that train when he's coming up the ice.
Todd never sent Nurse down last year when he was making mistakes and working out his kinks. Larsson had to look over his shoulders and didnt have the freedom to make mistakes.
Puljujarvi getting sent down to minors at the start of next year after making a few mistakes in pre season would be comparable to the treatment Larsson got in NJ until he modified his game.
Larsson HAD the shot and passing ability to be QBing a successful PP. not anymore.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Nurse will flirt with the 40point mark if he continues his scoring pace. If he gets PP time and improves he may get close to 50pts this season. We might be looking at 7Mx7yr situation then and not 5M per.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd sign him to 4.5 x 7 or 8. He's on pace for 32 points which is the exact amount Klefbom was on when he got extended the following season.

I think we're just gonna have to accept a thin winger group for a while, Leon may have to be a RW for a year or two. Cap will be tight but the summer after next they should prioritize dumping one of Russell or Sekera.

Keep him off the PP Todd. You can try that next year if you want.

I think maybe ...

Vanek McDavid Draisaitl
Lucic RNH Puljujarvi
Caggiula Strome Yamamoto
blank Khaira Kassian

Same D

Same Goalies

Next year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nurse will flirt with the 40point mark if he continues his scoring pace. If he gets PP time and improves he may get close to 50pts this season. We might be looking at 7Mx7yr situation then and not 5M per.

I dont see much in Nurses offensive game that would make me think he could hit 40. On the rush he has one move where he drives wide and throws it backhand on net. In the offensive zone a lot of his goals dont scream "this is going to happen again and again" seems more like a luxury. Hes not great at finding the soft spots in the offensive zone and his slap shot is good but not great. For comparison, even though Klefbom is having a quiet year offensively, hes shown the ability to find the soft spots in the offensive zone and sneak into them to be open for a big point shot.

Could see Nurse as a 5 goal- 25/30 assist D though

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I dont see much in Nurses offensive game that would make me think he could hit 40. On the rush he has one move where he drives wide and throws it backhand on net. In the offensive zone a lot of his goals dont scream "this is going to happen again and again" seems more like a luxury. Hes not great at finding the soft spots in the offensive zone and his slap shot is good but not great. For comparison, even though Klefbom is having a quiet year offensively, hes shown the ability to find the soft spots in the offensive zone and sneak into them to be open for a big point shot.

He has 6 goals and 18pts already in 46GP without PP time. He is starting to get comfortable with his slapshot.
I dont think 22pts in remaining games is that far fetched considering he only had 3 pts in first 15GP,

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I mean, he's already exceeded and/or will come close to matching those totals exclusively at even strength, so your upper limit of his potential offensively doesn't make any sense.

As for his awareness in the offensive zone, I've already noticed that he will peel off or take it behind the net instead of backhanding it on net if his teammates aren't driving the crease whereas in the past, he wouldn't do that. And those soft spots you mentioned, as his confidence increases, he's finding those more often as well. There's no doubt that both his wrister and his slap shot have room for improvement but the most important thing is that they are improving. And he can actually hit the net with them which is something that you can't really say for any other defenseman on this roster at the moment.

I really don't understand the insistence on trying to convince yourself that Nurse's goals are of the fluky variety, but perhaps that's just me. If anything, he should have 4 or 5 more considering he's hit a handful of posts/been robbed already halfway through this season.

With consistent PP time, I see him more as a reliable 10 goal, 30 assist guy in the future who could have the potential to have a couple career years flirting with a 15 goal, 35 assist stat line.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Nurse is tied for 12th in even strength points by defensemen this year. Only 4 points out of 2nd in the entire league. 3 behind Karlsson, 2 points behind Doughty, 1 behind Hedman. More than players like Burns, Subban, Parayko, Barrie, Sprugeon, Sergachev, Keith. Werenski, and Yandle. He's also now tied for 3rd is even strength goals by defensemen after his little outburst this past weekend.

He is known as a defensive defenseman but we are seeing his offensive game really blossoming this year. He's making plays and hanging onto the puck more this year, whereas last year he would just skate the puck behind the goal line before losing it for the most part. I think Adam Oates deserves some credit for his progression this year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I mean, he's already exceeded and/or will come close to matching those totals exclusively at even strength, so your upper limit of his potential offensively doesn't make any sense.

I still think it's too much credit for a good, but short, hot streak.

13 points in his first 42 games this season.

5 points in his last 4 games.

We know he won't keep up his pace from the last 4 games. How much does he regress?

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I still think it's too much credit for a good, but short, hot streak.

13 points in his first 42 games this season.

5 points in his last 4 games.

We know he won't keep up his pace from the last 4 games. How much does he regress?

No doubt. I'm under no illusion that his pace the last 4 games will become the norm but I do think that considering his start to the season (3 points in 15 games, as it was pointed out) and the confidence he's showing in finding open ice, unleashing his shot on a more regular basis and looking more dynamic than ever when joining the rush is evidence of a player who it's starting to really click for offensively at this level.

In the past he's been more hesitant to trust those aspects of his game and certainly wasn't anywhere as dangerous as he's looked for the majority of this season. A range anywhere from 30-40 points exclusively as ES this season for Nurse wouldn't surprise me either way, at the end of the day.

I do think, going forward, if he gets some actual PP time where he can actually tinker with what works and what doesn't in exclusively offense oriented situations, that will do nothing but benefit his maturation in this regard. The names he's with when it comes to ES points that @Jet Walters listed is pretty damn impressive.

I only wish that this stupid coach of ours would link the Nurse pairing with McDavid's line at the hip... it's no surprise that McDavid's metrics trend upwards when they see the ice together. Apparently only Todd doesn't see the benefit of the difficulties it poses to other teams if you have your best puckmoving D playing with a Generational superstar who thrives when he's able to be hit in stride with time and space.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

Actually Nurse has show a propensity to find the quite spots, much better than Klefbom and it's his skating ability that affords him some of those opportunities. Nurse has on numerous occasion snuck behind the d and either redirected or got a quality shot on net that either hits post or goes through the goalie and out the other side just missing the net. I would argue his goals "scream" this is going to happen again and again, he literarily just did that against Arizona lol, as for the ceiling you project, he's already surpassing that in terms of goals. Nurse was on pace for 10 goals before injury last year and he's already surpassing that this year, all this with no PP time.
I know Klef is your guy, and he's a fantastic player but there's isn't a dman in the Oilers organization that is close to Nurse's ceiling in any facet of the game.
Larsson was and is utilized as a shut down D not offence. Not easily compared
He got PP opportunity as soon as he entered the league, they clearly saw what we see now and that is a solid shutdown D that doesn't posses the prerequisite skills on the offensive side of the game.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Todd never sent Nurse down last year when he was making mistakes and working out his kinks. Larsson had to look over his shoulders and didnt have the freedom to make mistakes.
Puljujarvi getting sent down to minors at the start of next year after making a few mistakes in pre season would be comparable to the treatment Larsson got in NJ until he modified his game.
Larsson HAD the shot and passing ability to be QBing a successful PP. not anymore.

Nurse was on par with Klefbom and Larsson until he got hurt. He was by far our best transition Dman and was also very solid on the PK. There was no reason to even think about sending him down. I get what you're saying with Larsson though. He really had all creativity and freedom to play a more offensive game zapped by coaching. I think Nuge also had that a lot here in the last few years. You can tell he has more freedom to attack the net and play for offense this year. Todd even made a point of making it public that the leash would be loosened for Nuge this year.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think MacT was honestly a great first round drafter, although it fell apart in later rounds. Drai an Nurse were great picks, and now we're getting rewarded for it (in their play, not the standings).

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
That would be great! Having said that who would you sign thats available with those attributes for less than 5 mil?

Who would we sign to replace him if he wants over 5 mil/season? If we dont sign him and he leaves then what?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Nurse is tied for 12th in even strength points by defensemen this year. Only 4 points out of 2nd in the entire league. 3 behind Karlsson, 2 points behind Doughty, 1 behind Hedman. More than players like Burns, Subban, Parayko, Barrie, Sprugeon, Sergachev, Keith. Werenski, and Yandle. He's also now tied for 3rd is even strength goals by defensemen after his little outburst this past weekend.

He is known as a defensive defenseman but we are seeing his offensive game really blossoming this year. He's making plays and hanging onto the puck more this year, whereas last year he would just skate the puck behind the goal line before losing it for the most part. I think Adam Oates deserves some credit for his progression this year.

Nurse worked with Oates? I totally missed that. Did any other players? I didn't like Oates as a head coach but his skills training really seems phenomenal.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I think MacT was honestly a great first round drafter, although it fell apart in later rounds. Drai an Nurse were great picks, and now we're getting rewarded for it (in their play, not the standings).

Thank freaking goodness we didn't grab Bennett and Risto. Could you imagine? Good moves, Mac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad