Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like how Nurse is playing. I dislike Chia as the GM to sign his next contract.

What would you be willing to pay him? Unless we bridge him, we're likely looking at $4 million +.

Does he sign the equivalent contract that Klefbom got? Does he ask for $5 million AAV X 8 years? Could we lock him up for $4.5 million AAV for 8 years? He is showing a lot of improvement and work ethic has never been an issue with Darnell.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What would you be willing to pay him? Unless we bridge him, we're likely looking at $4 million +.

Does he sign the equivalent contract that Klefbom got? Does he ask for $5 million AAV X 8 years? Could we lock him up for $4.5 million AAV for 8 years? He is showing a lot of improvement and work ethic has never been an issue with Darnell.

Nurse should have the easiest contract ever to negotiate. 8 years at 4.167. Same as Klefbom and Larsson. He doesn’t have much negotiating power to ask for more.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

I don't think he should be paid more than $4.5 million per. But with the Draisaitl contract that would be a tough ask on a long term deal.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Nurse should have the easiest contract ever to negotiate. 8 years at 4.167. Same as Klefbom and Larsson. He doesn’t have much negotiating power to ask for more.

I think he's got quite a bit more negotiating power than that.

Those contracts were signed a couple years ago by defensemen that Nurse has been significantly better than.

With the cap going up as much as it is(and another rumored expansion looming that will cause it to rise again), I can almost guarantee you it will be far higher than 4.167M.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I'd be down with that but he may come back and say that he outplayed both this year and the cap is going up.

I don't think he should be paid more than $4.5 million per. But with the Draisaitl contract that would be a tough ask on a long term deal.

It'll be interesting, I'd prefer that it is no more than $5 million AAV. We'll need to move out one of or both of Sekera and Russell at some point.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Those contracts were signed a couple years ago by defensemen that Nurse has been significantly better than.

With the cap going up as much as it is(and another rumored expansion looming that will cause it to rise again), I can almost guarantee you it will be far higher than 4.167M.
All good points.

Defensively, he's better than Klefbom has ever been and offensively, with zero PP time, he's going to come close to equaling his best offensive season in all likelihood.

Unless they can get Nurse for 8 years at below 5.25 or so, it makes all the sense in the world to bridge him. It's a good problem to have, all things considered, even though the GM has bungled our cap situation.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wouldn't be surprised to see $6M or a bit more.

With the cap going up so much(and another spike likely coming in a few years), agents/teams will be basing longterm deals on what players will likely be making in 4ish years and not what players have been making over the last couple of seasons because the salary cap landscape will be so different.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Obviously would be ideal to sign him to that 4.1M deal, but I'm not sure if that's still possible. The market seems to have changed, especially with the McDavid and Draisaitl deals. But if he keeps this up I don't mind signing him 5M x 8 years. Hopefully it won't be more than that, but you don't know with Chia. And I bet Nurse's agent will use those deals against him and say that Nurse is worth way more than 4-5M in todays market with the season he's having.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised to see $6M or a bit more.

With the cap going up so much(and another spike likely coming in a few years), agents/teams will be basing longterm year deals on what players will likely be making in 4ish years and not what players have been making over the last couple of seasons because the salary cap landscape will be so different.
Yes, but the salary cap rise is not a given. I would compromise as though the cap was rising not as much as anticipated by the agents.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Unless they can get Nurse for 8 years at below 5.25 or so, it makes all the sense in the world to bridge him. It's a good problem to have, all things considered, even though the GM has bungled our cap situation.

They still need to move somebody out at those numbers. I would do it in a heartbeat if you move out Russell.

Three D with $4M ~ $4.5M cap hits AND two D with $5M ~ $5M cap hits is real tough with $21.5M tied up in Drai and McDavid.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If i'm GM I think I look at a bridge deal for two years at around $4M. that takes you to the next CBA and the end of both Sekera and Russell's NMCs. If Nurse is on track to be a bona fide #1 at that point and get paid like one, you have two vet options you can try and move out to make room.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think his best comparable is probably Slavin in carolina. He got 5.3M x 7 years. Anyone hoping for less than $4.5-5M long term is setting themselves up to be mad at the GM. Take into account Nurses draft position (it matters in 2nd contracts, even though it shouldn't), the cap going up and probable big contracts for Hanifin and a few others may take the number into a range that is too high on a long term deal. A bridge around 3.75-4M might be best. But then you end up paying him $6M in all likelihood in a few years.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014

Plus he can be offersheeted.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder how hard it would be to convince Sekera that he should move on at years end? Russell is from the area and clearly likes being in Alberta so he'd be a tougher sell in terms of asking him to waive. If we give Nurse anything over $5 million we'd need to move out either Nuge or salary on the blueline to get some help up front.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I wonder how hard it would be to convince Sekera that he should move on at years end? Russell is from the area and clearly likes being in Alberta so he'd be a tougher sell in terms of asking him to waive. If we give Nurse anything over $5 million we'd need to move out either Nuge or salary on the blueline to get some help up front.

It sure would suck to lose Nuge because we were stuck with a NMC to keep Russell on our bottom pairing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It sure would suck to lose Nuge because we were stuck with a NMC to keep Russell on our bottom pairing.

Agreed. I wonder if Chia surprises all of us and deals Draisaitl this offseason? By my eye he has not been worth his AAV this season.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

2 defensemen that Nurse has been better than for half a season. He was also drastically worse before this season. Are we really going from “let’s give him 2 per” to “let’s give him 6 per”. I don’t see his negotiating power jumping THAT much because of one season. 4.167 is a good number for both sides.

I'd be down with that but he may come back and say that he outplayed both this year and the cap is going up.

It'll be interesting, I'd prefer that it is no more than $5 million AAV. We'll need to move out one of or both of Sekera and Russell at some point.

If he didn’t outplay them so far (or if he doesn’t continue to), he’s looking at a LOT smaller number than them. His play this year has earned him the Klefa/Larsson deal. Not 50% more. Let’s not get crazy with the big contracts.

Russell’s contract is really basically 2 or 3 years, so I’m not too worried about him. He’ll be easy to move with the salary structure he has.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Considering Nurse is on pace for the low 30's this season, I don't see how he asks for 5+, however the mid to high 4 should be on the table if he willing to go long term.

I think you look at the Klefbom/Larsson for a bases, but if you can get that 8th year, I'd be willing to look at the high 4's.

Reactions: shoop

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Considering Nurse is on pace for the low 30's this season, I don't see how he asks for 5+, however the mid to high 4 should be on the table if he willing to go long term.

I think you look at the Klefbom/Larsson for a bases, but if you can get that 8th year, I'd be willing to look at the high 4's.
Low 30's without any powerplay time is impressive

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Agreed. I wonder if Chia surprises all of us and deals Draisaitl this offseason? By my eye he has not been worth his AAV this season.
Very possible. Nuge has been more worth his $6M than Drai has $8.5M that's for damn sure. If it means keeping Nurse I'm for it.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
I think the best 3 on 3 we could have, would be McDavid, Nurse and Jesse..
Three guys that can skate like the wind..
Two guys with wicked shots..
One guy who makes brilliant passes..

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
People comparing nurses next contract to klefboms and Lars sons are going to be sorely disappointed. You need to look at the inflation of contracts signed over the past two years. On the high end you have guys like parayko and ristolainen making 5.5m on long term deals. Middle end (and more comparable for nurse imo) you have slavin, severson and Orlov making 5-5.3m. Even on the Lower end you have contracts like zaitsev making 4.5m.

Factoring in another year of rising contracts and I could easily see nurse making 5.1-5.3 on a long term deal. Anything less would be a great savings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad