Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yet Drai is a vastly better player and he has already shown what he can do in the playoffs. If you wanna have success in the playoffs you need a guy like Drai.

Dont get me wrong I want Drai on the team going forward. His performance in the playoffs was bad ass the way he elevated his play. I also think that Nurse will be that same type of player.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
2 defensemen that Nurse has been better than for half a season. He was also drastically worse before this season. Are we really going from “let’s give him 2 per” to “let’s give him 6 per”. I don’t see his negotiating power jumping THAT much because of one season. 4.167 is a good number for both sides.

What? the season before Nurse was 21/22, at the same age Larsson was in the AHL, and Nurse is already blowing Larsson's contract year out of the water. I like Larsson but he isn't Nurse's comparable. That's about the best way I can put it while still being respectful to Lars.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
What? the season before Nurse was 21/22, at the same age Larsson was in the AHL, and Nurse is already blowing Larsson's contract year out of the water. I like Larsson but he isn't Nurse's comparable. That's about the best way I can put it while still being respectful to Lars.
Larsson was and is utilized as a shut down D not offence. Not easily compared

Reactions: nabob

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Some fun looking back at this conversation during the break.

Hey, happy to be wrong. :D

I've always been a fan, but Nurse's growth curve over the last couple of seasons has been legitimately insane. He is a completely different player.

Too many people sleeping on Klefbom though.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I've always been a fan, but Nurse's growth curve over the last couple of seasons has been legitimately insane. He is a completely different player.

He was excellent last year before getting hurt, struggled a bit after he came back and then looked a bit overwhelmed at times in the playoffs. Also keep in mind that Nurse as a rookie played a lot with the likes of Schultz, who had completely given up effort wise.

The 200 game mark is usually where you can expect to see some marked improvements in a young defensemans game. Nurse was at 113 to start this season. Playing with Larsson, who has only been average this year, has allowed Nurse to grow a ton as a player. Please don't saddle him with Benning once Klefbom is back to 100% TMac

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Klefbom's example is exactly why people shouldn't get too excited about Nurse's progress. The challenge will be keeping it together and building on the progress but a lot can happen to derail a young guy. Another reason they should bridge him if they can.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I think the best 3 on 3 we could have, would be McDavid, Nurse and Jesse..
Three guys that can skate like the wind..
Two guys with wicked shots..
One guy who makes brilliant passes..
I don't trust Jesse if we don't have the puck though...

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think the Larsson/Klefbom deal makes sense for Nurse. I don't think he's earned more than them from one season. Either we bridge him or he takes a long term deal where both sides have risk involved. A five year deal at 5M per would put him above stud top 3 guys like Stralman, Hjalmarsson, Tanev, etc..

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think the Larsson/Klefbom deal makes sense for Nurse. I don't think he's earned more than them from one season. Either we bridge him or he takes a long term deal where both sides have risk involved. A five year deal at 5M per would put him above stud top 3 guys like Stralman, Hjalmarsson, Tanev, etc..

I wouldn't trade Nurse for any of those 3.

Put Nurse with Hedman and he's probably considered the best young Dman in the league.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Because he had no offensive ability or puckmoving skills. Nurse is leaps and bounds better than Larsson in almost every aspect of the game.
Larsson's offense was sucked out of him by NJ system.

"Hedman was allowed to do more with his home team in Sweden, so they let him be more active with the puck and try different things," the scout said. "I think Adam Larsson plays a safer game. I certainly think he has the same potential as Hedman. He's every bit as good with the puck and he might be a touch tougher. Hedman is a little bigger, but they're both unbelievably good skaters. I think I would take Larsson over Hedman if I could, based on what I've seen the last three years."
Scouts say Larsson is ahead of Hedman

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
haha Is he that solid defensively? I might have missed it.

I'd wager that he is already our best back checking and puck pursuing winger.

Because he had no offensive ability or puckmoving skills. Nurse is leaps and bounds better than Larsson in almost every aspect of the game.

Except for boxing out a player in front and positional awareness in his own zone I would agree. Both things that can be improved upon because Darnell's physical tools are unmatched

Reactions: Coffey

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Larsson's offense was sucked out of him by NJ system.

"Hedman was allowed to do more with his home team in Sweden, so they let him be more active with the puck and try different things," the scout said. "I think Adam Larsson plays a safer game. I certainly think he has the same potential as Hedman. He's every bit as good with the puck and he might be a touch tougher. Hedman is a little bigger, but they're both unbelievably good skaters. I think I would take Larsson over Hedman if I could, based on what I've seen the last three years."
Scouts say Larsson is ahead of Hedman
I highly doubt the Devil's sucked Larssons puck skills out of him. Players don't just forget how to make a breakout pass.
Except for boxing out a player in front and positional awareness in his own zone I would agree. Both things that can be improved upon because Darnell's physical tools are unmatched
IMO Nurse has been better defensively than Larsson has this season (not really saying much though). He's done very well with tough minutes.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Too early to say anything but that Nurse is currently having a good year.

His price tag should not be too great based on his overall track record.

A Klefbom deal long term or a small bridge deal should be very attainable... depending on the rest of his season of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->