Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I always liked Nurse since we drafted him and I think the Oilers finally have a solid defence core with Oscar Klefbom, Andrej Sejera, Adam Larsson and Darnell Nurse, we finally have a solid blueline. Something that the team always lacked in the Taylor Hall days. Defence and Goaltending always take the most time to build and I think Talbot is a number 1 starter, despite this bad start this year. We also have young players like Pulijarvi and Yamamoto who seem like they have great upside. Even Tyler Benson could be a diamond in the rough for us. I know it's been a disaster season but the giant holes the Oilers had in the Taylor Hall era are now tiny holes. I think just a few better goal scorers and a bit more speed and the Oilers will be a playoff team. I think we're not far away from having a very strong team.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Before I declare Nurse to be super great I need to see at least a full season of this kind of play. I'm loving how he is playing and he is finally a legit top 4 defensemen right now. I just wanna know if it's him having a great year or if this is how he actually is going to be.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Before I declare Nurse to be super great I need to see at least a full season of this kind of play. I'm loving how he is playing and he is finally a legit top 4 defensemen right now. I just wanna know if it's him having a great year or if this is how he actually is going to be.
This. Exact same mistake as last summer, everyone assumes development continues but I've been burned to many time over decade of darkness.

If he is this good next year then awesome but it's just as likely he pulls a klefbom

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This. Exact same mistake as last summer, everyone assumes development continues but I've been burned to many time over decade of darkness.

If he is this good next year then awesome but it's just as likely he pulls a klefbom

It is true that Gagner never developed from who he was in junior, Eberle regressed for 4 straight years before writing his own ticket out of town. Klefbom has been playing with a bad shoulder all season. Injuries happen, just like Nurse regressed last year after coming back from injury.

Nurse has something that sets him apart though. He might be the most physically gifted player in the league from a pure athletic standpoint. So while being able to physically dominate opponents he is also one of the better skaters in the league. Both Gagner and Eberle were weak and slow. They struggle when their space was taken away and they couldn't create their own space. Nurse creates his own space. His develpment curve might taper off, because the progression in his last 100 games played is very impressive.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The way he skates and pursues the puck is amazing. I've seen him lose the puck, catch up to the opposing player and strip him. I forgot which game, but I was completely shocked and in awe. What a great player he is already, and surely will be in the future.

He can out skate you, out muscle you and out punch you. What a g.

Reactions: Uchiha

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
What's your malfunction man. Everything I see typed from you is extremely negative. Just sit back and relax.

Probably because other than McDavid, everyone who has a decent year completely flops the following. Not many Oilers have exactly been consistent. I guess it's hard to "believe". lol

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
If Nurse proves that he can be a power play quarterback, I'm okay with him being rewarded with a better contract. I am not okay with Chiarelli being the one to negotiate said contract though given how he botched the Draisaitl negotiation.

If Nurse scores a bunch of PP points you are going to have to pay him either way.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
+ 17 .... that is an unbeleivable. How is he +17 on the same team Klefbom is -11 ? Nurse is on pace to be +30 ? wtf ? lol. This is playing defense for us this season. that's a mind boggling stat. Nurse is our defense. Nurse and plugs.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Looks like he's on PP 2 now with Klef on PP 1. At least that's what they practiced today.

ugh

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Looks like he's on PP 2 now with Klef on PP 1. At least that's what they practiced today.

ugh

PP1 is messed up from top to bottom. This has been well written about in the past few weeks. Any D that is the point man on PP 1 is in for a tough time

Kimber

Aug 6, 2020
Oilers sucks! Especially #25 I barely sees him blocking shots or hitting anyone only thing he hits is the safety net. Looks lost most of the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad