Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Personally I don't see much in Nurse. Never have. He can't make good outlet passes. He gets lost in his zone a lot. Panics a lot under pressure. He should be a #3/#4 on a good team. Boggles my mind if this guy gets more than 5 mill on a long term deal. He skates well and is tough. I think he is a good locker room guy. He just does nothing exceptional.

We are screwed if him klef and Larsson are still here next year together.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Personally I don't see much in Nurse. Never have. He can't make good outlet passes. He gets lost in his zone a lot. Panics a lot under pressure. He should be a #3/#4 on a good team. Boggles my mind if this guy gets more than 5 mill on a long term deal. He skates well and is tough. I think he is a good locker room guy. He just does nothing exceptional.

Agreed, never overly liked any of these players.

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
Why? He was good during the regular season. Dont trade a player for one bad playoffs, otherwise nugent hopkins would probably be on the islanders now.
I'm worried because the isolation stats like RAPMS and GAR show that Bear was driving the bus and Nurse was the passenger he has always been. Nurse doesn't appear to drive the play posivitely or negatively, he's a net-neutral average NHLer.

I think there must be GMs who would give a good player for a good skating, physical big D like him though.

Reactions: Kimber

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Oilers sucks! Especially #25 I barely sees him blocking shots or hitting anyone only thing he hits is the safety net. Looks lost most of the time
Quality content, amazing thread bump....:skeptic:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The Oilers D as a whole suck. It's incredible that they still haven't found a #1D in the 14 years that has passed since Pronger.

Don't have any real hope that either Broberg or Bouchard becomes that player either. Sigh.

Tired of seeing the Oilers D run around in their own zone and missing assignments.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers D as a whole suck. It's incredible that they still haven't found a #1D in the 14 years that has passed since Pronger.

Don't have any real hope that either Broberg or Bouchard becomes that player either. Sigh.

Tired of seeing the Oilers D run around in their own zone and missing assignments.
It's amazing that our d, even with bad results has been identical for 4 years outside of Bear. Absolutely baffling.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So many of the Oilers young D-men have never made that final "big step up" to become an outstanding player at both ends of the rink. You'd think the probabilities of this happening would be on our side but they haven't been.

I agree with an earlier comment from a poster that we see why Holland drafted Broberg. The D-men just aren't good enough--perhaps the word "adequate" is fair but not one of them is at the elite level. Holland knows this.

Looking forward to seeing Bouchard and his quick release next year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's amazing that our d, even with bad results has been identical for 4 years outside of Bear. Absolutely baffling.

Well, to be fair, that coincides rather nicely with the cap-hell we've been in largely due to the 29 and 97 contracts. Not that I am saying those are bad contracts, they aren't, but they have handcuffed us in terms of what we can do with the roster.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So many of the Oilers young D-men have never made that final "big step up" to become an outstanding player at both ends of the rink. You'd think the probabilities of this happening would be on our side but they haven't been.

I agree with an earlier comment from a poster that we see why Holland drafted Broberg. The D-men just aren't good enough--perhaps the word "adequate" is fair but not one of them is at the elite level. Holland knows this.

Looking forward to seeing Bouchard and his quick release next year.

Bouchard and Broberg are both years away from being a top-pairing dman, IF they ever get there. And lets be honest, it's very likely that they DON'T get there.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Bouchard and Broberg are both years away from being a top-pairing dman, IF they ever get there. And lets be honest, it's very likely that they DON'T get there.

They may not ever get to that level but I think Bouchard could be the best D-man on the team in 2 years--whatever that says.

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
Well, to be fair, that coincides rather nicely with the cap-hell we've been in largely due to the 29 and 97 contracts. Not that I am saying those are bad contracts, they aren't, but they have handcuffed us in terms of what we can do with the roster.
Lucic contracts also starts here.

Ideally youd have your top players on bargain deals like Boston or Tampa, but McDrai are pulling their weight. The dead cap from buyouts and overpaid players is killing this team

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

They're all low IQ players. How many unnecessary icings? It's a lot of throwing the puck up the boards in the D zone instead of skating it out or passing it to the forwards or even just holding the puck under pressure waiting for a higher percentage play, fumbling pucks in the offensive zone, inability to get shots off in the offensive zone. It's painful watching this group trying to keep their head above water.

This is why Bear gets so overhyped by the fanbase. We're so used to seeing Dmen that can't complete an outlet pass, have no poise in the offensive zone and panic in their own zone that when a poised young Dman comes along who can pass the puck moderately well and get a shot through to the net once in a while, he looks like Nick Lidstrom in comparison when in reality, he's a not really THAT good compared to other good young Dmen in the league.

In any event, they can't go forward with Nurse and Klefbom as their top 2 LD for too much longer. A decision will have to be made before Nurse's contract is up in 2 years.
I'd have to assume that the group will look a lot different in short order. Benning contract done after this season, Russell and Larsson next, Nurse the year after, Klefbom the year after that. It's quite possible that 4 of the current top 6 won't be here beyond 2 years and it will be for the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and Zaddy

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

He is our #3/4

Reactions: ujju2

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
They're all low IQ players. How many unnecessary icings? It's a lot of throwing the puck up the boards in the D zone instead of skating it out or passing it to the forwards or even just holding the puck under pressure waiting for a higher percentage play, fumbling pucks in the offensive zone, inability to get shots off in the offensive zone. It's painful watching this group trying to keep their head above water.

This is why Bear gets so overhyped by the fanbase. We're so used to seeing Dmen that can't complete an outlet pass, have no poise in the offensive zone and panic in their own zone that when a poised young Dman comes along who can pass the puck moderately well and get a shot through to the net once in a while, he looks like Nick Lidstrom in comparison when in reality, he's a not really THAT good compared to other good young Dmen in the league.

In any event, they can't go forward with Nurse and Klefbom as their top 2 LD for too much longer. A decision will have to be made before Nurse's contract is up in 2 years.
I'd have to assume that the group will look a lot different in short order. Benning contract done after this season, Russell and Larsson next, Nurse the year after, Klefbom the year after that. It's quite possible that 4 of the current top 6 won't be here beyond 2 years and it will be for the better.

Agreed. I want to see the blueline overhauled in the coming 1-2 years. I'm not really married to any one of them anymore. Bear should stay, but that's about it. I wouldn't mind seeing Larsson, Russell and Benning all gone before next season, and then one of Klefbom/Nurse in the following year. It's clear the Oilers can't continue like this if they ever want to compete. McDavid is entering his 6th season as an Oiler next year, it's high time for this roster to start looking like a contender. Holland got his work cut out for him.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad