Denmark: Danish League 2013-14

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Peter Hirsch announced his retirement from the end of this season. Congrets' to him with a historical career for Danish Hockey.

The playoffs are getting close. Who do think are gonna pick who? SønderjyskE will pick first, Herning second. Aalborg has 3 points down to Frederikshavn in fourth but White Hawks have 2 games in hand(Though two against Herning), so it wouldn't be outrageous to think they'll pick third.

Rungsted wouldn't reach the Playoffs so the picks is between Esbjerg, Odense, Rødovre and Herlev.

SønderjyskE have a 5-0-0 record to go with a 23-4 score against Herlev. No reason no to pick them.

Herning have 4-1 record on Rødovre, Odense and Esbjerg. They could go with each way. But they've scored 10 goals in February against Rødovre. They have a series to revenge from last year. And this weekend in Rødovre the two teams were a bit scrappy so there's no fear of the players not being there.

Aalborg has beat both Esbjerg and Odense big within the last month or so. So a big meh for them. Frederikshavn have matching records against both but have just lost to Odense, so they'll prefer Esbjerg I suppose.

That gives my bid:

SønderjyskE-Herlev
Herning-Rødovre
Aalborg-Esbjerg
Frederikshavn-Odense

Yeah a big congratulation to Peter Hirsch - especially his goaltending in 2003 that made our debut so special! :handclap:

About your bid Bank - you really think that Herning dares to pick Rødovre again?! Especially since Rødovre his improved in the second half of the season compared to the first half?
Maybe they should go with Odense instead?

Matches yesterday brought two big surprises.

Frederikshavn - SønderjydskE : 5-3 [Shots 25-28]
Rungsted - Frederikshavn: 3-0 [Shots 17-47 ! Peter Hirsch played up to his very best before shelving his pads]

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Yeah a big congratulation to Peter Hirsch - especially his goaltending in 2003 that made our debut so special! :handclap:

About your bid Bank - you really think that Herning dares to pick Rødovre again?! Especially since Rødovre his improved in the second half of the season compared to the first half?
Maybe they should go with Odense instead?

Matches yesterday brought two big surprises.

Frederikshavn - SønderjydskE : 5-3 [Shots 25-28]
Rungsted - Frederikshavn: 3-0 [Shots 17-47 ! Peter Hirsch played up to his very best before shelving his pads]

I'm trying to create a forceful jinx ;)

Seeing the game between them last weekend, I don't think Herning will have trouble with motivation or outplaying Rødovre. Could be a cheeky go at it

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I'm trying to create a forceful jinx ;)

Seeing the game between them last weekend, I don't think Herning will have trouble with motivation or outplaying Rødovre. Could be a cheeky go at it

Maybe it was all a game plan for Rødovre to lure Herning into picking them again :laugh:

Yesterday's games:

Esbjerg - SønderjydskE: 1-7 [Shots 14-42, Auch Esbjerg, losing Mosienko and Starkov really hurts]

Rødovre - Odense: 2-3 [Shots 26-34, a recently struggling Odense wins over Rødovre for the third win in a row; Rødovre has lost steam lately]

Herlev - Rungsted: 5-0 [Shots 33-19, Rungsted didn't deliver another goalie miracle this game]

Frederikshavn - Herning: 2-4 [Shots 34-28, Petruska with 3G]

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So Peter Hirsch played his last game in his career. Rungsted won, so all in all a happy ending.

Rungsted - Herlev: 5-2 [Shots 26-39]

SønderjydskE - Esbjerg: 6-3 [Shots 31-19, scoresheet looks descent, but Esbjerg was behind 6-0 and looks like a very shaky team at the moment, but then they had nothing to play for]

Herning - Frederikshavn: 1-2 [Shots 41-28, OT win for Frederikshavn]

Odense - Rødovre: 4-0 [Shots 34-30, Odense is streaking in wins; Rødovre in losses]

So it ends with this 8 teams ready for playoffs, with 9'th placed Rungsted out (but can't be relegated).
So regionally it ended with 5 teams from Jutland, then the one from Funen and then the 3 teams from Zealand closes the bottom.
1) SønderjydskE
2) Herning
3) Aalborg
4) Frederikshavn
5) Esbjerg
6) Odense
7) Rødovre
8) Herlev
---------------------
9) Rungsted.

Team 1-2-3-4 pick their favoured team in that ranking order for the quarterfinals.

Anyways a new (amateur) team has started: Copenhagen Lions. Though they are currently without a rink, but they plan to use the Multiarena when it's finished around 2016. Until then they have to play all their matches away.
They also actually needs to have some players.........

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I haven't figured out if there is any promotion/regulation in the Danish League, is it something like that?

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I haven't figured out if there is any promotion/regulation in the Danish League, is it something like that?

No. Just having 9 teams capable of running a prof. team has shown to be a challenge in Denmark. So there's no alternative to the teams that currently exists and should anyone emerge they'd expand the league to 10 teams pretty easily IMO.

My jinx worked. The quarter finals will be:

SønderjyskE - Esbjerg Energy
Herning - Herlev
Aalborg - Rødovre
Frederikshavn - Odense

But it's all the same. Top 4 teams are all strong teams. In think Odense stands the best - and perhaps only - chance of an upset. Rødovre perhaps with some luck(=Sebastian Dahm having 3-4 games of his life + 1-2 good games).

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
No. Just having 9 teams capable of running a prof. team has shown to be a challenge in Denmark. So there's no alternative to the teams that currently exists and should anyone emerge they'd expand the league to 10 teams pretty easily IMO.

My jinx worked. The quarter finals will be:

SønderjyskE - Esbjerg Energy
Herning - Herlev
Aalborg - Rødovre
Frederikshavn - Odense

But it's all the same. Top 4 teams are all strong teams. In think Odense stands the best - and perhaps only - chance of an upset. Rødovre perhaps with some luck(=Sebastian Dahm having 3-4 games of his life + 1-2 good games).

So Herning did in fact avoid Rødovre and picked Herlev instead!
So SønderjydskE also felt that Esbjerg had been awful lately and picked them.
I agree that Odense has been streaking and could have a chance against Frederikshavn.

Rødovre doesn't have a lot of chances against Aalborg playing great lately with Alex Leavitt ending up winning the point production and Kasper Degn also having a fantastic season ending up as best Dane in production as 4'th (and second best PPG in the league after Leavitt).

Edit: Apparently Leavitt was injured in Aalborg'a latest match, but it seems to be a minor one so it should't keep him from playing.

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
So Herning did in fact avoid Rødovre and picked Herlev instead!
So SønderjydskE also felt that Esbjerg had been awful lately and picked them.
I agree that Odense has been streaking and could have a chance against Frederikshavn.

Rødovre doesn't have a lot of chances against Aalborg playing great lately with Alex Leavitt ending up winning the point production and Kasper Degn also having a fantastic season ending up as best Dane in production as 4'th (and second best PPG in the league after Leavitt).

Add to that a team that has a strong concept, deployed well. And Steffen Klarskov has been playing well lately. As a Rødovre-boy he and Simon Grønvaldt would be motivated to be tough against their childhood club. They properly can't help doinjg some scoreboard watching on the bus home.

For the first game in Rødovre sunday there'll be free entrance, so despite the game being the same time as Brøndby, there should be a somewhat full crowd to try and help the upset.

I've noticed Sebastian Dahm had same expectations as me :laugh: Also... some what a gamble from SønderjyskE no? I mean that would be like Chicago picking a Rinne-less Nashville over Edmonton. Esbjerg has not been great since the matchfixing thing but they're still superior to Herlev IMO.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki

That's too bad! I hope the league system with the lower league teams will be more developed in the future! :handclap:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Add to that a team that has a strong concept, deployed well. And Steffen Klarskov has been playing well lately. As a Rødovre-boy he and Simon Grønvaldt would be motivated to be tough against their childhood club. They properly can't help doinjg some scoreboard watching on the bus home.

For the first game in Rødovre sunday there'll be free entrance, so despite the game being the same time as Brøndby, there should be a somewhat full crowd to try and help the upset.

I've noticed Sebastian Dahm had same expectations as me :laugh: Also... some what a gamble from SønderjyskE no? I mean that would be like Chicago picking a Rinne-less Nashville over Edmonton. Esbjerg has not been great since the matchfixing thing but they're still superior to Herlev IMO.

Hope Rødovre can lure in a good crowd :yo:
Otherwise any ideas about Simon Grønvaldt's potential. He played 4 years in OHL, and has been selected for the Danish NT. How much is he developing and threatening roster spots from the established european base d-men?

About SønderjydskE picking Esbjerg. I think the factor - beside Esbjerg being weakened by the loss of Starkov and Mosienko - is economic.
They will have a derby match with Esbjerg drawing crowds to a much higher extent than if they had chosen Herlev.
But it still is very suprising that number 1 picks number 5 for quarterfinals when they could have chosen 6-7-8.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
That's too bad! I hope the league system with the lower league teams will be more developed in the future! :handclap:

Thanks, so do we all I guess :) But for now it makes for some great rivalries:laugh:

Have only seen Grønvaldt twice this year so I might not be the best judge of his potential, but I'd imagine he's behind the Eurobased D and some of the best Danish backs to.

I guess you got a point with the money point. Just gotta feel like a risk lighting a fire under the ass of the best team(Standing-wise) you could possibly pick.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Congrats to Hirsch on an amazing career. without a doubt the main reason we survived in 2003...hell still cant believe we got out of a group consisting of Switzerland, USA and Russia. And remained on or or the edges of the national team for most of his career.

talking about goalies...i dont watch the danish league but i remember hearing about people suggesting a rule where all goalies had to be danish. i think the swiss league has that rule.

i assume that its unlikely to be implemented but it would do a lot to advance the development of our goalies.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Congrats to Hirsch on an amazing career. without a doubt the main reason we survived in 2003...hell still cant believe we got out of a group consisting of Switzerland, USA and Russia. And remained on or or the edges of the national team for most of his career.

talking about goalies...i dont watch the danish league but i remember hearing about people suggesting a rule where all goalies had to be danish. i think the swiss league has that rule.

i assume that its unlikely to be implemented but it would do a lot to advance the development of our goalies.

Actually I would rather prefer a tandem, where a team can only have one foreign goalie so you could hire a veteran goalie (like Michaud, Pisar or Koenig) to be a kind of mentor for young danish backup goalies (Lilie, Sørensen etc).
Only Hirsch and Dahm were really good enough to be primary goalie, though Sørensen probably is already there.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Actually I would rather prefer a tandem, where a team can only have one foreign goalie so you could hire a veteran goalie (like Michaud, Pisar or Koenig) to be a kind of mentor for young danish backup goalies (Lilie, Sørensen etc).
Only Hirsch and Dahm were really good enough to be primary goalie, though Sørensen probably is already there.

I would be for a rule like this. As you said, the Danish goalie depth isn't good enough to have a Danish goalies only rule. We could have another goalie good enough to start, if someone can convince Simon Nielsen to come home. But I don't think he's ready to give up the dream just yet, but he might be forced to after the season he's having.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
First round in the playoffs ended up with home wins. Both Aalborg and Herning had early goals while SønderjyskE had to go to OT against Esbjerg.

Frederikshavn-Odense: 5-1(1-0)
SønderjyskE-Esbjerg: 1-0 OT(1-0)
Aalborg-Rødovre: 3-1(1-0) - Aalborg lost Lasse Jul Korsgaard and Mark Derlago to injuries during the game.
Herning-Herlev: 6-1(1-0)

Nothing to see her really. Esbjerg might give SønderjyskE a tough time but not more than the regular season winners can take. And everybody but Esbjerg got a goal. Herlev and Odense must feel there's a long way to a win.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
First round in the playoffs ended up with home wins. Both Aalborg and Herning had early goals while SønderjyskE had to go to OT against Esbjerg.

Frederikshavn-Odense: 5-1(1-0)
SønderjyskE-Esbjerg: 1-0 OT(1-0)
Aalborg-Rødovre: 3-1(1-0) - Aalborg lost Lasse Jul Korsgaard and Mark Derlago to injuries during the game.
Herning-Herlev: 6-1(1-0)

Nothing to see her really. Esbjerg might give SønderjyskE a tough time but not more than the regular season winners can take. And everybody but Esbjerg got a goal. Herlev and Odense must feel there's a long way to a win.

Surprised that Odense was beating so easily BUT Esbjerg gave SønderjydskE a lot more that they and most others had bargained for.
You were right Bank: "a risk lighting a fire under the ass of the best team(Standing-wise) you could possibly pick". Esbjerg really went for it. With a win it would have looked like they standing a real chance. But SønderjydskE showed that when it's close the best team often has the luck.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I would be for a rule like this. As you said, the Danish goalie depth isn't good enough to have a Danish goalies only rule. We could have another goalie good enough to start, if someone can convince Simon Nielsen to come home. But I don't think he's ready to give up the dream just yet, but he might be forced to after the season he's having.

Simon Nielsen need to go to a place where he plays for sure ASAP.
He has almost gone an entire year playing only a handfull of matches (according to eliteprospects 2 in SM-liiga, though they werent full matches, 1 in Mestis and 3 for the NT, not sure they were full matches either?)

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Todays results:

Rødovre - Aalborg: 3-2(0-0, 0-1, 2-1, 1-0) OT
Herlev - Herning: 0-5(0-2, 0-3, 0-0)
Esbjerg Energy - SønderjyskE: 1-4(0-1, 0-2, 1-1)
Odense - Frederikshavn: (0-0, 0-1, 1-2)

Also Rødovre captain Micheal Smidt announced his retirement after this season. Rødovres Mike Modano ;) :D

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Todays results:

Rødovre - Aalborg: 3-2(0-0, 0-1, 2-1, 1-0) OT
Herlev - Herning: 0-5(0-2, 0-3, 0-0)
Esbjerg Energy - SønderjyskE: 1-4(0-1, 0-2, 1-1)
Odense - Frederikshavn: (0-0, 0-1, 1-2)

Also Rødovre captain Micheal Smidt announced his retirement after this season. Rødovres Mike Modano ;) :D

Surprising that Rødovre managed to win a match over Aalborg; but they often show quality when it comes to playoffs. So Rødovre made sure he would play some more matches before retirement! He has been Mr. Rødovre for some years now.
Odense was also close but lost and Esbjerg couldn't keep the score close this time. Herlev has been totally outplayed the first two matches as expected.

So after two quarterfinal matches
So Aalborg - Rødovre 1-1
Herning - Herlev 2-0
SønderjydskE - Esbjerg 2-0
Frederikshavn - Odense 2-0

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Surprising that Rødovre managed to win a match over Aalborg; but they often show quality when it comes to playoffs. So Rødovre made sure he would play some more matches before retirement! He has been Mr. Rødovre for some years now.
Odense was also close but lost and Esbjerg couldn't keep the score close this time. Herlev has been totally outplayed the first two matches as expected.

So after two quarterfinal matches
So Aalborg - Rødovre 1-1
Herning - Herlev 2-0
SønderjydskE - Esbjerg 2-0
Frederikshavn - Odense 2-0

I believe he's the only one with more than 600 games in the red jersey. He cites the championship, his goal against USA at the WC and playing with Lars Eller on the National Team in Montreal as his biggest moments. He's always been a favorite of mine with his good skating, hard work and small moments of finesse. One of the reasons Rødovre always get's another gear in the Playoffs. At least those years where he's been captain and part of the core.

Noted that both Herlev and Odense couldn't draw 1000 people to playoff hockey. That's to bad. Playoffs hockey is just more fun.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I believe he's the only one with more than 600 games in the red jersey. He cites the championship, his goal against USA at the WC and playing with Lars Eller on the National Team in Montreal as his biggest moments. He's always been a favorite of mine with his good skating, hard work and small moments of finesse. One of the reasons Rødovre always get's another gear in the Playoffs. At least those years where he's been captain and part of the core.

Noted that both Herlev and Odense couldn't draw 1000 people to playoff hockey. That's to bad. Playoffs hockey is just more fun.

His goal against USA being his only WC goal. Participated in 4 WC.
So he reached being the player with most matches and most assists ever for Rødovre. So great club career!

Christian Schioldan also retires in Frederikshavn, so it's final nights for some old Danish league and NT veterans.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

Smidt is a true club legend. Even if he was confused for a year and ended up in Aalborg. And he finishes while he's still a good hockey player. Good for him to be able to end it in a way worthy of his career. Also, he has the omnious honour of ending his career with 666 games played in the league, maybe an honourary game next year? :laugh:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Wow, somebody is not going down without a fight! :handclap:

Game 3:

Herning-Herlev: 1-0(Series 3-0 Herning)
Frederikshavn-Odense: 3-5(Series 2-1 Frederikshavn)
SønderjyskE-Esbjerg: 2-3OT(Series 2-1 SønderjyskE)
Aalborg-Rødovre: 1-4(Series 2-1 Rødovre) :handclap::amazed::D:jump::bow::scared: :propeller:hyper::5::highclap::vhappy: :towel:

Odense and Esbjerg aren't letting Frederikshavn or SønderjyskE go through without working for it. Aalborg are now behind and while they're still favorites they now have to go at least 6 games if not 7. Rødovre are rising to the occasion again! Real character win. Behind 1-0 on a PP goal by Lewitt. Equalize shorthanded - Then have a crucial third period with 3 goals - one EN SHG. And oh captain, my captain... Michael Smidt with 2 goals in the 3rd. The end of the game had a 2+10 for Aalborg so some emotions there to. Aalborg will come firing on all cylinders Friday in Rødovre where the home crowd should provide a fierce opposition. What a clash it has the potential to be. Esbjerg and Odense are going home with morale and have to try build on their momentum to chase that equalizing game.

It's worth noting that all of Odense, Esbjerg and Rødovre were outshot. Odense by 12, Rødovre by 18 and Esbjerg by 27. So I'd imagine there's been some great goalie performances. Wonder if any of the three rebels will succeed in their upset :)

Oh and Herlev... Look like Herning got that one right :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Wow, somebody is not going down without a fight! :handclap:

Game 3:

Herning-Herlev: 1-0(Series 3-0 Herning)
Frederikshavn-Odense: 3-5(Series 2-1 Frederikshavn)
SønderjyskE-Esbjerg: 2-3OT(Series 2-1 SønderjyskE)
Aalborg-Rødovre: 1-4(Series 2-1 Rødovre) :handclap::amazed::D:jump::bow::scared: :propeller:hyper::5::highclap::vhappy: :towel:

Odense and Esbjerg aren't letting Frederikshavn or SønderjyskE go through without working for it. Aalborg are now behind and while they're still favorites they now have to go at least 6 games if not 7. Rødovre are rising to the occasion again! Real character win. Behind 1-0 on a PP goal by Lewitt. Equalize shorthanded - Then have a crucial third period with 3 goals - one EN SHG. And oh captain, my captain... Michael Smidt with 2 goals in the 3rd. The end of the game had a 2+10 for Aalborg so some emotions there to. Aalborg will come firing on all cylinders Friday in Rødovre where the home crowd should provide a fierce opposition. What a clash it has the potential to be. Esbjerg and Odense are going home with morale and have to try build on their momentum to chase that equalizing game.

It's worth noting that all of Odense, Esbjerg and Rødovre were outshot. Odense by 12, Rødovre by 18 and Esbjerg by 27. So I'd imagine there's been some great goalie performances. Wonder if any of the three rebels will succeed in their upset :)

Oh and Herlev... Look like Herning got that one right :)

Really surprising that Rødovre could win two in a row, and that also Esbjerg and Odense got a win.
As you say when goalkeepers rise to the occasion even an outshot team can win.
Herlev only lost 1-0 third game, so by far the closest they have been against Herning.

About the match-fixing case it was Mustukovs that apparently thought it inappropriate that backup goalie Dennis Jensen had advised him to "throw" some matches and went to the coach.
So in my opinion he made the right choice as a professional.
Source: http://www.hockeymagasinet.dk/index.php/mustukovs-fortryder-ikke/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad