Player Discussion: Daniil Tarasov: Goalie of the Future?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Jarmo should waive Tarasov at the end of preseason, as he should clear waivers.

Columbus needs to sign a goalie in the offseason maybe they could sign that guy Korpisalo if he makes it to market, heard he wasn’t too bad.:naughty: Hill or Raanta might be available options as well.

Reactions: majormajor

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Man, he’s been terrible since coming back up, it’s disappointing, but helping our tank immensely - both goalies are just bad.

One would think the goalie duo is set for the next season, but both Elvis and Tarry bring zero confidence right now.

Not like I’m expecting the Jackets to battle for a play off spot next season even with Bedard in the Metro bloodbath, but watching underperforming goaltending again is not appealing

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I have now moved him into the "I worry about him" category, Lots of injuries, not a lot of good NHL games and his injury history are not good signs. Although he has had some flashes in his NHL starts.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
A little over a year since we signed Daniil to a three-year contract. What do we know about him? What do we think we know about him?

I'd like to see another NHL goalie brought in to bump Tarasov down to Cleveland for hopefully a long stretch of play. Publiucly at least, that's not the approach Jarmo is taking.

Is he a time-share with Elvis? I he the straight-up backup in Columbus?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
A little over a year since we signed Daniil to a three-year contract. What do we know about him? What do we think we know about him?

I'd like to see another NHL goalie brought in to bump Tarasov down to Cleveland for hopefully a long stretch of play. Publiucly at least, that's not the approach Jarmo is taking.

Is he a time-share with Elvis? I he the straight-up backup in Columbus?
That would be ideal however Tarasov is no longer waiver ineligible. So he would no way clear waivers.

He’s the backup. And we know nothing more about him than when this thread was started.

Talented, but injury prone

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
How convinced are we that he would not clear waivers? Why?
Very. He’s very cheap and very young with lots of upside. Goalies have had a recent history of having trouble getting through waivers (even if they’re not even good). I think Anton Forsberg was claimed off waivers 3 or 4 times a few years ago

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think he would clear waivers at the beginning of the season when lots of guys are waived. A team claiming him would have to be convinced he is an NHL goalie or decide to run with 3 goalies. I’m not convinced he is an NHL goalie and I don’t think we should run with 3 goalies.

The scenario I see where he gets claimed is if a team has an injured goalie out for a few weeks at the start of the season and they don’t want to sign a guy. So they claim Tarasov with the idea he’ll be a back up for about two to four weeks and then they waive him when their regular backup gets healthy.

We really over rate some of our guys. Tarasov and Bemstrom are two examples. People thought Bemstrom would be claimed last year when he was waived. He wasn’t.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Very. He’s very cheap and very young with lots of upside. Goalies have had a recent history of having trouble getting through waivers (even if they’re not even good). I think Anton Forsberg was claimed off waivers 3 or 4 times a few years ago

That makes sense but our track record here is to greatly overestimate the likelihood of a waiver claim, so I just give up guessing.

I don't really care if Tarasov gets claimed. He might not break through for another five years, or maybe never. It's more important that we have good goalies now.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
That makes sense but our track record here is to greatly overestimate the likelihood of a waiver claim, so I just give up guessing.

I don't really care if Tarasov gets claimed. He might not break through for another five years, or maybe never. It's more important that we have good goalies now.
What if Tarasov is a good goalie now? We know very little about him. There’s not exactly a veteran goalie on the market anymore that just begs to be picked up.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I trust Tarasov more than I do Elvis (not exactly a groundbreaking statement I know). He has much better technique and solid upside. I'm excited to see him in a good system with an improved defense. I'm shocked people would let him go for nothing, who are you putting in goal once Elvis inevitably sucks?

Reactions: VT

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I think he would clear waivers at the beginning of the season when lots of guys are waived. A team claiming him would have to be convinced he is an NHL goalie or decide to run with 3 goalies. I’m not convinced he is an NHL goalie and I don’t think we should run with 3 goalies.

The scenario I see where he gets claimed is if a team has an injured goalie out for a few weeks at the start of the season and they don’t want to sign a guy. So they claim Tarasov with the idea he’ll be a back up for about two to four weeks and then they waive him when their regular backup gets healthy.

We really over rate some of our guys. Tarasov and Bemstrom are two examples. People thought Bemstrom would be claimed last year when he was waived. He wasn’t.
I think expectations for immediate success by some of our players is unrealistic.

I don't know how you compare a 23 year old goalie who plays a premium position that very often doesn't produce NHL players until they are 24-25 with a 23 year old bottom six energy forward who plays the least complicated position on the ice. Even 120 games may be considered premature for evaluating Bemmer's long term prospects but the truth is the CBJ were loaded with guys who play his position considering where on the depth chart he falls.

OTOH, Tarasov plays a position that takes far more years to develop and we have no prospects in the pipeline who are even remotely close to being as NHL ready as he is.

Best goalies in the league this past year: Ullmark (25 when he first made an NHL impact), Gustavsson (25), Swayman (23 but on a vastly superior team), Samsonov (25), Sorokin (25), Shesterkin (25), etc. Sure there are goalies who break through earlier like Oettinger, Vasilesky and Hellebucyk but for the most part...23 is young for a good starting NHL goalie and the exception to the rule.

Jarmo drafted Tarasov in 2017 and the team has patiently waited as he has developed. I highly doubt Jarmo risks even a remote chance he gets claimed on waivers just as he is entering his window (he just turned 24) of when he might prove to be a legit NHL goalie. Heck, 2024-2025 would be the season when he reaches the age that Sorokiin and Shesterkin just entered the league.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What if Tarasov is a good goalie now? We know very little about him. There’s not exactly a veteran goalie on the market anymore that just begs to be picked up.

What if Martin Jones is better than him? It seems Tarasov's odds of success are similar to a below average journeyman, only less reliable because of the hips.

I haven't looked into who is left on the market. Obviously Jarmo is going to rely more on Tarasov and Elvis than I'd like.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Ivanov is 5’11 but he’s posted some impressive stats throughout the years, let’s not count him out
I don't think anyone is counting him out but the kid is barely nineteen years old with 5 KHL games played. My guess is that if everything goes smoothly for him we could see him in Columbus in 4-5 years.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
What if Martin Jones is better than him? It seems Tarasov's odds of success are similar to a below average journeyman, only less reliable because of the hips.

I haven't looked into who is left on the market. Obviously Jarmo is going to rely more on Tarasov and Elvis than I'd like.
I am disappointed we are having this discussion.
  • I am usually one of the first to give up on a prospect whether it was Stenlund who I was right about or Bemmer who I think I am right about or Foudy who might still prove me wrong. But there is no way I am ready to give up on a 23 year old goalie who has shown some flashes that he could be a good NHL goalie.
  • People griping about how we gave up too soon on JAM, Karlsson, DuClaire, etc but see no problem giving up on a young goalie who shouldn't have even played in the NHL last season because he wasn't ready.
  • We spent this entire season bitching about how dreadful our defense was and how we left our goalies out on an island way too many times but don't have an issue with suggesting a young goalie won't cut it in the NHL based on his showing behind this pourous defense.
Is his injury history concerning? Absolutely! But I am willing to give the kid another season to see what he can do as a #2 behind a revamped defense with an NHL defensive structure not drawn up by the Keystone Cops. If not giving up on Tarasov this early means we need to carry him on the NHL roster and give him regular playing time I am fine with it. In 2024-2025 we should have a better idea if we are looking for all new goalies or if there is something on the roster we can win with.

Reactions: MoeBartoli and VT

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ivanov is 5’11 but he’s posted some impressive stats throughout the years, let’s not count him out

I don't think anyone is counting him out but the kid is barely nineteen years old with 5 KHL games played. My guess is that if everything goes smoothly for him we could see him in Columbus in 4-5 years.
We haven’t even had time to count him in yet!

• Haha
Reactions: Xoggz22 and Doggy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am disappointed we are having this discussion.
  • I am usually one of the first to give up on a prospect whether it was Stenlund who I was right about or Bemmer who I think I am right about or Foudy who might still prove me wrong. But there is no way I am ready to give up on a 23 year old goalie who has shown some flashes that he could be a good NHL goalie.
  • People griping about how we gave up too soon on JAM, Karlsson, DuClaire, etc but see no problem giving up on a young goalie who shouldn't have even played in the NHL last season because he wasn't ready.
  • We spent this entire season bitching about how dreadful our defense was and how we left our goalies out on an island way too many times but don't have an issue with suggesting a young goalie won't cut it in the NHL based on his showing behind this pourous defense.
Is his injury history concerning? Absolutely! But I am willing to give the kid another season to see what he can do as a #2 behind a revamped defense with an NHL defensive structure not drawn up by the Keystone Cops. If not giving up on Tarasov this early means we need to carry him on the NHL roster and give him regular playing time I am fine with it. In 2024-2025 we should have a better idea if we are looking for all new goalies or if there is something on the roster we can win with.

I'm not giving up on Tarasov, in the first place I don't treat non-elite goalies or goalie prospects as assets to hoard and give valuable roster space to. Goalies like that (most goalies) are very unpredictable. They might pop when they're 22 and then regress, or maybe they pop when they're 26 or 29 or maybe never. There's no extra value to developing one of your own. In fact it's a cost to your team if you're giving one of two NHL jobs to a guy who obviously isn't ready for it.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I'm not giving up on Tarasov, in the first place I don't treat non-elite goalies or goalie prospects as assets to hoard and give valuable roster space to. Goalies like that (most goalies) are very unpredictable. They might pop when they're 22 and then regress, or maybe they pop when they're 26 or 29 or maybe never. There's no extra value to developing one of your own. In fact it's a cost to your team if you're giving one of two NHL jobs to a guy who obviously isn't ready for it.
No but you suggest grabbing a goalie who as a veteran in this league had a worse Save Percentage last year than Tarasov and hasn't bested .900 in any of the last five seasons. I think you could make the argument Tarasov is already better than Jones and Jones is a consistent goalie...a consistently below average goalie.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No but you suggest grabbing a goalie who as a veteran in this league had a worse Save Percentage last year than Tarasov and hasn't bested .900 in any of the last five seasons. I think you could make the argument Tarasov is already better than Jones and Jones is a consistent goalie...a consistently below average goalie.

Like I said I haven't looked into whatever is left on the market, probably not much there. Jarmo had his chance at better goalies and didn't want them.

You just said that Tarasov wasn't NHL ready last year (I'd certainly agree!) so it seems quite obvious to me that there were better journeymen goalies on the market that we could have had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad