Player Discussion: Daniil Tarasov: Goalie of the Future?

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Hes also coming off hip surgery and hasnt played a ton the last few years, I think they need to be a bit careful on how much he actually plays
I expect Lars to rotate, Elvis is making 5.4 million, he's going to play. Even if it's in an attempt to "figure it out".

Reactions: MAHJ71 and Fro

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What’s @thebus88 verdict on Tarasov ? Is he even close to Korpi ?
Actual quality of goalie right now??

Korpisalo > Tarasov > Merzlikins

I don’t get sucked into making wild claims after short sample sizes and my opinions don’t vary and flip flop the way a lot of people do on their opinions of players around here. Look at how quickly things have changed regarding peoples opinions on Elvis. He’s the SAME goalie he’s always been.

Tarasov has room for growth. That is the 1 aspect he does have over the other guys. Another aspect that doesn’t seem to be hit on as much that is relevant to ALL the goalies, is the concept of the “sophomore slump”, how different that is for a player like a hockey goalie (or pitcher/QB,etc) and WHAT the term actually means. Korpisalo has gone through this, I’d argue Elvis has been going through it and we are seeing it “come to a head” currently, and Tarasov still has to go through it. Who knows how Tarasov handles players that are playing/shooting against him for the 2nd time ever. He’s a guy that has posted sub-.900 save %’s in the AHL… and if that was Korpisalo….??

In high level pro sports almost all of the guys are intelligent enough to get to understand other players TENDENCIES after a certain period of time. Certain positions, like hockey goalie, this entire concept is magnified and that much more important, to both the player and the opposition.

Some players are much better at EVOLVING their games and getting better at the things they need to be better at. It has always been a thing that I found hilarious, that AT THE SAME AGE, Elvis has always been treated as if he had more “potential” or “room to grow”, over Korpisalo.

All my talk or hype of Korpisalo does no good if he can’t play and/or still posts the GAA and save % that he does, but, I don’t think now is the time to be “ATTACKING” my evaluations of the CBJ goalie position, as I have been saying all the things that are now being said about Elvis, for a very long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAHJ71 and VT

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Actual quality of goalie right now??

Korpisalo > Tarasov > Merzlikins

I don’t get sucked into making wild claims after short sample sizes and my opinions don’t vary and flip flop the way a lot of people do on their opinions of players around here. Look at how quickly things have changed regarding peoples opinions on Elvis. He’s the SAME goalie he’s always been.

Tarasov has room for growth. That is the 1 aspect he does have over the other guys. Another aspect that doesn’t seem to be hit on as much that is relevant to ALL the goalies, is the concept of the “sophomore slump”, how different that is for a player like a hockey goalie (or pitcher/QB,etc) and WHAT the term actually means. Korpisalo has gone through this, I’d argue Elvis has been going through it and we are seeing it “come to a head” currently, and Tarasov still has to go through it. Who knows how Tarasov handles players that are playing/shooting against him for the 2nd time ever. He’s a guy that has posted sub-.900 save %’s in the AHL… and if that was Korpisalo….??

In high level pro sports almost all of the guys are intelligent enough to get to understand other players TENDENCIES after a certain period of time. Certain positions, like hockey goalie, this entire concept is magnified and that much more important, to both the player and the opposition.

Some players are much better at EVOLVING their games and getting better at the things they need to be better at. It has always been a thing that I found hilarious, that AT THE SAME AGE, Elvis has always been treated as if he had more “potential” or “room to grow”, over Korpisalo.

All my talk or hype of Korpisalo does no good if he can’t play and/or still posts the GAA and save % that he does, but, I don’t think now is the time to be “ATTACKING” my evaluations of the CBJ goalie position, as I have been saying all the things that are now being said about Elvis, for a very long time.

What are your thoughts on his positioning and tendencies so far?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What are your thoughts on his positioning and tendencies so far?

I haven’t seen him enough to really say. No way to replay games this year so far which hurts.

Everything seems fine with Tarasov, and he is young. I’m not gonna start saying all the things people were saying about Elvis up until a month ago. He hasn’t played many NHL or AHL games.

He comes off his angles a bit and goes down early it seems at times, his positioning is good enough, but, he can’t “rely” on it too much at the NHL level. His movement and rebound control seems good.

Reactions: cslebn

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Should the team be souring on Tarasov? I see people posting elsewhere that we should have kept Korpi and send Tarasov down...and not worry about him being claimed on waivers because nobody would take him.

I think this is nuts. While I am not positive Tarasov is the goalie of the future I am hardly ready to give up on him. He's only now turning 24, played just 39 games the past two years (slowing his development) and backstopping an AHL quality defensive group. Right now my biggest concern is his ability to stay healthy.

As a side note, this organization has NEVER learned how to properly develop goalies. I realize its often out of desperation and injuries but just once I'd like to see this organization decide "screw it, we are not going to allow current circumstances to force us to potentially sacrifice the long term success of a future NHL goalie by rushing him to what he's not ready for.

Reactions: VT

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not giving up on him either but the returns do not look good. He's constantly injured, which is my biggest gripe with him. His skills and technique seem fine for the most part. He's a bit slow to react, but he makes up for it by being so large. I don't know, he's a tricky one. He's for sure the backup next year so we'll have to see. But we better have a very experienced #3 ready in Cleveland because neither he or Elvis can be relied on to be healthy.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Well, look at Ivan Prosvetov in Arizona, they kept him in the AHL for a long time and only now they starting getting the returns they expected.

He’s very similar to Tarasov in terms of size, age, technique etc

Reactions: CBJ goalie

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I'm not giving up on him either but the returns do not look good. He's constantly injured, which is my biggest gripe with him. His skills and technique seem fine for the most part. He's a bit slow to react, but he makes up for it by being so large. I don't know, he's a tricky one. He's for sure the backup next year so we'll have to see. But we better have a very experienced #3 ready in Cleveland because neither he or Elvis can be relied on to be healthy.
I bolded your comment "constantly injured" - I agree he has been. Whether that is a long-term issue remains to be seen.
My gripe isn't so much that I think he will be injury-prone in the future but that we have no idea whether he is going to be a good NHL goalie because he's constantly battling a lack of play, mostly due to injuries (and partly due to usage). He needs to start next season as the starter at least every third game (on average). You've got to find out if he's the next G; if after 2 months he's not cutting it but the team is overall playing well, then they need to go a different direction. I don't think the difference between Elvis and Tarasov will have significant effect on team's W-L record - mostly because I don't expect the entire team to be very good at the beginning of next season, regardless of goaltending.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Should the team be souring on Tarasov?

I see him as a likely NHL back up or starter on a bad team. I don’t see him as a star or even something like the 12th to 16th best goalie in the league who plays on a really good team with a shot at the Cup. I am ok with waiving him and risking losing him next year. If we lose him and need a goalie we could pick up a similar guy on waivers. Or maybe him again on waivers. I want to draft a goalie with the late first or early second. I know goalies are voodoo, but I want a higher end prospect in the system to develop — like the Preds have with Askarov.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Danil is going to be a beast . He’s played against most of the top teams this year and looked really good in front of a terrible defensive team .

• Haha
Reactions: domi28

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I see him as a likely NHL back up or starter on a bad team. I don’t see him as a star or even something like the 12th to 16th best goalie in the league who plays on a really good team with a shot at the Cup. I am ok with waiving him and risking losing him next year. If we lose him and need a goalie we could pick up a similar guy on waivers. Or maybe him again on waivers. I want to draft a goalie with the late first or early second. I know goalies are voodoo, but I want a higher end prospect in the system to develop — like the Preds have with Askarov.

If you're only going to carry two goalies next year then I might prefer to trade Tarasov. I think his value is a bit above waiving. I hope we just carry three.

Reactions: domi28

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I like Tarasov, other than he's health I don't see why he wouldn't/couldn't become a solid NHL goalie. But health is huge for being a starter...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am also cool with waving Elvis. But odds are pretty good that one or both will be injured.

Which is part of why we should just start off carrying three. If you start with two we'll end up calling up replacements like Greaves or Cajan anyways when guys get injured. Might as well just get a better goalie this summer.

Better goalie
Elvis
Tarasov

is better than

Elvis
Tarasov
Greaves

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Neither goalie can stay healthy I guarantee for a stretch of time next season both Elvis and Tarasov will be injured at the same time and we'll be riding the Jet train for at least a couple of weeks.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Which is part of why we should just start off carrying three. If you start with two we'll end up calling up replacements like Greaves or Cajan anyways when guys get injured. Might as well just get a better goalie this summer.

Better goalie
Elvis
Tarasov

is better than

Elvis
Tarasov
Greaves

For next year I would go with

- cheap but ok free agent goalie (Adin Hill?)
- whichever is playing better (or healthy) between Tarasov and Elvis

I think we can waive Tarasov at the beginning of the season and nobody will claim him. And then he can spend the season in the AHL. Unless Elvis just sucks. Then waive Elvis.

I really don’t care what we do with the goalies. I don’t think we currently have a goalie on the roster that will be the starter when we are ready to be a serious contender for the Cup. Just don’t be stupid and buy out Elvis and hurt our cap situation when we might be good.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think we can waive Tarasov at the beginning of the season and nobody will claim him. And then he can spend the season in the AHL. Unless Elvis just sucks. Then waive Elvis.

I really don’t care what we do with the goalies. I don’t think we currently have a goalie on the roster that will be the starter when we are ready to be a serious contender for the Cup. Just don’t be stupid and buy out Elvis and hurt our cap situation when we might be good.

I think Hill would qualify as "better goalie".

I'm not entirely sure Elvis can't recover, he's been .900 or so in his last dozen games. But that's only one goalie, if he recovers, so get more.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

You seriously think nobody would claim Tarasov? I think its no question that he WOULD get claimed. 23-24 year old goalie prospects don't come along for free every day. He may not be ready to be the starter because his development has been screwed over completely with the constant injuries, call ups and no regular playing time but don't think for a second there isn't another team in this league that wouldn't take him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You seriously think nobody would claim Tarasov? I think its no question that he WOULD get claimed. 23-24 year old goalie prospects don't come along for free every day. He may not be ready to be the starter because his development has been screwed over completely with the constant injuries, call ups and no regular playing time but don't think for a second there isn't another team in this league that wouldn't take him.

I figure there is probably some team that has a goalie injured in camp and would claim Tarasov.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

He has the problem that he is not yet ready to be a full-time NHL goalie. He needs to go back to the AHL. That is not just a CBJ issue. It is an any team that has Tarasov issue. I don’t see a team wanting to start their season with Tarasov as one of their NHL goalies.

I figure there is probably some team that has a goalie injured in camp and would claim Tarasov.

That is the one scenario I could see happening. And then they would waive him when that injured goalie comes back.

No team expecting to make the playoffs would claim him. Which takes out about 20+ teams right off the bat. Unless maybe they have a goalie out for 2 weeks and it is a short term move.

I guess a team that is seriously tanking next year could claim him. But at the beginning of the season a lot of talent is waived. There are likely to be better goalies waived.

He is a goalie (And one with a history of injuries) so there is not much trade value. Would anyone give up a 4th for him? I’d rather chance successfully waiving him at the start of the season and see what happens.

Also, I don’t think he’ll develop into anything as an NHL backup next season. He needs to be playing as many games as possible. So if we keep him just to keep him, he won’t develop into anything worth having.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He has the problem that he is not yet ready to be a full-time NHL goalie. He needs to go back to the AHL. That is not just a CBJ issue. It is an any team that has Tarasov issue. I don’t see a team wanting to start their season with Tarasov as one of their NHL goalies.

That is the one scenario I could see happening. And then they would waive him when that injured goalie comes back.

No team expecting to make the playoffs would claim him. Which takes out about 20+ teams right off the bat. Unless maybe they have a goalie out for 2 weeks and it is a short term move.

I guess a team that is seriously tanking next year could claim him. But at the beginning of the season a lot of talent is waived. There are likely to be better goalies waived.

He is a goalie (And one with a history of injuries) so there is not much trade value. Would anyone give up a 4th for him? I’d rather chance successfully waiving him at the start of the season and see what happens.

Also, I don’t think he’ll develop into anything as an NHL backup next season. He needs to be playing as many games as possible. So if we keep him just to keep him, he won’t develop into anything worth having.

Goalies can and often do develop as backups, Tarasov in particular has many technical issues he can improve in practice. The problem is he doesn't seem to be NHL caliber yet. Not a reassuring backup and not someone we can pair with Elvis. Getting an actually good goalie for next year to split with Elvis makes more sense.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Goalies can and often do develop as backups, Tarasov in particular has many technical issues he can improve in practice.

I agree with that in general, but Tarasov just needs to play games. The dude hasn’t played a bunch of games since the 2019-20 season.

19-20 42 games
20-21 27 games
21-22 15 games
22-23 24 games so far

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad