Player Discussion: Daniil Tarasov: Goalie of the Future?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Nice term, hopefully he's over the injuries that plagued him last season and his draft year. AHL next season, back up Elvis the next, fight for more playing time in the last contract year.

Reactions: cslebn

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
SuperScout Aaron Portzline thinks Tarasov is the long term goalie for the CBJ. Not Elvis or Joonas.
A lot of people can think a lot of things. He's got 3 years to prove it. In any instance, the plan for him is obviously to play in Cleveland again this year. At least until 1 of the 2 eventually get injured.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Great! I was afraid there would be problems, since his agent is J. P. Barry, who works with Pat Brisson.
I think Daniil is more talented than Elvis and Korpi. I hope he will return his conditions quickly and shows his talent still in next season.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
He still has a way to go. I would like to see him get an uninterrupted season in the AHL, but that is probably doubtful given injuries. He has had some games where he looked great, but also games he looked pretty bad. I know the Monsters defense wasn't stellar, but he let in some easy goals. I think he will improve, and hopefully there are less injuries with the Jackets so we aren't reduced to an ECHL club again.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Both should be ready for camp.

Well two of them are around $1M each so sending one to Cleveland isn't really an issue. Just have to pay his nhl salary.
Yeah, I guess both combined are less than what Korpi was making last year. but Elvis's big extension kicks in so we'll have about 7.7 wrapped up in 3 goalies. Still less than what Bob is making in FL.

Reactions: Xoggz22

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah, I guess both combined are less than what Korpi was making last year. but Elvis's big extension kicks in so we'll have about 7.7 wrapped up in 3 goalies. Still less than what Bob is making in FL.
From a cap perspective it isn't a big deal. One of them will be in Cleveland so that salary doesn't count against the cap.

From a pure dollar perspective, a million here, a million there, no big deal.:sarcasm:

Reactions: CBJx614 and Xoggz22

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Just ended watching the 7games goals allowed and almost every save with both goalies. Theres unbealivible difference. Tarasov looks very calm and steady, doesnt panic doesnt overreact. Keeps his moves simply and productive.
Elvis instead suffles and puffles all around, hes overplaying 1/2 situations, doesnt handle rebounds, hes not steady at all. Tarasov should be starter at the moment.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Just ended watching the 7games goals allowed and almost every save with both goalies. Theres unbealivible difference. Tarasov looks very calm and steady, doesnt panic doesnt overreact. Keeps his moves simply and productive.
Elvis instead suffles and puffles all around, hes overplaying 1/2 situations, doesnt handle rebounds, hes not steady at all. Tarasov should be starter at the moment.
Forgot. Even if Tarasov plays like Vasilevskiy (btw, both are pupils of the hockey team Salavat Yulaev Ufa) and Korpisalo like Saros, a starter will be Merzlikins.

Reactions: thebus88

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Post-game Tarasov after the 5-1 win over the Rangers:

He speaks pretty good English too, always helps I'm sure. He spent 2019-2020 in Finland in Pori. I vaguely remember hearing about him in a positive way in the local hockey news over the season. Seems like he overplayed a little in the beginning but stabilized his game towards the end of the season (source).

Right now Tarasov looks to be our best goalie.
Hes also coming off hip surgery and hasnt played a ton the last few years, I think they need to be a bit careful on how much he actually plays
This. I'd like to start Tarasov now every time but it probably isn't smart given the surgery.

Korpi better get healthy soon so we can at least lay the blame on two goalies instead of one whenever Tarasov isn't playing. ;)

Reactions: Halberdier and ViD

Tecmo

Jul 24, 2022
Ohio
Tarasov looks calm and collected in the net. I don't know anything about goaltending in the NHL, but I like what the eye-test is showing me. Give him more playing time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad