Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't think it's controversial to say that although we absolutely want Marner to produce, Marner doesn't have to produce. He just needs to pass the old Maple Leaf Gardens eye test that sees him battle, in a game and on a night that's there for his taking.

We've never spited our club and our players for losing. We spite apathy.

And in this day and age, players absolutely make way too much money to be apathetic however difficult that kind of wealth is to fight through in its induction of apathy and sense of having fulfilled everything a person could aspire towards.

Can any of us forget Marner's salute to the fans by including 9 and 3 as an homage to Doug Gilmour in his nigh-11M dollar contract?

Tone deaf as that is, here's a thought: Pay homage to players like Doug Gilmour by embracing the idea that bleeding on the sweater in the playoffs is the only tribute that counts because it's the one the rest of us would do for free given half the chance.

Why the f*** do fans care that he had a 93 in the contract. It’s just a number. This is the stuff that just irks me beyond measure. It’s a silly thing to dislike someone over. Gilmour doesn’t hold the rights to the number 93. It’s nonsense that you would even bring that up like it matters.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Why the f*** do fans care that he had a 93 in the contract. It’s just a number. This is the stuff that just irks me beyond measure. It’s a silly thing to dislike someone over. Gilmour doesn’t hold the rights to the number 93. It’s nonsense that you would even bring that up like it matters.
Idc but I imagine it just comes across as fake, inauthentic, childish, immature. Like if Crosby said he was very superstitious so he wants to sign a 12.87 million dollar contract when he could just as easily sign an 8.7m contract without affecting his quality of life which is exactly what he did. If he really wanted to honour Douggie he could have just signed a 9.3m contract but to put it in the .93 esp when he knows the team would benefit a lot with him taking even the tiniest bit of a discount would make him come across as a brat.

I don't personally care but I can see how someone who is annoyed by it would think along these lines

Jun 27, 2005
Where are all the stats guys showing us how horrible Marner's stats are?
Top on the team for 5v5 xGF% but that's too complicated for around here.
He's been on for one goal against 5v5.
You want to blame him for guys like Bert taking stupid penalties or the PP stalling, then go ahead and be a fool.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Well I can tell you why I care...and why it's not nonsense:

First, my comment has nothing to do with Gilmour holding "rights" to the number 93 and being offended by it. I don't think it would be wise to wear 93 again in a Leaf uniform any more than it would be wise to wear 17 or 21, but it wouldn't repulse me in the way hamstringing our club's ability to furnish a competitive team the way opportunistic, expedited contracts have.

The problem isn't the number, the problem is using the number as a gesture of loyalty to the club, in order to appease the fans rightful disdain to his contentious contract negotiations and the obvious opportunistic result that demonstrates the opposite behaviour of what a team first player talks and walks like; The number cited doesn't matter. Marner could've announced in similarly prepared remarks for the media and the public at large, his admiration for Aki Berg and punctuated his tone deaf appeal with: "And that's why there's a 3 in my contract. Because I loves me some Aki Berg."

The point is obvious.

As to why I care, again obvious: Because I believe in a progression of reward based on merit that is in accord with building a championship team. And because I want what's best for the club, I ridicule and cite those examples which blatantly put the team behind personal gain.

Reactions: arso40

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Idc but I imagine it just comes across as fake, inauthentic, childish, immature. Like if Crosby said he was very superstitious so he wants to sign a 12.87 million dollar contract when he could just as easily sign an 8.7m contract without affecting his quality of life which is exactly what he did. If he really wanted to honour Douggie he could have just signed a 9.3m contract but to put it in the .93 esp when he knows the team would benefit a lot with him taking even the tiniest bit of a discount would make him come across as a brat.

I don't personally care but I can see how someone who is annoyed by it would think along these lines

He wears 93 as a tribute to his brother. Has nothing to do with Doug Gilmour. If he wants to tribute to his brother people should just seems like an odd thing to have a gripe about

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Where are all the stats guys showing us how horrible Marner's stats are?
Top on the team for 5v5 xGF% but that's too complicated for around here.
He's been on for one goal against 5v5.
You want to blame him for guys like Bert taking stupid penalties or the PP stalling, then go ahead and be a fool.
Now do him for special teams

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Well I can tell you why I care...and why it's not nonsense:

First, my comment has nothing to do with Gilmour holding "rights" to the number 93 and being offended by it. I don't think it would be wise to wear 93 again in a Leaf uniform any more than it would be wise to wear 17 or 21, but it wouldn't repulse me in the way hamstringing our club's ability to furnish a competitive team the way opportunistic, expedited contracts have.

The problem isn't the number, the problem is using the number as a gesture of loyalty to the club, in order to appease the fans rightful disdain to his contentious contract negotiations and the obvious opportunistic result that demonstrates the opposite behaviour of what a team first player talks and walks like; The number cited doesn't matter. Marner could've announced in similarly prepared remarks for the media and the public at large, his admiration for Aki Berg and punctuated his tone deaf appeal with: "And that's why there's a 3 in my contract. Because I loves me some Aki Berg."

The point is obvious.

As to why I care, again obvious: Because I believe in a progression of reward based on merit that is in accord with building a championship team. And because I want what's best for the club, I ridicule and cite those examples which blatantly put the team behind personal gain.

The number is a tribute to his brother LOL. He wore it in junior. Has nothing to do with Gilmour. Marner was born in 97/98, he probably doesn’t even remember a single Gilmour game

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
The story on Marner and #93 is Mitch was a fan of 93 growing up and Dougie knew Marner since junior… Killer even offered to let Mitch wear jersey 93 for the Leafs… Marner declined the offer.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The number is a tribute to his brother LOL. He wore it in junior. Has nothing to do with Gilmour. Marner was born in 97/98, he probably doesn’t even remember a single Gilmour game
Incorrect, Marners agent confirmed it after the contract. Remember Paul is living vicariously through Mitch. Dougie was Paul's favorite player.

Marner and the Leafs signed a six-year contract with an average annual value of $10.893 million on Friday. Ferris revealed that the final two digits of the AAV were a tribute to Leafs legend Doug Gilmour, who wore No. 93 during his days in Toronto. During his junior career with the London Knights, Marner also wore No. 93.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The story on Marner and #93 is Mitch was a fan of 93 growing up and Dougie knew Marner since junior… Killer even offered to let Mitch wear jersey 93 for the Leafs… Marner declined the offer.

Marner wears 93 because it’s the year his brother was born and because Gilmour was PAUL Marner’s favourite player. Family is the most important part of Marner’s life so the 93 is to honour his brother and father.

Marner was born in 97. Gilmour wasn’t even a leaf, he was a devil. I’m older than Marner and don’t even remember vividly Gilmour as a leaf

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Mitch had himself a tremendous game defensively, still need him to produce some goals though. I think he finally pops off hard in a game 7.

Apart from being part of an embarrassingly futile PP, I thought MM was alright. We've won the last two so I'll happily take this.

Reactions: ACC1224

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Still being a glorified defensive winger at 11M.

The only great game he's played was game 5 and that's just not good enough at his price tag. Hopefully, he can at least recreate the game 5 performance in game 7.

Even game 5 to be honest he was good, not great. He’s skilled enough to be great. Nylander was great today, that’s what we need from Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad