Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Strong disagree that Buchnevich/Schenn should never play C again. Schenn in particular struggled last year but is 1 year removed from being more than adequate. To write him off completely seems foolish IMO. If we want to keep Buch at C then a full offseason + training camp + preseason to acclimate may lead to better results. I think the chances of 1 or both of Buch/Schenn playing adequate at C next season is higher than Monahan not dealing with more injuries in the 3+ years it would likely take to sign him.

Regardless, here is my main point: "good enough" center group depends on what the goal is.

Contend for a cup? Of course not.

Content for a playoff spot? It was good enough to be close this year, may or may not be good enough to make it next year.

Insulate prospects like Dvorsky? I think it is.
Saying Schenn is adequate is silly. His defensive game has completely fallen off and now his offensive game is falling off. If you are happy going into next season with Schenn as your 2C your team is going to fail. He, and Buch, play the best as winger. Play them to their strengths. Get a 2C that compliments the wingers, Schenn as C paired with any of our top wingers does not work. If we won't our young players to flourish stop trying to force something that isn't going to work.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’d still rather get Karlsson for cheap over Duchene or Monahan. Go get a guy that’s great defensively, so we can ease some of Thomas’ minutes.

Neighbours-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad-Karlsson-Buchnevich
Bolduc-Hayes(until Dvo is ready)-Schenn
Toropchenko-Dean/UFA-Sundqvist
Walker, TBD

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Saying Schenn is adequate is silly. His defensive game has completely fallen off and now his offensive game is falling off. If you are happy going into next season with Schenn as your 2C your team is going to fail. He, and Buch, play the best as winger. Play them to their strengths. Get a 2C that compliments the wingers, Schenn as C paired with any of our top wingers does not work. If we won't our young players to flourish stop trying to force something that isn't going to work.
What constitutes failure for next season?

If we are trying to contend then we obviously need to do a hell of a lot more than sign Monahan.

If we are trying to make the playoffs, I don’t think Monahan drastically improves the chances and would rather look at better/less risky options (bigger trades/potentially other signings).

If we are trying to insulate prospects then I think we can do it without wasting the cap space.

A lot of folks say they are worried about the Blues ending up in the mushy middle of the league - too bad to contend and too good to tank. Signing Monahan seems like a move to make if we want to end up in the mushy middle.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’d still rather get Karlsson for cheap over Duchene or Monahan. Go get a guy that’s great defensively, so we can ease some of Thomas’ minutes.

Neighbours-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad-Karlsson-Buchnevich
Bolduc-Hayes(until Dvo is ready)-Schenn
Toropchenko-Dean/UFA-Sundqvist
Walker, TBD
I agree, and I want Hague in the deal as well. If we can get those two guys, I’m not sure I see a better option out there than that.

I think it could be realistic too. Vegas I think will want Korczak getting NHL minutes every night and will make room for him. I strongly believe they will move a defenseman. I don’t know if it will be Hague, Whitecloud or McNabb, but I bet one of them gets dealt.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Buch and Schenn should NEVER play down the center ever again, they are not centers at this stage of their careers, and Buch never was one in the first place. Dean is not an adequate top 9 center yet, expecting him to be is just foolish. Hayes is not a top 6 forward.

When your 2nd line center provides barely 1/2 of what your top line center and your 2nd and 3rd line centers can't even provide similar production combined you don't have a good enough center group.

I somewhat disagree with this. IF Schenn plays center on the 3rd line, I would be fine with it, but not as 2C.

IMO Schenn is top 6 winger or 3rd line center.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I agree, and I want Hague in the deal as well. If we can get those two guys, I’m not sure I see a better option out there than that.

I think it could be realistic too. Vegas I think will want Korczak getting NHL minutes every night and will make room for him. I strongly believe they will move a defenseman. I don’t know if it will be Hague, Whitecloud or McNabb, but I bet one of them gets dealt.
Hague could be available with a big raise due after next season and they still need to lock up Theodore who will also be getting a hefty raise himself. Petro and Hanifin both on the books seems to me like Hague is the odd man out and I would be all over trying to get him here.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm encouraged that Vegas is leaning hard on McNabb (22 minutes a night) and leaving Hague out of the lineup. Who knows if there is some kind of injury helping make that decision, but McNabb is playing great as their #4. McNabb cementing himself as the #4 for next year (his final year under contract) would certainly make Hague a bit more expendable than if they were disappointed in McNabb and wanted the two of them to compete for that 2nd pair job in 2024/25 (with the loser hopefully being a good bottom pair option). And if their isn't a nagging injury to Hague, then it means he has been passed on the depth chart by Hutton as well and they will for sure want to move him.

McNabb excelling while Hague is in the press box certainly increases the odds of Hague becoming a cap casualty.

Hague's stock has continued to fall, but I still really like the idea of giving him a full year audition as a #4 D man next year (a season where I don't particularly care about the standings compared to long-term growth). The playoffs so far tell me that Vegas sees him as more expendable than I initially thought.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
I'm encouraged that Vegas is leaning hard on McNabb (22 minutes a night) and leaving Hague out of the lineup. Who knows if there is some kind of injury helping make that decision, but McNabb is playing great as their #4. McNabb cementing himself as the #4 for next year (his final year under contract) would certainly make Hague a bit more expendable than if they were disappointed in McNabb and wanted the two of them to compete for that 2nd pair job in 2024/25 (with the loser hopefully being a good bottom pair option). And if their isn't a nagging injury to Hague, then it means he has been passed on the depth chart by Hutton as well and they will for sure want to move him.

McNabb excelling while Hague is in the press box certainly increases the odds of Hague becoming a cap casualty.

Hague's stock has continued to fall, but I still really like the idea of giving him a full year audition as a #4 D man next year (a season where I don't particularly care about the standings compared to long-term growth). The playoffs so far tell me that Vegas sees him as more expendable than I initially thought.
I’m not familiar with Hauge and looked him up and saw he’s 6’6 and 240lbs and still young at 25, we could use that size on our backend. How good has he been defensively historically?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I’m not familiar with Hauge and looked him up and saw he’s 6’6 and 240lbs and still young at 25, we could use that size on our backend. How good has he been defensively historically?
He's in the NHL due to his defensive play and his bomb of a shot. With that said, he has pretty limited offensive instincts and (like Parayko) has never translated the sheer power of his shot into effective scoring ability. He is a crease-clearer that is at least adequate at cutting off passing lanes and he is a good enough skater defend against the rush. He's a physical player who hits and blocks shots (over 1.5 of each per game in the last couple years).

He's not 'elite' or 'very good' defensively, but defensive play is the strength of his game. He was deployed (and effective) in a legit shutdown role during the Cup run for Vegas last season, but this year he has had worse results and Vegas has trusted him less.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Canada released its World Championship roster today. I really hope Parayko gets paired with Byram, and that it works out really well, and that we find a way to fleece the Sabres and pick him up this summer. But I’m crazy like that.

Reactions: Blueston

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Canada released its World Championship roster today. I really hope Parayko gets paired with Byram, and that it works out really well, and that we find a way to fleece the Sabres and pick him up this summer. But I’m crazy like that.
One can dream! If anything though I would imagine they would try to move Power if they move any of those dmen they have, at least IMO he sure doesn't look like he will ever live up to that #1 potential. Every time I watch a Sabres game I am always taken aback by how terrible he plays.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Some Columbus fan on the trade boards said he could see Jiricek potentially moved to fill other gaps. What do you guys think about a trade based around Jiricek and Kyrou? I know Kyrou is a touchy subject, but if a young RHD like Jiricek becomes available I hope the Blues would be all over that. Obviously it would require a pretty big piece going to Columbus, which would likely have to be Kyrou, Dvorsky, Snuggerud or someone like that.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Kyrou + Krug for Marner + low tier picks/prospects

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Kyrou + Krug for Marner + low tier picks/prospects

I’d rather keep Kyrou and buy out Krug in another year. Marner will want 11 mill per year. No friggen way. He’s a defensive and playoff liability that’s worse than Kyrou.

Some Columbus fan on the trade boards said he could see Jiricek potentially moved to fill other gaps. What do you guys think about a trade based around Jiricek and Kyrou? I know Kyrou is a touchy subject, but if a young RHD like Jiricek becomes available I hope the Blues would be all over that. Obviously it would require a pretty big piece going to Columbus, which would likely have to be Kyrou, Dvorsky, Snuggerud or someone like that.

Possible, but Dvorsky isn’t available for me.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
What is Columbus adding?

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

We need a LD, not a RD. Ya ya I know, we gotta get a replacement for Parayko 5 years down the road or what ever but if we're gonna trade Kyrou, we need to do it for an immediate need, not a future need.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
We need a LD, not a RD. Ya ya I know, we gotta get a replacement for Parayko 5 years down the road or what ever but if we're gonna trade Kyrou, we need to do it for an immediate need, not a future need.
We need a #1 D. Handedness really doesn’t matter if one is actually available. Nobody here seemed to complain when we had Petro and Parayko down the right side. It would be the same kind to situation again if we could find one.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

I really doubt Jiricek is available, but if so I'd deal any of those 3. Ideally Snuggy IMO. Can't see them dealing controlled Jiricek for Kyrou's AAV.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
We need a #1 D. Handedness really doesn’t matter if one is actually available. Nobody here seemed to complain when we had Petro and Parayko down the right side. It would be the same kind to situation again if we could find one.

No one complained because our left side was not a black hole of shit like it is now.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
We seem to have different recollections of the past as I recall people pining for there to be better options for LHD while Shattenkirk was still on the roster.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
No one complained because our left side was not a black hole of shit like it is now.

Was it any better though?

Bouwmeester was a pretty big whipping boy until the playoff run.

Dunn was pretty similar to Krug to be honest.

And I’d imagine Leddys play is pretty on par with what you got from Gunnarsson.

You can afford to have Parayko in a shut down role with a guy like Leddy if you have a top pair that can at least handle some top competition and produce positive results.

I don’t think you can consider Jiricek in a similar manner to Pietrangelo, but you can at least see a pathway there and get rid of the Faulk Krug pairing as a pair that’s relied upon to eat a decent amount of minutes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad