Denmark: Danes in the NHL 2013-14

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Though really bad news for Nicklas Jensen. Hope he is soon ready again and doesn't end with recurrent shoulder problems like Peter Regin.

Eller had some chronic shoulder problems too. That is, until surgery fixed the problem 100%. Jensen looked really bad in pre-season, then he was demoted to the AHL and then it was revealed he was injured... Here's hoping it was the injury that held him back in pre-season.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Goals for Frans Nielsen and Lars Eller(Sort of) last night. Mikkel Bødker tonight.

Last year 8 Danes combined for 35 goals in 265 games(0,13 gpg). So far this year 5 Danes have combined for 12 goals in 27 games(0,44 gpg). Goes to show how streaky these things can be.

Yeah so we have to enjoy their streak right now :handclap: But what an improvement since last year, so far.
Good Frans Nielsen goal by the way!

Lars Eller's "goal" was simply amazing. Luongo deflecting the pucks on both skates and in the net.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9XSBQ3p6MU

So then we can discuss whether this own goal or Oliver Lauridsen's "first NHL goal" (where Chara puts it into his own net) is the "worst"?!
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAOsavrOQgw

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Eller had some chronic shoulder problems too. That is, until surgery fixed the problem 100%. Jensen looked really bad in pre-season, then he was demoted to the AHL and then it was revealed he was injured... Here's hoping it was the injury that held him back in pre-season.

Also hoping that the injury didn't get aggravated by being undiscovered for some time.
Anyone knows if Jensen needs surgery or just resting time?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Could you translate the point of the joke('Cause I sence one but I'm just hearing gibberish/french :laugh: ) ?

Sorry mate..

Not from French Canada, and my father as an ethnical Englishman, has a big antipathy towards French :D

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Sorry mate..

Not from French Canada, and my father as an ethnical Englishman, has a big antipathy towards French :D

Yeah I have heard that from a lot of English Canadians, and even the French laugh at the Québécois as well - mostly for the way they talk.

Actually though Québécois is a genuine urban 1700-hundreds way of speaking French - it was actually refined and not peasant like or backwards as mainland French thinks today (it's the mainland French language, that has change!).

Acadian spoken in Quebec, New Brunswick & Louisiana (Cajun) should have a more rural origin. [Cajun French is not the same as Louisiana Creole].

The Moroccan French comedian Gad Elmaleh have lived in Canada and here is a joke with how French Canadian speaks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKZz02X7bKk
So even if you don't understand French you can clearly hear that it's different (though very exaggerated here).

PS: As far as I understand the commercial it is about the different kind of people that frequent the 52 Pubs "La Cage aux Sports" in Quebec. The last group in the clip is the groupie-fans - of Lars Eller! (luckily not the "naive group" mentioned earlier).

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Anyways it was another productive night for the Danish players.
Frans Nielsen scored an excellent goal for Islanders, but missed his penalty shootout again (7 in a row now).
Both Jannik Hansen and Mikkel Bødker got 1 assists.
Regin and Eller were without points.

So we have both Lars Eller and Frans Nielsen in the top 35 of production in NHL with 7 points.....
Comparably 5 Swedes (Sedin-twins, Bäckström, Zetterberg & Steen) and 0 Finns, so quite an achievement.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Eller's back on the EGG-line with Gallagher and Galchenyuk. On the depth chart they're the third line but no forward besides Prust(due to heavy BP-time) had more time than Eller last night and looking at the numbers it looks like a 2A/2B/2C-line situation to say the least :)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Eller's back on the EGG-line with Gallagher and Galchenyuk. On the depth chart they're the third line but no forward besides Prust(due to heavy BP-time) had more time than Eller last night and looking at the numbers it looks like a 2A/2B/2C-line situation to say the least :)

I would say the Eller and Plekanec lines are the clear top 2 lines right now. Comparable ice time. Eller and the kids were used to protect the lead with a minute left after Plekanec scored.

As for the commercial, it's for a popular restaurant that is all about sports. There's no joke other than try to drive home the point that in presence of an actual Hab people are in awe.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
It was a no-point Danish night......but at least all the "Danish" teams won their matches.
So no succes for Eller even when back on the ElGee's line.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
No point for Mikkel Bødker either and he also missed his penalty shotout when Phoenix lost to Anaheim.

Talking of Anaheim - with a lower-body injury to Viktor Fasth then Frederik Andersen has been called up by Anaheim; but it's unlikely he will get any chance, since it seems Fasth's injury is short term (day-today).

So when the Danes don't produce in NHL we can otherwise look to the Danes in the NA junior leagues:
Oliver Bjørkstrand with 1G 0A
Nikolaj Ehlers with 2G 2A and a 5 min penalty!
Patrick Russel with 1G 0A.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Finally some Danish points again:

Frans Nielsen scored 1G in the Islanders 3-4 loss to Carolina.
Mikkel Bødker got 2 assists in the Phoenix 5-2 win over Detroit.
Lars Eller with 1 assist in the Montreal 1-2 defeat to Nashville.

No points for Jannik Hansen (though he had 5 shots on goal) and Peter Regin.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Pro tip for you Danes: Jyllands Posten is doing a series of interviews with the Danes in NHL sunday after sunday. The interviews is done by a good friend of mine and while he's not a hockey freak he does some quality stuff. The series started of with Frans Nielsen last sunday and had Peter Regin on today. Bødker's up next sunday. Try to get a hold of it or if you got JP-premium you can read it online. It's top notch sports journalism :)

The Regin-piece describes a scene after the Senators-Penguins series(I'm guessing) where Erik Karlsson and Peter Regin gets called up to meet with the Ottawa management. They're told that Ottawa was gonna build their team around those two. That obviously never happened.

Two years of injuries later he's trying to rebuild a hockey-identity(Because... you know the whole being a star-thing was kinda out of the window). Reading a bit into the quotes it sounds like he hasn't quite build that identity yet although he's getting there. This might be a blow to all those hoping to the see the "old" Regin out there. It's a "new" Regin trying to prove he's NHL-material :)

LINK: http://www.jyllands-posten.dk/prote...8010/jeg-troede-at-jeg-skulle-vaere-stjernen/

EDIT: Oh and Justinov you can add Andre Pison to the impressive list in the OP. He's moved on from Minnesota to Wenatchee Wilds(Try sayin' that 10 times drunk) in the NAHL.

Last edited:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
A shutout of sorts for Andersen in his NHL debut. :handclap: Here's hoping he can force the hands of Anaheim's GM Bob Murray to start clearing away some of the goalie logjam.

EDIT: 24 saves in 40 minutes and looking solid as ever doing it.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Talking of Anaheim - with a lower-body injury to Viktor Fasth then Frederik Andersen has been called up by Anaheim; but it's unlikely he will get any chance, since it seems Fasth's injury is short term (day-today).

Oh happy to be wrong here. Frederik Andersen did get the chance in the second and third period after at Jonas Hiller was pulled from the goal after the first period and Anaheim was behind 1-3.

Frederik Andersen kept a clean sheet and saved all 24 shots where 11 of them was from power play - Anaheim won 6-3. So a fantastic debut :handclap: and pretty weird that he wasn't selected aong the three stars of the game...
By the way it was the first time in NHL since 2005 that both teams on the ice fielding a debuting goalie.

Anaheim has a real goalie galore with Jonas Hiller, Viktor Fasth and now Frederik Andersen and with the superprospect John Gibson in the AHL.

Otherwise Vancouver lost 3-1 to Columbus and yet again Jannik Hansen was without any points.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Pro tip for you Danes: Jyllands Posten is doing a series of interviews with the Danes in NHL sunday after sunday. The interviews is done by a good friend of mine and while he's not a hockey freak he does some quality stuff. The series started of with Frans Nielsen last sunday and had Peter Regin on today. Bødker's up next sunday. Try to get a hold of it or if you got JP-premium you can read it online. It's top notch sports journalism :)

EDIT: Oh and Justinov you can add Andre Pison to the impressive list in the OP. He's moved on from Minnesota to Wenatchee Wilds(Try sayin' that 10 times drunk) in the NAHL.

I managed to read the Frans Nielsen article, but didn't get it would be part of a series. Missed the Regin piece though, so nice with your little summery of it.
So your friend though not being a hockey fan has shown himself to be a good journalist, which is getting rare these days!

NB: Thanks for the hint, Bank.
André Pison, Christian Elsborg and Christ Hjort added to the opening page!

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
So your friend though not being a hockey fan has shown himself to be a good journalist, which is getting rare these days!

Easy now - guess where I know him from ;) :)

Gonna open the box of Frederik Andersens future in here instead of the name-thread. It's interesting to see how Anaheim resolves their goalie situation. They have two NHL-goalies, a somewhat young goalie ready to back-up and a super talented goalie prospect that continues to move his ETA in the NHL closer and closer.

Until John Gibson's shown something in the AHL it's not a four-way-decision but if Frederik Andersen wants to show other NHL teams something in the big leagues he may have a limited time to do it in.

Great to see that he got at least 40 minutes and a good showing(Even if it seems Dallas didn't do a whole lot to test him) in the books.

It seems like Anaheim are gonna be a play-off team(perhaps even a contender) this year which would keep them from trading one of their two "starters". But if Anaheim are looking to maximize their assets, do they shoot of a goalie - either Hiller with some minor health concerns and a pending UFA-situation or Fasth with the small sample size and high stock - in a trade for a key piece somewhere else on the team? If they think they're THAT piece from being a serious contender and Frederik Andersens is reliable enough.

A) Who would that be? Philladelphia, Buffalo(If they trade Miller), Edmonton and Winnipeg could use a goalie. But does Edmonton have a asset that fits the bill of Fasth or Hiller? Nah. Buffalo? A rental Vanek perhaps? Philladelphia? Schenn or Coburn perhaps? Enstrom/Buff in Winnipeg? A team taking on a established goalie would have to be retooling and not rebuilding. It's hard to see a fit.

B) It would be a gamble for Anaheim. They'd leave a safe position of having two goalies to play in the playoffs to a gamble that one stays healthy or their plan to become serious contenders goes somewhat bye bye.

C) Goalies don't usually make good deadline bates.

So it seems we won't be any wiser until this summer where Frederik Andersen(RFA) is up for a new contract and Jonas Hiller is a UFA. Fasth is a UFA i 2015 and John Gibson a RFA in 2016.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Easy now - guess where I know him from ;) :)

Gonna open the box of Frederik Andersens future in here instead of the name-thread. It's interesting to see how Anaheim resolves their goalie situation. They have two NHL-goalies, a somewhat young goalie ready to back-up and a super talented goalie prospect that continues to move his ETA in the NHL closer and closer.

Until John Gibson's shown something in the AHL it's not a four-way-decision but if Frederik Andersen wants to show other NHL teams something in the big leagues he may have a limited time to do it in.

Great to see that he got at least 40 minutes and a good showing(Even if it seems Dallas didn't do a whole lot to test him) in the books.

It seems like Anaheim are gonna be a play-off team(perhaps even a contender) this year which would keep them from trading one of their two "starters". But if Anaheim are looking to maximize their assets, do they shoot of a goalie - either Hiller with some minor health concerns and a pending UFA-situation or Fasth with the small sample size and high stock - in a trade for a key piece somewhere else on the team? If they think they're THAT piece from being a serious contender and Frederik Andersens is reliable enough.

A) Who would that be? Philladelphia, Buffalo(If they trade Miller), Edmonton and Winnipeg could use a goalie. But does Edmonton have a asset that fits the bill of Fasth or Hiller? Nah. Buffalo? A rental Vanek perhaps? Philladelphia? Schenn or Coburn perhaps? Enstrom/Buff in Winnipeg? A team taking on a established goalie would have to be retooling and not rebuilding. It's hard to see a fit.

B) It would be a gamble for Anaheim. They'd leave a safe position of having two goalies to play in the playoffs to a gamble that one stays healthy or their plan to become serious contenders goes somewhat bye bye.

C) Goalies don't usually make good deadline bates.

So it seems we won't be any wiser until this summer where Frederik Andersen(RFA) is up for a new contract and Jonas Hiller is a UFA. Fasth is a UFA i 2015 and John Gibson a RFA in 2016.

Don't worry I'm not on a crusades against journalists :laugh:
My point is that journalists have a hard time finding jobs, because of the easy access for most people to free/cheap news. So many places they just hire people to copy-paste-translate from Reuters or AP (and that is bad journalism, but often you have no choice).
So that's why good journalism is becoming rare.

About Andersen I think you are right. He won't get many chances so he really has to grab them.
I think Islanders have some imminent goalie problem (Nabokov getting old but still OK this season so far and their prospects are not really shining), so either Hiller or Fasth would probably make Islanders interested. That could make Frederik Andersen a possible backup for Anaheim, while they wait for Gibson.
Islanders will try for Hiller when he is UFA, but they are not a cash heavy team, so maybe they want to offer Anaheim something while they can still get something for him?

But I think Anaheim would likely extend with Hiller until they are more sure about Fasth or Fr.Ands. Anaheim would probably more likely let Fasth go - Islanders could still use him in tandem with Nabokov.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Don't worry I'm not on a crusades against journalists :laugh:
My point is that journalists have a hard time finding jobs, because of the easy access for most people to free/cheap news. So many places they just hire people to copy-paste-translate from Reuters or AP (and that is bad journalism, but often you have no choice).
So that's why good journalism is becoming rare.

About Andersen I think you are right. He won't get many chances so he really has to grab them.
I think Islanders have some imminent goalie problem (Nabokov getting old but still OK this season so far and their prospects are not really shining), so either Hiller or Fasth would probably make Islanders interested. That could make Frederik Andersen a possible backup for Anaheim, while they wait for Gibson.
Islanders will try for Hiller when he is UFA, but they are not a cash heavy team, so maybe they want to offer Anaheim something while they can still get something for him?

But I think Anaheim would likely extend with Hiller until they are more sure about Fasth or Fr.Ands. Anaheim would probably more likely let Fasth go - Islanders could still use him in tandem with Nabokov.

Amen brother. The biggest complaint internal in the business is nobody knows how to produce quality journalism in today's 24/7-newsstream.

Islanders is a possibility but how would go the other way? It's not a team swimming with vets to send away(Besides Nabakov himself). And they look like they might make play-off run them self and besides Pierre-Marc Bouchard(Thanks to Regin :naughty: ) nobody seems redundant.

Nabokov is not looking fantastic right now against Vancouver. First 20 in the books and all three Danes has a primary assist and Frans has drawn the only penalty - where he helped execute the following PP.

EDIT: Frans made it a 1+2 night. He's off to a flying start this year!

Last edited:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Impressive the way Frans is producing at the moment.

I really hope Bødker gets to stay on a line with Ribeiro. And if he could work his way on to the Coyotes top PP, Bødker could be having a real breakout year. Ribeiro is a top setup man in the league and the two seem to have very good chemistry already.

As for Hansen, here's to a speedy recovery. I think, in last night's game, he looked like his old self for the first time this season. In previous games he has looked a bit tentative, probably from having to adjust to Torts' system. And then he goes hard to the net and crashes into the boards... :help: And no penalty on the play, even though it sure looked like a hook...

Regin looks like he will be a useful player on the Island, although, as a Canuck fan, I gotta say it looked like a bit of a dive on the penalty he drew with about 4 mins left in regulation. In fact, that game was pure textbook if you want to know why Canucks fans are frustrated with the refereeing. The Sedins get called for the tiniest infractions and just about anything goes the other way around... :shakehead

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Amen brother. The biggest complaint internal in the business is nobody knows how to produce quality journalism in today's 24/7-newsstream.

Islanders is a possibility but how would go the other way? It's not a team swimming with vets to send away(Besides Nabakov himself). And they look like they might make play-off run them self and besides Pierre-Marc Bouchard(Thanks to Regin :naughty: ) nobody seems redundant.

Nabokov is not looking fantastic right now against Vancouver. First 20 in the books and all three Danes has a primary assist and Frans has drawn the only penalty - where he helped execute the following PP.

EDIT: Frans made it a 1+2 night. He's off to a flying start this year!

Yep - Journalism has devolved into being a show - the attention often being more on the person delivering the news - than actually being about giving correct facts and indepth analysis; or the cheap mindless copying from news bureau's to save money because they think that normal people doesn't care anyway. So all those that had the know-how are either retired or unemployed with a few exceptions.

Otherwise you are right than Islanders don't have a lot of vets to offer Anaheim (and they won't likely give up their prized prospects like Strome for a goalie, or ????).
It would have to be something like the Halak-Eller trade to make interest for Anaheim?!
Sad that besides PM Bouchard, Regin also get a lot of bad press on the Islanders board. [Maybe it's just because he "stole" Strome's spot on the roster].
But Frans Nielsen have had a fantastic start (except for his shotout slump) - hopefully he can rub something off to Regin.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I really hope Bødker gets to stay on a line with Ribeiro. And if he could work his way on to the Coyotes top PP, Bødker could be having a real breakout year. Ribeiro is a top setup man in the league and the two seem to have very good chemistry already.

As for Hansen, here's to a speedy recovery. I think, in last night's game, he looked like his old self for the first time this season. In previous games he has looked a bit tentative, probably from having to adjust to Torts' system. And then he goes hard to the net and crashes into the boards... :help: And no penalty on the play, even though it sure looked like a hook...

Regin looks like he will be a useful player on the Island, although, as a Canuck fan, I gotta say it looked like a bit of a dive on the penalty he drew with about 4 mins left in regulation. In fact, that game was pure textbook if you want to know why Canucks fans are frustrated with the refereeing. The Sedins get called for the tiniest infractions and just about anything goes the other way around... :shakehead

Also hope Bødker gets it going. He still have trouble scoring like last season in NHL.
Hansen got injured at a point where his production wasn't that impressive, so really bad luck that he just seem to find his old game and then is out.
Regin seem to be OK as a 3'rd line center defensively, but he will have to produce more to keep Strome away from the line up. Tavares-Nielsen-Strome-Cizikas will be the line up at some point - latest next year - and likely earlier, unless Regin really begins to show some more.
Maybe Regin could work as a wing to keep him in the roster instead of Bouchard?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad