Denmark: Danes in the NHL 2013-14

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Soooo... Training Camps almost up. The impressions I've got was:

The good:

Mikkel Boedker: Looks like he'll be on line with Mike Ribeiro and Shane Doan. I'm very pumped about this.

Jannik Hansen: Has gotten good reviews and a new sweatheart contract. An absolute favorite of mine and this summer has been good reading on his front :)

Peter Regin: Looks like he got a spot as a 3C on the Islanders. Good on him. Some big wingers on his sides - some potential if him and Clutterbuck can get some chemistry.

Oliver Lauridsen - Looks like he wasn't just the last guy on the AHL-team for Philly. They see some NHL-potential in him. Somewhat good news.

The meh:

Lars Eller: Looks like he'll continue on line with Gally x 2. Should be good.

Frans Nielsen: Same/same

Frederik Andersen: Still stuck behind Fasth and Hiller. Did fine but so did Gibson so... meh.

Markus Lauridsen: Got a cup of coffee with the Avanlanche. So I guess that's something.

The bad:

Philip Larsen: Just got waived. Hasn't cleared while I'm writing this so everything's up in the air but I'm still dodgy on that trade to Edmonton.

Nicklas Jensen: Seems to have had a "bad" camp. Off to the AHL to light some fire on his NA-career the next years.

So all in all a good training camp for the key Danes. No injuries, good lines and a single waive. I'm gonna guess Mikkel Boedkers pre-season is going to be the one with most impact on the positive side. Philip Larsen on the bad side clearly.

Agree with most of your post, though I would personally upgrade Eller from the "meh" to the "good". That he will keep the line with Galchenyuk and Gallagher is really good news especially in light of his bad injury last playoff.

I'm very surprised that Edmonton waived Philip Larsen. He had shown good stuff during the pre-season and many fans were considering him as a good contender for a 6-7 D-spot.
Hope he can get as lucky as Regin in finding some NHL club that still want to bet on him.
Also what is wrong with Niklas Jensen lately.....he seems to have stagnated the last ½ year. Really hope he can turn it around in AHL.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Real hometown-discount contract. Builds to the image as a team-first-kinda-guy. Although knowing that he properly has to live of the money he makes now for the most of his life you could wish for him to get a little more.

Well both with Frans Nielsen, Mikkel Bødker and Jannik Hansen contracts seems to point to a general trend.
We are OK being paid less than we are worth if we can get longer job security on our beloved team.
So that might make it easier for other Danes to enter the NHL because:
1) We are known to be cheap.
2) We are known to be loyal team-players and want long contracts.
3) We (generally?) don't complain even when playing on lines or pairs more down the system.

So for building a team base, danish players are trending on being every coach dream for starting 3'rd line plugs that can be used everywhere if they pan out.
But with this kind of attitude most danish players certainly have more chance to enter the NHL than a top6 or bust type.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Agree with most of your post, though I would personally upgrade Eller from the "meh" to the "good". That he will keep the line with Galchenyuk and Gallagher is really good news especially in light of his bad injury last playoff.

I'm very surprised that Edmonton waived Philip Larsen. He had shown good stuff during the pre-season and many fans were considering him as a good contender for a 6-7 D-spot.
Hope he can get as lucky as Regin in finding some NHL club that still want to bet on him.
Also what is wrong with Niklas Jensen lately.....he seems to have stagnated the last ½ year. Really hope he can turn it around in AHL.

I think I saw him in the highlight real against Dallas where he seemed to have the same problems as last season. Bad positioning and not enough muscle to make up for it. Not so surprised that he's waived - it's the people he's lost to. Corey Potter. I admit I've haven't seen him a whole lot but the times I have he's not been good. That Grebskyshicksyhekviskkow-guy is somewhat the same type of player but I believe he's LHD where as Philip Larsen is RHD so that could some of the reason.

Following the trend of my post from late last season I'll put Philip Larsen ahead of Peter Regin in the race back to Sweden :D He's just not gonna get a NHL-career before he fixes his shortcomings IMO. Then he can have all the passing and rushing potential he wants.

I wouldn't mind if Boedker, Frans Nielsen and Jannik Hansen(or Eller for that sake) is the image of a Danish player :)

Yeah considered put Eller from meh to good but I though since status quo was the best to point out he might as well just get a meh. Very exited about his season though :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I think I saw him in the highlight real against Dallas where he seemed to have the same problems as last season. Bad positioning and not enough muscle to make up for it. Not so surprised that he's waived - it's the people he's lost to. Corey Potter. I admit I've haven't seen him a whole lot but the times I have he's not been good. That Grebskyshicksyhekviskkow-guy is somewhat the same type of player but I believe he's LHD where as Philip Larsen is RHD so that could some of the reason.

Following the trend of my post from late last season I'll put Philip Larsen ahead of Peter Regin in the race back to Sweden :D He's just not gonna get a NHL-career before he fixes his shortcomings IMO. Then he can have all the passing and rushing potential he wants.

I wouldn't mind if Boedker, Frans Nielsen and Jannik Hansen(or Eller for that sake) is the image of a Danish player :)

Yeah considered put Eller from meh to good but I though since status quo was the best to point out he might as well just get a meh. Very exited about his season though :)

OK, so you don't think any team would claim Philip Larsen. So maybe back to Sweden or KHL? Alternatively he made a name for himself in Finland last year during the lockout, so he probably has a lot of alternatives to AHL if he wants to avoid that.
Finland and KHL could be combined in Jokerit next season, if he wanted to join Hardt.

I would also include Eller so we have these four as the image of a "standard danish NHL player".
Really hope that Regin can grab this opportunity with the Islanders....and "join the club" instead of surviving on short-tern contracts.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
OK, so you don't think any team would claim Philip Larsen.

Well he had cleared by the time of my post so easy point for me - but I'll take it :laugh:

So maybe back to Sweden or KHL? Alternatively he made a name for himself in Finland last year during the lockout, so he probably has a lot of alternatives to AHL if he wants to avoid that.
Finland and KHL could be combined in Jokerit next season, if he wanted to join Hardt.

I'm not as high on the going-home as some others here. Don't think he's considering it this season. Wonder what he's thinking for next year. I hope he stays in Oklahoma(Remember he had a good time with the Texas Stars not many years ago. He's done well in the AHL before) and grinds his way back into the league. As seen on the NT he's NHL-caliber D-man when he's on his game.

But I get that some here would like have him play at hours where you can stay awake without having to be a bat :laugh:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Phoenix fun fact of the day: No one has put up a PPG(With a considerable number of games played) since Ladislav Nagy in 2005/06 had 56 points in 51 games. That's like 8 years ago. Wow.

Markus Lauridsen fun fact of the day: He scored a PP-goal in a pre-season game for Lake Erie against Grand Rapids(Detroits affiliate and the reigning AHL champs I think). LINK: http://lakeeriemonsters.com/news/news/?article_id=2091

Last edited:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Well both with Frans Nielsen, Mikkel Bødker and Jannik Hansen contracts seems to point to a general trend.
We are OK being paid less than we are worth if we can get longer job security on our beloved team.
So that might make it easier for other Danes to enter the NHL because:
1) We are known to be cheap.
2) We are known to be loyal team-players and want long contracts.
3) We (generally?) don't complain even when playing on lines or pairs more down the system.

So for building a team base, danish players are trending on being every coach dream for starting 3'rd line plugs that can be used everywhere if they pan out.
But with this kind of attitude most danish players certainly have more chance to enter the NHL than a top6 or bust type.

Good observations.

Another thing to consider is that for Danish players on the cusp of making it in the NHL, going home is not really an option. They may consider the KHL or even the DEL or SEL - which would certainly be closer to home - but playing in the Danish league is out of the question unless it's a retirement gig. For most other European NHL'ers, playing in their home country is a legitimate fallback option, if making it to the NHL turns out to to be harder and take longer time than one might have hoped.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Real hometown-discount contract. Builds to the image as a team-first-kinda-guy. Although knowing that he properly has to live of the money he makes now for the most of his life you could wish for him to get a little more.

Since I doubt he's leading an extravagant lifestyle, I think he'll be able to live off of the money he makes with this contract. Besides, he should have at least one more contract after this one.

On a related note: I wonder if he was studying for any particular career before turning pro, just like Selänne was a kindergarten teacher. He just might have something to fall back on. :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well he had cleared by the time of my post so easy point for me - but I'll take it :laugh:

I'm not as high on the going-home as some others here. Don't think he's considering it this season. Wonder what he's thinking for next year. I hope he stays in Oklahoma(Remember he had a good time with the Texas Stars not many years ago. He's done well in the AHL before) and grinds his way back into the league. As seen on the NT he's NHL-caliber D-man when he's on his game.

Well from what I read I'm certain you had the feeling nobody would claim him. :laugh:
So lets hope he can get some PP time for Oklahoma City Barons in the AHL and so impresses that he has brought back into the fold.
You are right he has been smashing for the NT, but then it has also been on big ice.......

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Another thing to consider is that for Danish players on the cusp of making it in the NHL, going home is not really an option. They may consider the KHL or even the DEL or SEL - which would certainly be closer to home - but playing in the Danish league is out of the question unless it's a retirement gig. For most other European NHL'ers, playing in their home country is a legitimate fallback option, if making it to the NHL turns out to to be harder and take longer time than one might have hoped.

You are right that playing in Denmark is not an option unless you are semi-retired; but for many danish players Sweden is their "second home", and if you are from the Copenhagen area, then Malmø is only ½ an hour away :laugh: (they just have to be back in SHL for them to be a real "come-home" option)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
With Ryan Strome going to Bridgeport in the AHL for starters at least, it seems very likely that Peter Regin will begin as 3'rd line center for NY Islanders.
It seems he will contend with Brock Nelson for that spot and either of them could be move to a wing position......
When Strome is ready Regin would probably anyway have to look for a wing position?!
When Clutterbuck comes back from injury it will be a real battle to stay in the top9...

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Since I doubt he's leading an extravagant lifestyle, I think he'll be able to live off of the money he makes with this contract. Besides, he should have at least one more contract after this one.

On a related note: I wonder if he was studying for any particular career before turning pro, just like Selänne was a kindergarten teacher. He just might have something to fall back on. :)

Yeah no biggie when you're in the NHL you get your share - but there's always the "what if"-hit only one game away from putting you into retirement so I would have though any less of him had he demanded 1 mill. more :)

Lars Eller opens up the NHL tonight with the Montreal Canadians against Toronto Maple Leafs. What a treat for hockey fans. Here's to Eller deeking Phil Kessels 64 million dollar ass and getting on the score board early on! ;)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Eller leads the league in scoring! :laugh:

Fantastic start for the Montreal's 3'rd line Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher.
Eller with 2G 1A.
Galchenyuk with 0G 2A.
Gallagher with 1G 0A.

So good that Eller came back from injury and kept his place in the lineup.
Eller's lead in scoring was short lived since Grabowski of all people made a hattrick and 1 assist for Washington [and so many people in Toronto questioned him last season - what a comeback!]

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Lars Eller owes me half a nights sleep! :rant: Jeebuz a first period he played! Welcome to the new NHL-season.

Gonna be exciting to see if the new goalie pads and other adjustment the NHL has made are causing more goals to scored or if it's just some defensive rust that needs to clear the system.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yeah, watched the whole game... Eller was Boss..

Still a mystery that DD get's more PP and more general TOI..

He is so strong on the puck, saw him defend with one hand, and pull penalties by screaning with one hand and stickhandling with the other..

Ohh and he was good in his own end too :D

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Yeah, watched the whole game... Eller was Boss..

Still a mystery that DD get's more PP and more general TOI..

He is so strong on the puck, saw him defend with one hand, and pull penalties by screaning with one hand and stickhandling with the other..

Ohh and he was good in his own end too :D

Isn't he the one blocking the passing lane on Raymonds goal? He's all over the highlight reel.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Isn't he the one blocking the passing lane on Raymonds goal? He's all over the highlight reel.

Yeah, that was him :) Unfortunately Raymond got hold of the rebound himself on an otherwise good defensive play by Eller.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Lars Eller owes me half a nights sleep! :rant: Jeebuz a first period he played! Welcome to the new NHL-season.

Gonna be exciting to see if the new goalie pads and other adjustment the NHL has made are causing more goals to scored or if it's just some defensive rust that needs to clear the system.

I guess he can pay it back by playing as well next time... :laugh:
So if the Danes really rocks this season you are in danger of dying of sleep deprivation :sarcasm:

What are the changes with the goalie pads; haven't really checked up on it at all?

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I guess he can pay it back by playing as well next time... :laugh:
So if the Danes really rocks this season you are in danger of dying of sleep deprivation :sarcasm:

What are the changes with the goalie pads; haven't really checked up on it at all?

He's gonna owe a couple of semesters with this kinda play. Had he played in on an American team I'd sue him for damaged(A lost career) :sarcasm:

Haven't really either but something with the pads being smaller, more room behind the nets and properly something more.

Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680812

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
He's gonna owe a couple of semesters with this kinda play. Had he played in on an American team I'd sue him for damaged(A lost career) :sarcasm:

Haven't really either but something with the pads being smaller, more room behind the nets and properly something more.

Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680812

Coach: "You are late for practice again and arrive tired"
Bank: "It's Lars Eller's fault, he is just so damn good he keeps up all night" or if you are cheeky "I'm practicing my bat echo-localization".

Yep to bad he plays in Canada then - no money back for spilling hot coffee in your own lap while watching NHL :laugh:

Anyways thanks for the link. Seems it's only a minor leg pad correction (~2 inches shorter on each leg pad). Anyways maybe in the future they could downsize the catching gloves a bit as well - they are pretty huge, like if you were going fishing :laugh:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Coach: "You are late for practice again and arrive tired"
Bank: "It's Lars Eller's fault, he is just so damn good he keeps up all night" or if you are cheeky "I'm practicing my bat echo-localization".

Yep to bad he plays in Canada then - no money back for spilling hot coffee in your own lap while watching NHL :laugh:

Anyways thanks for the link. Seems it's only a minor leg pad correction (~2 inches shorter on each leg pad). Anyways maybe in the future they could downsize the catching gloves a bit as well - they are pretty huge, like if you were going fishing :laugh:

Not a lot of hockey fans among my professors so I think I'll get some funny looks with either those :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
No production from either Jannik Hansen or Mikkel Bødker in their first match for Vancouver and Phoenix.
Jannik Hansen was even -2 so his line has not really turned the defense on yet...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Good start by Frans Nielsen.
He got a "danish backhand of judgement" goal and was +2, but missed his penalty in the shootout, but Islanders won anyway.
Otherwise it was an alpine battle where Austrian Michael Grabner 2G 1A won slightly over Swiss Damian Brunner 2G and Nabokov won the veteran goalie match against Brodeur.
Peter Regin played almost 15 min, no points and was -1.
Apparently there are pretty wildly diverging opinions about Regin's play from Islanders fans - but it could be that some see him as stealing the Strome-seat on the roster.

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Goal from Philip Larsen in his first game with the Oklahoma City Barons on a 4-on-4 play. Paired with Brendon Davidsson on the second pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad