Denmark: Danes in the NHL 2013-14

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Since our former thread had reached 800 posts I thought it would be fitting to create a new one for this coming season.

So it looks we will have 6 starters on the NHL rosters:
Frans Nielsen & Peter Regin for New York Islanders.
Jannik Hansen for Vancouver Canucks.
Lars Eller for Montreal Canadiens.
Philip Larsen for Edmonton Oilers -> so far not played in NHL this season.
Mikkel Bødker for Phoenix Coyotes.

We have 4 in the AHL:
Frederik Andersen for Norfolk Admirals. -> Got his debut in NHL
Oliver Lauridsen for Adirondack Phantoms.
Markus Lauridsen for Lake Eirie Monsters.
Nicklas Jensen for Utica Comets.

Danes all over the prospect leagues of North America:

In the WHL:
Oliver Bjørkstrand for Portland Winterhawks.
Mads Eller for Edmonton Oil Kings.

In the QMJHL:
Nikolaj Ehlers for Halifax Mooseheads.
(Ex-dane, now Swede) Nick Sørensen for Quebec Ramparts.

In the NAHL:
Andreas Bender for Brookings Blizzard
Twins Martin Højbjerg & Mikkel Højbjerg for Corpus Christi IceRays.
Yannick Vedel for Fairbanks Ice Dogs.
André Pison for Wenatchee Wild.

In the USHL:
Patrick Russell for Muskegon Lumberjacks.

In the NCAA:
Niels-Erik Ravn for Lake Superior State University.

IN the EHL:
Christian Elsborg for Valley Jr. Warriors.

In the NA3HL:
Ludvig Adamsen for Breezy Point North Stars.
Christ Hjort for Breezy Point North Stars.

So it will be interesting when the season unfolds how many Danish NHL players we will get. Last season 8 players saw NHL time on the ice, so lets hope we can do better this season.

Last edited:

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
Of the better prospect leagues in NA:
In the WHL:
Oliver Bjørkstrand for Portland Winterhawks.
Mads Eller for Edmonton Oil Kings.

In the QMJHL:
Nikolaj Ehlers for Halifax Mooseheads.
(Ex-dane now Swede) Nick Sørensen for Quebec Ramparts.

Canada isn't part of North America? :P

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Is it time already.....? JK, the wait has been horrendous! :D Happy to see that we are picking up again :D

Im going to make a long post, just to get started, so bare with me people.
My fingers are itching to write about hockey again :handclap::yo::nod:

Im going to give my 2 cents on all the players starting with our big boys.

Frans Nielsen:

Franzie has so far been our best player in the NHL with tight competition from Jannik Hansen.

It is unclear were Frans is going to start the year, but it looks like top 6 duties again.

It seemed to me that Frans had stagnated a bit last season, but he has been solid and still is. And I still think he is capable of breaking the 50 point mark.

Predictions:

Frans Nielsen - 82gp and 42pts and +2

Peter Regin

I am almost certain this is Peters' last season in the NHL.

I really like Peter, but so much has gone wrong and he really needs to step up for NYI. Personally I don't think Regin will get much more than 3rd/4th line duties and we all know he does not work there.

Predictions:

Peter Regin - 40gp and 9pts and -7

Philip Larsen

Again Phil is a big unknown to me.. The times I have watched him, he has been awesome. Yet again everytime I don't watch him, he apparently sucks.

I think this move to a bigger club in a more hockey-crazed part of NA is a good move for Larsen. I doubt he will see a lot of games but, he will get a chance to proove himself by getting a chance at top pairing and pp.

Predictions:

35gp and 7pts and -2

Jannik Hansen

Jannik is solid, I believe he is capable of more, but with a lot of new young guns the time is going to be spread a little more.

He is a big part of Vancity and is a go-to guy both on and off the ice.

Jannik had a good shortened season, but Van have dissapointed. If Van get their act together Jannik will hit his 50 imo. If not, he will struggle to do so.

Predictions:

82gp and 47pts and +8

Lars Eller

So, will Lars be able to bounce back from his season ending injury? Or will we see a Lars shy away from contact? Big question, but I believe Lars has the mentality to handle this, and I think he is going to have a strong year.

It all depends om Therrien ofc. If he continues to missuse Eller and keep him off the PP, then Eller wont produce as he could.

Predictions:

82gp and 48pts and +6

Mikkel Boedker

Now, I have been one of Mikkels' biggest critics and imo rightfully so. He has not produced like an early 1st round selection yet, and has been given plenty off chances.

I find Don Maloneys' comment on Boedker to be fitting:

“He still has something to prove to show that he’s a producing forward for us,”

“If he does that, he’ll be paid a lot more money.

Can Boedker FINALLY get over this hurdle and start producing like he should? Maybe start off by shooting a bit more?

I have little faith in Boedker, something tells me he wont be able to convert his talents in the NHL.

Predictions:

82gp and 35pts and +3

AHL Players:

Frederik Andersen for Norfolk Admirals.

Predicting another solid year for Andersen. I don't think he will get his 1st call-up this season. He will play all season in Norfolk.

.932svs% - 2.1GAA

Oliver Lauridsen for Adirondack Phantoms.

Oliver will imo get a few call-ups for Philly. It is hard for me to evaluate further on Olly.

Markus Lauridsen for Lake Eirie Monsters.

All Season in Lake Eirie. No comments.

Nicklas Jensen for Utica Comets.

I think it would be best for Jensen to have all season in Utica. He needs to proove he can be consistent. I think he might get a few games in the NHL. But no more than 10.

No predictions for Jensen.

For the youngsters, ill just stick with our guys in the CHL.

Mads Eller

Have very little expectations for Eller.

Oliver Bjorkstrand

Thinking Olly will hit 80+ points.

Nikolaj Ehlers

High hopes for this kid, but wont inflate my expectations.

65+pts for Ehlers.

Last edited:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
IMO you cant use the short season last year for any comparison. I overall agree with you on most of your points, however there are a few things where I dont agree:

Frans Nielsen plays 2nd line and I also expect him to do so in the season to come, but I think he is misplaced here and the only reason he plays 2nd line is because there are no obvious man to take his place at this moment. His workethics and way of playing makes him an ideal 3rd line center and he have proven to be best at that position. As long as the coach uses him as 2nd liner with variable wings I dont see him producing more points than he do now. Maximum 50 points for him which overall probably would make him a top 10 2nd line center in points.

Regin could probably be facing his last season in NHL. He could also be reborn if the coach understands him and Regin step up when/if the chance is given. I dont expect him to have minutes with Tavares/Moulson, but they are still looking for the last man on 1st line. Maybe it will be Boyes, but then there are a place open in 2nd line with Nielsen. Lets see.

Hansen: Its all about which linemates he gets. I am hoping for Raymond and Burrows which proved to be a dangerous 2nd line for Nucks last season when everything still went the right way. After that the manager tried different setups without any positive results and the season was pretty much done with.

The same with Bødker. If he gets 1st or 2nd line all season with the same players I expect him to produce high-numbers. He still have a lot to prove, but its not like he has been given a lot to work with. Last season he was on pace for 60 points until the whole team collapsed due to injuries and poor team management 25 rounds in the short season. By the way he was playing with Hrbata and Hanzal, then Vermette and Doan then a third setup and so forth. That is not optimal for any player.

Lars Eller is the guy that will have a break out year with 60+ points. Gallagher - Eller - Galchenyuk proved to be one of NHL's most dangerous lines and if the coach lets them play together again I can not see why Eller shouldnt break the sound barrier.

I am hoping that Nicklas Jensen gets his 9 games before returning to Utica, but maybe it is to soon for him.

Andersen, well it depends on whether Hiller or Fasth gets injured long term. If so, I dont see why Andersen shouldnt get his debut.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Not gonna throw around a lot of numbers, cause I don't like their version of the truth.

The Strome-watch is in. Hope Boedker gets to play with Ribeiro. Maloney had a great quote on that. Hate the Philip Larsen trade from his point of view. Don't think we'll see very much of Oliver Lauridsen in the NHL this year. Hope to see Frederik Andersen.

Go Danes go!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Is it time already.....? JK, the wait has been horrendous! :D Happy to see that we are picking up again :D

Im going to make a long post, just to get started, so bare with me people.
My fingers are itching to write about hockey again :handclap::yo::nod:

Im going to give my 2 cents on all the players starting with our big boys.

Yeah nothing like itching fingers to be alble to write a long post :D
About my expectation it's fairly conservative. Frans Nielsen, Jannik Hansen, Lars Eller and Mikkel Bødker will be the only regulars on their teams.
Philip Larsen and Peter Regin will be substitutes.
Frederik Andersen and Oliver Lauridsen will only play in case of lots of injuries.
Nicklas Jensen might have chance to play a few matches if he does well in AHL.

Frans Nielsen has gone down production wise when it comes to goalscoring but still make assists, and it is likely he will moved from 2nd line to 3rd line centers when Strome is ready. He will probably still have a solid production.

Peter Regin will only get a few chances to deliver, and might only play in case of injuries. It's make it or break for him now.

Jannik Hansen will probably deliver something of the same he did last season....and probably be rotated as the all-team plug in case of injuries.
If Lars Eller and Mikkel Bødker ever gets a breakout it really seems it has to be this year. I agree with Bagge that Lars Eller has the biggest chance if he keeps playing with Gallagher & Galchenyuk.
Hopefully Bødker will also be able to find a line with chemistry and the confidence he had from Lukko.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
At camp Doan-Ribeiro-Boedker has been a line so far. Oh yeah!

In regards to Eller and Boedker. How about some steady progression rather than these breakout years everybody seems to be expecting. And how Boedker has not proven anything in the NHL is still beyond me. Could someone take the time to put together a serious argument for it? Not looking for a fight, but I just don't see it. It seems totally out left field for me.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
At camp Doan-Ribeiro-Boedker has been a line so far. Oh yeah!

In regards to Eller and Boedker. How about some steady progression rather than these breakout years everybody seems to be expecting. And how Boedker has not proven anything in the NHL is still beyond me. Could someone take the time to put together a serious argument for it? Not looking for a fight, but I just don't see it. It seems totally out left field for me.

Sounds great for Bødker.
I just want to ad that I am not among those that think that Bødker has not proven himself. He has shown progression. He has speed and is good defensively and also in creating offense; BUT what is needed is that he becomes a more regular goalscorer. At a top10 draft pick and playing as a top 6 forward you should be able to expect a 15-20 goals at least. I hope he can hit that threshold this season.
Last season (even if shortened) he only scored 7 goals, and he did had long stretches without any goals.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Sounds great for Bødker.
I just want to ad that I am not among those that think that Bødker has not proven himself. He has shown progression. He has speed and is good defensively and also in creating offense; BUT what is needed is that he becomes a more regular goalscorer. At a top10 draft pick and playing as a top 6 forward you should be able to expect a 15-20 goals at least. I hope he can hit that threshold this season.
Last season (even if shortened) he only scored 7 goals, and he did had long stretches without any goals.

More nuanced. And I could get on board with the amount goal being the next step.

Still the problem with holding his draft position against him is draft positions is a A) a qualified crap shot. Not a guarentee. And B) different draft years have different quality.

Had he been a 3rd rounder everything would be in the finest order. Looking at just Boedker there's no worries. But the draft position or everyone expectation seems to be dragging him down.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Some Danes in pre-season action tonight. Thought this post was funny. I know skating's never gonna be Lauridsens biggest asset but then look who's getting some positive attention :laugh:

Gill looks decent. Lauridsen still the slowest man on the ice.

EDIT: Having seen only a period(And heading for bed) Eller's looking good between 2 x Gally(Galchenyuk and Gallagher). That line combination... Homer Simpson-like drool incoming.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
More nuanced. And I could get on board with the amount goal being the next step.

Still the problem with holding his draft position against him is draft positions is a A) a qualified crap shot. Not a guarentee. And B) different draft years have different quality.

Had he been a 3rd rounder everything would be in the finest order. Looking at just Boedker there's no worries. But the draft position or everyone expectation seems to be dragging him down.

I agree with you there. As a third rounder nothing could be put against his performance. But hopefully he will start to score so he can live up to his drafting, because that is also how things work in NHL. They are so very stat oriented.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Some Danes in pre-season action tonight. Thought this post was funny. I know skating's never gonna be Lauridsens biggest asset but then look who's getting some positive attention :laugh:

EDIT: Having seen only a period(And heading for bed) Eller's looking good between 2 x Gally(Galchenyuk and Gallagher). That line combination... Homer Simpson-like drool incoming.

The question is will Oliver Lauridsen ever be faster than the second-slowest man on ice?!
Otherwise Eller really has everything on a silver platter for this season. Really hope that line can make a blast of it!

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Some pre-season update...

Olvier Bjørkstrand had a 1+1 in Traverse City prospect tournament(I think. And I can't find the stats site). I can't help to think he's a prime candidate to be a first cut - Believe it'll be Wednesday - not because he's one of the worst prospect but because he's in no way relevant for the Blue Jackets anno 2013/14 but a very important part of his WHL-team.

Nicklas Jensen had a 1+1 in Vancouvers prospect tournament(Again no confirmation). He'll fight to make an impression on the NHL coaching staff before getting some AHL-time.

Mikkel Boedker scored either two PP-goals last night against LA. Looks like he'll be on line with captain Shane Doan and playmaking center Mike Ribeiro.

Lars Eller looks like he EARNED his spot between the Gallies. Looks like an exciting line.

Philip Larsen has had his first game as an Edmonton Oiler. Haven't read anything to suggest he coughed during the game but anonymous is not a bad quality for D-man :)

Oliver Lauridsen looked slow according to Flyers posters but Gustafsson(One of the guys ahead of him on the depth chart) had some unfortunate chip-ins so I guess there's that.

Tonight Vancouver(Jensen, not Hansen), Anaheim(Andersen) and Flyers(x 2 - perhaps Lauridsen) will go at it.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Couldn't resist reading some of the fans reports of the Danes in action last night. General impression was:

Oliver Bjorkstrand did good. A poster on here noted that he "played the game the NHL-way" or something like that. Very good to hear. The general feelings seems to be that he needs to take the patient route due to his size. Nice to hear he's on track though. He's just been send back to Portland so he can get a full pre-season with his WHL-team.

Philip Larsen had 1+1 night so excepted to see good reviews. Apparently he involved in the two Oilers goal within a short period of time but still showed problems with positioning and defending in general. Still not quite sure the Oilers is the best place for him to be(Or put in other words... a better place than Dallas) but I'm ready to eat crows the second I'm wrong.

Peter Regin was on line with Michael Grabner and Cal Clutterbuck. The two best guys to get time with if you wanna be 3C on this Islanders team IMO. Looks to me like a third line with speed, hard work and some scoring touch. Best possible scenario IMO. Grabner scored btw.

So all in all good news even though not single Dane won :)

EDIT: Update on Lauridsen. Today Flyers cut 28(Mostly their AHL-guys incl. guys like Akeson, Cousins and McGinn... so some of the "call-up-guys") but not Lauridsen. It's also published(Not official yet) that Lauridsen will be among 9 D starting in Lake Placid(AHL). So what to make of that? Well he's now left 12 D on the Flyers team. One is Pronger. He won't see ice perhaps ever again. Bourdon is also LTIR. Then there are Timmonen, Streit, Schenn, Coburn, Meszaros, Grossmann and Gustafsson. These seems to be locks. That leaves 3 players(Gervais, Hal Gill and Lauridsen) fighting for the call-up spot #1-3. And judging by the injury history of some of these Flyers D's the #1 call up will see significant time in the NHL this year. But well could this be any other way you ask? Sure. Look at Manning. He also came up last year and played with the Flyers last year and wore a A in the AHL. He's been cut. I'm spinning this to be good news :)

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
EDIT: Update on Lauridsen. Today Flyers cut 28(Mostly their AHL-guys incl. guys like Akeson, Cousins and McGinn... so some of the "call-up-guys") but not Lauridsen. It's also published(Not official yet) that Lauridsen will be among 9 D starting in Lake Placid(AHL). So what to make of that? Well he's now left 12 D on the Flyers team. One is Pronger. He won't see ice perhaps ever again. Bourdon is also LTIR. Then there are Timmonen, Streit, Schenn, Coburn, Meszaros, Grossmann and Gustafsson. These seems to be locks. That leaves 3 players(Gervais, Hal Gill and Lauridsen) fighting for the call-up spot #1-3. And judging by the injury history of some of these Flyers D's the #1 call up will see significant time in the NHL this year. But well could this be any other way you ask? Sure. Look at Manning. He also came up last year and played with the Flyers last year and wore a A in the AHL. He's been cut. I'm spinning this to be good news :)

Seems that Lauridsen will have a good chance to play some NHL games these season!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Peter Regin found the net in a pre-season match. Islanders got a 5-3 win over New Jersey Devils with Regin using Frans Nielsen's "Danish Backhand of Judgement".

Hope Regin can grab this chance and keep impressing, so he can start the NHL as a 3'rd center.
It's likely the last he will get in the NHL.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I asked about Philip Larsen on the Edmonton Oilers board and he has been getting generally pretty good reviews thus far.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1479321

Yeah is seems like he might just make it as 6-7'th D-man according to some on the Edmonton board, but he is in close competition with a lot of guys.
His puck-carrying ability and speed are really his great assets. In the Danish NT he has been quite capable on the PP, and I think most of his goals scored in the NHL has been on the PP. I don't think he got many chances in Dallas though.
His lack of physique is his weak point, but with a big fellow beside him it might work, so lets hope for a third D-pairing!

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Jannik Hansen re-signs for 4 years at $2.5 mill. per year. Yet another Dane to sign under market value. Still, nice security for Jannik, who should not ever have to deal with an 'overpaid' label with that contract.

Also, Philip Larsen put on waivers by the Oilers today.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Soooo... Training Camps almost up. The impressions I've got was:

The good:

Mikkel Boedker: Looks like he'll be on line with Mike Ribeiro and Shane Doan. I'm very pumped about this.

Jannik Hansen: Has gotten good reviews and a new sweatheart contract. An absolute favorite of mine and this summer has been good reading on his front :)

Peter Regin: Looks like he got a spot as a 3C on the Islanders. Good on him. Some big wingers on his sides - some potential if him and Clutterbuck can get some chemistry.

Oliver Lauridsen - Looks like he wasn't just the last guy on the AHL-team for Philly. They see some NHL-potential in him. Somewhat good news.

The meh:

Lars Eller: Looks like he'll continue on line with Gally x 2. Should be good.

Frans Nielsen: Same/same

Frederik Andersen: Still stuck behind Fasth and Hiller. Did fine but so did Gibson so... meh.

Markus Lauridsen: Got a cup of coffee with the Avanlanche. So I guess that's something.

The bad:

Philip Larsen: Just got waived. Hasn't cleared while I'm writing this so everything's up in the air but I'm still dodgy on that trade to Edmonton.

Nicklas Jensen: Seems to have had a "bad" camp. Off to the AHL to light some fire on his NA-career the next years.

So all in all a good training camp for the key Danes. No injuries, good lines and a single waive. I'm gonna guess Mikkel Boedkers pre-season is going to be the one with most impact on the positive side. Philip Larsen on the bad side clearly.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I see guys have answered my long post... Thanks guys, and I agree with most of your comments to my post.. Though Some of it was taken to litteral:)

Sorry I have not been able to commit to the post, as I have been crazy busy the last couple of weeks :)

In comment to the above.

AFAIK Larsen had an OK pre-camp but has still been put on waivers.

I have very low expectations for this years Danes in NA. Don't expect much.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Jannik Hansen re-signs for 4 years at $2.5 mill. per year. Yet another Dane to sign under market value. Still, nice security for Jannik, who should not ever have to deal with an 'overpaid' label with that contract.

Real hometown-discount contract. Builds to the image as a team-first-kinda-guy. Although knowing that he properly has to live of the money he makes now for the most of his life you could wish for him to get a little more.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00