Rumor: Dan Cleary leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I have never been a fan of how Cleary is used by Babcock, because I think the ideal player for that type of role should be a few inches taller and maybe 30 lbs heavier. So, no, if Babs still wants him to do the same type of thing? Let him move on and use the money elsewhere.

I'm with you frankly. I want Cleary. I wouldn't mind him as the 4th line type who can move up if necessary but also doesn't mind sitting in the box for 2-4 games stretches if we need to get a look at a kid.

In THAT role, I think his leadership and past sacrifices for the organization make him worth even as much as 3 million. Wouldn't sniff a 3 year deal though with his health; 2 years, 3 Million because we don't hate you or want to punish you but... no more Danny Skill Minute Cleary.

Again though, not HIS fault at all. That role is ENTIRELY on Babs.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
If's a cheap two year deal, I can't be mad. If it is anything more, I will be.

Same here. If it's around 1-1.5M, maybeeeeeee 2M, I can live with it, anything over that and this day goes from great to not so great.

The only reason I can see for re-signing Cleary is if they plan on packaging Tatar & a dman for a better dman so they need a 3rd liner.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I have never been a fan of how Cleary is used by Babcock, because I think the ideal player for that type of role should be a few inches taller and maybe 30 lbs heavier. So, no, if Babs still wants him to do the same type of thing? Let him move on and use the money elsewhere.

Just so we're clear, you do remember that if Babcock didn't use Cleary this way, he wouldn't be in the league, right? Cleary was on a pro tryout with the Wings, he was a few days away from becoming a career minor leaguer. If Cleary could've gotten by on his skill alone, he would've lived up to his draft status and not gotten himself into the position he did.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
This whole thread wouldn't even be necessary if Babcock didn't keep using the dude in the top 6 and critical situations.

BABCOCK!!!

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What a ****** way to end a good day if this happens.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
at this point I almost want him to just sign with us already

I keep refreshing things over and over waiting for the other shoe to drop,it's torture

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
at this point I almost want him to just sign with us already

I keep refreshing things over and over waiting for the other shoe to drop,it's torture

Uhhhh, no. I think I will take the refresh torture over Cleary resigning at 3 (THREE!!!!) years.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Cleary will get 4 years 12M. Holland should be fired before he has a chance to fax over the paperwork.

As annoyed as I'll be if Cleary comes back I may have to ban you from the board if it happens. I don't know if I could stand 4,000 new Cleary posts from you regardless if I feel the same way. :p:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
This is obviously a "save me from myself" situation with Babs and Cleary.

Just like Goldmember had to have someone keep him from eating his own skin flakes, Kenny needs to realize that Babcock can't help but give DFC top 6 minutes if he is on the roster.

Kenny- save Babs from himself. Ignore Babcock when he tells you he wants Cleary for grit and bottom 6 mins. Don't sign Cleary for 4th line duty bc we all know Danny will be the first injury replacement for the top 6, and he won't be pushed back down the lineup.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Can someone clue me in on why the hate for Cleary?

I thought he was a great asset for the Wings. Don't really care if he's always putting up points or not.

He's a "playoff style" player. Does the things it takes to win, goes to the net, takes the abuse....I must admit I'm surprised to see all these Wings fans happy to see him leave.

Why?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I thought he was a great asset for the Wings. Don't really care if he's always putting up points or not.

He's a "playoff style" player. Does the things it takes to win, goes to the net, takes the abuse....I must admit I'm surprised to see all these Wings fans happy to see him leave.

Why?

He gets a lot of minutes people wish were going to faster more skilled players.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Also, I won't believe that Cleary has signed elsewhere even if tsn and 17 other reputable sources report it.

I'll need to actually see him turn the puck over by tripping over his own skates in a different uniform before I'm buying in.

RedWingsNow*

He gets a lot of minutes people wish were going to faster more skilled players.

He can't keep up with the pace of the game and kills too many offensive chances with turnovers and passes to nobody.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Also, I won't believe that Cleary has signed elsewhere even if tsn and 17 other reputable sources report it.

I'll need to actually see him turn the puck over by tripping over his own skates in a different uniform before I'm buying in.

and even then Holland would probably be struck by a strong sense of nostalgia the first time that happened and try to trade for him :laugh:

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013

Why?

slowest player on ice (goalies included), can't play off forehand, lacks size and knees to be a quality grinder, doesn't score nearly enough for top-6 minutes, and younger guys can do his job better and cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad