Rumor: Dan Cleary leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'm sure the bonus will be something easy for him to hit, like playing 50+ games this season, or something along those lines. The only reason KH structured it this way is so he can defer $2 MM to next year's cap--- which will probably be around $70 MM. I'm willing to bet he gets all $5.5 MM.
Iginlas bonus with the Bruins is playing a whopping ten games.I'm willing to bet Alfies is just as laughable.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
St. James expects Cleary back at 2.5-2.75/season for 3 more years.

It really just boggles my mind. He's not worth that much for 1 season on this team. After seeing how much his game has deteriorated in the past 3 years, how could you possibly sign him for 3 more? And they were worried about Vinny's pace, seriously?

Christien

May 1, 2010

It really just boggles my mind. He's not worth that much for 1 season on this team. After seeing how much his game has deteriorated in the past 3 years, how could you possibly sign him for 3 more? And they were worried about Vinny's pace, seriously?

That's sickening.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I hope that is just HSJ pinning for Cleary as she always does. Her infatuation with the guy, coupled with her inability to do anything other than praise the Wings as their glorified mouth-piece, is really quite frightening. I'd wager she has a secret Danny-boy-alone-time-closet at home.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I hope that is just HSJ pinning for Cleary as she always does. Her infatuation with the guy, coupled with her inability to do anything other than praise the Wings as their glorified mouth-piece, is really quite frightening. I'd wager she has a secret Danny-boy-alone-time-closet at home.

I think it's just talk. I don't believe Cleary will back. IF he is resigned, though rest assured it won't be for that much lol.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Dan is kind of getting older and slowing down, but he still works as hard as anyone in the corners and really elevates his game for the post season.

From what I know of him as a person, I like him a lot. In that respect, I would hate to see him go. However, at this stage in his career, if he wants to test the waters, then Detroit has some forwards in Grand Rapids who would probably post similar numbers as Cleary or even better. I would probably be straight up with him about that as a GM.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Makes no sense that detroit is willing to give a declining Cleary a 3 year deal at 2.5 but won't pay Brunner 3 for 3 years.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
As stated before Helene has a unprofessional infatuation with both Bertuzzi and Cleary. So unless she is reporting straight from Kenny I don't take anything she says about either Cleary or Bert seriously.

RedWingsNow*

Makes no sense that detroit is willing to give a declining Cleary a 3 year deal at 2.5 but won't pay Brunner 3 for 3 years.

Holland replaced Brunner's role with Alfredsson
Holland replaced Flip's role with Weiss.

now it's Cleary for Cleary.

And while I don't want cleary, we do need someone who can play with some toughness.

Would much prefer Morrow.

RedWingsNow*

Helen has, on at least 3 occasions, retweeted fans who plead for the Wings to sign Cleary or Cleary to stay.

It's pretty embarrassing behavior for a reporter for one of America's most respected newspapers

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site

i think she is hoping, she is Cleary's #1 fan. I mean she mine as well put on a cheerleading outfit when she speaks of old Danny boy.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

And while I don't want cleary, we do need someone who can play with some toughness.

Such as? What toughness does Dan Cleary bring? Playing when he's hurt and can't perform? That hurts the team. Taking dumb penalties?
The only thing he does well is take a beating in front of the net I guess. He loses battles in the corners. Doesn't fight. Just will yell at other players with the ref right there and do a little pushing after the whistle. TOUGH STUFF! The Wings already have a fake tough guy. His name is Gator. Bert's a hell lot more gritty and tough than either of those guys.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

I concur, at worst he's as bad as cleary, at best... who knows? similar to Dallas Drake in 08?

Let's see what the new guy (for the wings that is) can do... If he just lowered his demands to a good level wings should go to him instead..

Also babcock liked the guy at the vancouver olympics

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI

Cleary is tough in the sense that he can take a lot of punishment, not so much at dishing it out. I would much rather have Morrow as well, he still has a lot more offensive ability left then Cleary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad