Rumor: Dan Cleary leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Still in on Cleary

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 36m
@BrentLaRowe Haven't heard. They're trying to sign Cleary. If that doesn't happen then maybe Morrow is an option.

Give it a ****ing rest Kenny. We have 16 guys under contract.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
slowest player on ice (goalies included), can't play off forehand, lacks size and knees to be a quality grinder, doesn't score nearly enough for top-6 minutes, and younger guys can do his job better and cheaper

But the Wings have plenty of speedy players.

Who is going to score those dirty ugly goals in big playoff games? He battles in the corners, takes abuse in front of the net, does the little things like eat up time in the dying minutes of big games.

They have Abdelkader, who else? Franzen doesn't really do that.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

Who is going to score those dirty ugly goals in big playoff games? He battles in the corners, takes abuse in front of the net, does the little things like eat up time in the dying minutes of big games.

Cleary goes to the boards and dirty areas, yes. Then simply falls on his tush and the opposing team is entering the Wings' zone.

He scored maybe a couple of goals this year. Like Abdelkader, Datsyuk scored the rest by using them as diversions.

RedWingsNow*

Then get Morrow instead of Cleary.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

I guess if you buy in to the highlights of Cleary's playoff performance this season as being who he is as a player right now, then you raise some valid points.

But I think his past two incredibly ineffective regular seasons comprise a far more accurate representation of who he is as a player at this point in his career. Can't speak for every Cleary critic on this board, but I don't think I'm flying solo on that view.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013

Yes, who will Detroit sign to bounce the puck off into the net?

And a lot want in.

exactly...2 proven guys come in while 2 money-hungry players (who haven't earned paydays) go elsewhere. I'll take that swap

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Can someone clue me in on why the hate for Cleary?

I thought he was a great asset for the Wings. Don't really care if he's always putting up points or not.

He's a "playoff style" player. Does the things it takes to win, goes to the net, takes the abuse....I must admit I'm surprised to see all these Wings fans happy to see him leave.

Why?

When you read some of the comments on here regarding Cleary, you can only shake your head. There's a reason there's a lot of interest in him. Teams watch him play in the playoffs and think they'd like a guy like that. Lays it all out. A guy like that should be a fan favorite and he's spoken of on here like he's worse than Jordan Tootoo. I just seen two people agree on here that Matt Cooke is a better hockey player. On what planet???? Do you not watch the games? Do you only look at stats? Or worse yet, advanced stats?

Now Im not saying i'd give him a four year deal but let's be honest. He's a dependable player when it counts. You know what you're gonna get and usually that's a pretty good thing. Gee, I wonder why the coaches love him.

Here's what it comes down to for all you folks who think he's somehow getting in the way of younger guys making their mark... Babcock's a pretty straightforward coach. If you give him a better opportunity to win, you're gonna play. It's as simple as that. Im not sure, as a coach, how many times he has to prove that. Did he not just play kids over Bertuzzi and Samuelsson in the playoffs? It's because they deserved to play. So if Cleary is signed and he's not in the top 12, he wont play or they'll move him. Obviously there's enough interest in him that moving him wouldnt be an issue.

The hate bandwagon on here for some guys is hilarious. Rip on Ericsson for two years, then Kindl, then Cleary, Samuelsson and the list goes on. But this morning a lot of people were clamoring for a player like Grabovski who just ripped his organization on the way out, sulked all year long, was benched constantly for basically not trying and cried as he was entitled to something.

Where's the logic? Have many of you never been around a hockey team before? The disconnect from the locker room to these boards is mind boggling. Rip on the good guys and praise the guys nobody else wants in a locker room. :shakehead

And I dont even want Cleary back but that has nothing to do with what he can offer the team this year. I just wouldnt give him 3-4 years. But there's others on here who've been trying to get rid of him for a few years. You look as though you have no clue what it takes to win hockey games.

Good luck to Dan Cleary wherever he ends up . He gave his body and soul for the city and his teammates.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Still in on Cleary

Give it a ****ing rest Kenny. We have 16 guys under contract.

I'll be shocked at this point if the Wings don't sign Cleary tomorrow (3 YEARS 2.75M per). I'll be devastated. Tatar will be a healthy scratch most nights and Danny boy will be playing in the last 2 minutes of games, PP, PK etc.

Of course some teams may have "interest" in him(leadership/lockerroom, yada yada yada). But guess what? No team is offering him more than 2 years and nowhere near his salary demands. If that was the case, he'd be gone by now.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Where's the logic? Have many of you never been around a hockey team before? The disconnect from the locker room to these boards is mind boggling. Rip on the good guys and praise the guys nobody else wants in a locker room. :shakehead

And I dont even want Cleary back but that has nothing to do with what he can offer the team this year. I just wouldnt give him 3-4 years. But there's others on here who've been trying to get rid of him for a few years. You look as though you have no clue what it takes to win hockey games.

Good luck to Dan Cleary wherever he ends up . He gave his body and soul for the city and his teammates.

MOD

Cleary may be sought after for his locker room presence...Wings don't need more of that

Look at the goals Cleary got credit for...how many did he produce himself?

The Grabo comments didn't come out right away, and I'd imagine that's why KH stayed clear and stuck with Weiss. But for you to assume anything, since you're NOT in the locker room, is simply pure speculation that doesn't prove your point, no matter how hard you try.

I don't want Cleary back because he doesn't possess the value the Wings need. I don't care what any other team sees in him. He doesn't score enough, he's too slow, and he's about as strong on the puck as Hudler (probably less now). It's not 2009 anymore. Deal with it

Last edited by a moderator:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Wings should kill two birds with one stone. Trade a couple forwards (Sammy, Emmerton, Eaves etc) and picks for the rights to Chris Stewart. I have no problem giving Stewart 3 years at 2.5 - 3M per.

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Just so we're clear, you do remember that if Babcock didn't use Cleary this way, he wouldn't be in the league, right? Cleary was on a pro tryout with the Wings, he was a few days away from becoming a career minor leaguer. If Cleary could've gotten by on his skill alone, he would've lived up to his draft status and not gotten himself into the position he did.

I'm not sure that's clearly clear. :)

He came to an ascending team that was a great mix of puck possession Babcockian tenacity, defense first play. I don't think that just anyone put in that role would have succeeded. We had several spectacular failures (Leino, JWill, Lang, ... gut we got from the Hawks...name escapes me... Bert 1.0, and so on). Cleary made a hell of a lot out of that chance.

And a lot want in.

Who?

exactly...2 proven guys come in while 2 money-hungry players (who haven't earned paydays) go elsewhere. I'll take that swap

40 yr old Alfie at $5 MM? I don't want to diss Alfie because I kind of like him, but that's a hell of a lot of money for a 40 yr old. I;m not sure Burke gave Teemu that much money after they won the Cup (or maybe he did close to that amount).

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
MOD

Cleary may be sought after for his locker room presence...Wings don't need more of that

Look at the goals Cleary got credit for...how many did he produce himself?

The Grabo comments didn't come out right away, and I'd imagine that's why KH stayed clear and stuck with Weiss. But for you to assume anything, since you're NOT in the locker room, is simply pure speculation that doesn't prove your point, no matter how hard you try.

I don't want Cleary back because he doesn't possess the value the Wings need. I don't care what any other team sees in him. He doesn't score enough, he's too slow, and he's about as strong on the puck as Hudler (probably less now). It's not 2009 anymore. Deal with it

Your right. It's not 2009. It's 2013 where once again he was one of the better playoff players. And I'm guessing if the Wings are still interested, they kind of agree. It's hilarious that people just assume whoever replaces him will be better and bring more to the table. Its hockey. If there's a better player, that player would've played over him.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm not sure that's clearly clear. :)

He came to an ascending team that was a great mix of puck possession Babcockian tenacity, defense first play. I don't think that just anyone put in that role would have succeeded. We had several spectacular failures (Leino, JWill, Lang, ... gut we got from the Hawks...name escapes me... Bert 1.0, and so on). Cleary made a hell of a lot out of that chance.

Do you think Cleary would've had this career anywhere else? I don't. He owes a lot to Babcock and Holland. His career was hanging in the balance, how many pro tryouts at his age end up having the career he did? Very few.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
40 yr old Alfie at $5 MM? I don't want to diss Alfie because I kind of like him, but that's a hell of a lot of money for a 40 yr old. I;m not sure Burke gave Teemu that much money after they won the Cup (or maybe he did close to that amount).

It's Alfie at $3.5 million, unless he really earns that $5+ million; at which point he'd be worth that as well. Watch the Bryan Murray interview. He says Alfie was offered a blank check...someone gives me a blank check and I bet I'll write more than $5 million on it.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Your right. It's not 2009. It's 2013 where once again he was one of the better playoff players. And I'm guessing if the Wings are still interested, they kind of agree. It's hilarious that people just assume whoever replaces him will be better and bring more to the table. Its hockey. If there's a better player, that player would've played over him.

these arguments absolutely state the opposite of the Red Wings philosophy, but you're certainly free to believe that.

As for Cleary being one of the better players on the ice for the playoffs, I just can't help but laugh. Even if i agreed with that premise, wouldn't it be expected as he was top-6 and put in every possible position to score?

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids

Awesome post, the hate can get way over the top around here. He had a really rough start to the year but brought it in the postseason. I think, like Abdelkader, most of the hate comes from the players being misused in the lineup by Babcock. Cleary is definitely the type of warrior teams love to have around and a well-liked guy in the room.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
It's Alfie at $3.5 million, unless he really earns that $5+ million; at which point he'd be worth that as well. Watch the Bryan Murray interview. He says Alfie was offered a blank check...someone gives me a blank check and I bet I'll write more than $5 million on it.

I'm sure the bonus will be something easy for him to hit, like playing 50+ games this season, or something along those lines. The only reason KH structured it this way is so he can defer $2 MM to next year's cap--- which will probably be around $70 MM. I'm willing to bet he gets all $5.5 MM.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
When you read some of the comments on here regarding Cleary, you can only shake your head. There's a reason there's a lot of interest in him. Teams watch him play in the playoffs and think they'd like a guy like that. Lays it all out. A guy like that should be a fan favorite and he's spoken of on here like he's worse than Jordan Tootoo. I just seen two people agree on here that Matt Cooke is a better hockey player. On what planet???? Do you not watch the games? Do you only look at stats? Or worse yet, advanced stats?

Now Im not saying i'd give him a four year deal but let's be honest. He's a dependable player when it counts. You know what you're gonna get and usually that's a pretty good thing. Gee, I wonder why the coaches love him.

Here's what it comes down to for all you folks who think he's somehow getting in the way of younger guys making their mark... Babcock's a pretty straightforward coach. If you give him a better opportunity to win, you're gonna play. It's as simple as that. Im not sure, as a coach, how many times he has to prove that. Did he not just play kids over Bertuzzi and Samuelsson in the playoffs? It's because they deserved to play. So if Cleary is signed and he's not in the top 12, he wont play or they'll move him. Obviously there's enough interest in him that moving him wouldnt be an issue.

The hate bandwagon on here for some guys is hilarious. Rip on Ericsson for two years, then Kindl, then Cleary, Samuelsson and the list goes on. But this morning a lot of people were clamoring for a player like Grabovski who just ripped his organization on the way out, sulked all year long, was benched constantly for basically not trying and cried as he was entitled to something.

i can understand when you cant understand that.
i can not speak for all people they wanna have cleary out of town but i can say i dont want to spend money on watching guys like cleary playing hockey at all. if i wanna watch talent free hard worker then i can go to work and watch people working. it doesnt cost me any dollar. but when i pay for something i want entertainment. the extraordinary talent level. you can be a worker and have talent.
how do you come to the conclusion that the wings can win cups without any higher talented player other then dats and zetta?
and what will happen when both are gone?
who is replacing them? do we play with 20 cleary style worker bees and brawl the opponent to death? if you wanna pay money for that feel free but i dont wanna pay for that. thats what i see on a daily base at work. no, thx

guys like cleary and abdelkader in the top 6 are not producing enough to keep the opponent away from doing their offensive stuff. and for the bottom 6 we are settled with player grinding and brawling the opponent for the half of the salary. so abdelkader and cleary are more then obsolet on this team. they are blocking 2 roster spot you could use for talented player.

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
guys like cleary and abdelkader in the top 6 are not producing enough to keep the opponent away from doing their offensive stuff. and for the bottom 6 we are settled with player grinding and brawling the opponent for the half of the salary. so abdelkader and cleary are more then obsolet on this team. they are blocking 2 roster spot you could use for talented player.

Who's idea was to make Abby a first liner?

Yes, you are right that we'd rather have a top line of nothing but Dats and Z, but in the cap world and the Wings' draft position, it's not really a reality. Even so, it's not Abby nor Cleary that's blocking the youngsters from those spots. That's all on coaching and mgt. They'll just find new grinders.

mackaveli

Jun 12, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Wings should kill two birds with one stone. Trade a couple forwards (Sammy, Emmerton, Eaves etc) and picks for the rights to Chris Stewart. I have no problem giving Stewart 3 years at 2.5 - 3M per.

Of course you'd have no problem giving Stewart a low ball offer like that. Can I have what you are smoking?

You think Stewart will get only 3 years at 2.5 to 3M? That's absurd. Maybe 4.5M+ and then he'd actually listen to you.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
Who's idea was to make Abby a first liner?

Yes, you are right that we'd rather have a top line of nothing but Dats and Z, but in the cap world and the Wings' draft position, it's not really a reality. Even so, it's not Abby nor Cleary that's blocking the youngsters from those spots. That's all on coaching and mgt. They'll just find new grinders.

if you spent 10 mil on players without any use then you are not allowed to complain about cap limitation (samuelsson, cleary, abdelkader, tootoo, bertuzzi).
and just because its a managements fault it doesnt make cleary any better. spend this 10 mil on talent and you can compete for a cup again.
weiss and alfredsson are a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad