Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Dan Hamhuis (2 years, $3.750M AAV)

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
is Honka going to make the jump next season?

Nope. At least not to start. Remember D take a little longer and doing a year in the AHL after juniors is almost the norm now. Honka has been in the AHL for 2 year but his draft class is just getting there this year. On more year there is completely fine. He should also just kill it since he has already played so well at 18 and 19.

I assume he starts down and then forces a trade midway through the season

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Can someone explain it. What is reason for not trading Hamhuis? For me it is just stupidity. I don´t understand it. getting a 7th round pick is better than getting nothing.

If you mean the deadline, then I think it's because Benning and co. drove a hard bargain that was rejected. May have asked for Honka in return and judging from what we gave for Russell, that wasn't necessarily a bad request from Vancouver, but Honka was never going to leave town under Nill's watch. Not for a rental.

Maybe Benning could have traded his negotiation rights and he didn't even do that. I guess they were being a little lax on negotiating with Hamhuis thinking it was a given he'd extend here since he was from here?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Story goes we way lowballed along with Chicago at the last minute. If we offer a 4th for him and Benning takes it instead of nothing, he looks terrible in the market and other GMs know he's a dim bulb they can push around. Burke said the same thing the year he didn't trade Cammaleri, his working reputation is worth this loss.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Hammer has slowed down a bit but I'm surprised the Stars didn't have to give much term to keep him at a good AAV. Shows he wants to win, GL to him

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Can someone explain it. What is reason for not trading Hamhuis? For me it is just stupidity. I don´t understand it. getting a 7th round pick is better than getting nothing.

The reasons for hamhuis not getting dealt are well documented.

Can you imagine Benning traded him for a 7th? It literally would be worse than nothing.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Can you imagine Benning traded him for a 7th? It literally would be worse than nothing.

No it wouldn't & I hardly think that only a 7th was offered (if so, then it's the Dallas management that is @$#%@#$% for missing out this past season with that kind of lowball offer that you know would be rejected).

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX

Dallas offered what they offered for Russell to the Canucks

Benning took that offer and Aquilini said "No, **** Gaglardi you have to bleed Dallas for more.".

Benning came back and Dallas said "No, stop wasting our time, **** this" and took that offer to Calgary and got Russell.

Dallas came back to Benning and offered him a mid round pick at best at the last moment.

Benning goes to the media and cries and tells Canucks fans that all they got offered was that final low ball offer and some Canucks fans actually still believe him.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Dallas offered what they offered for Russell to the Canucks

Benning took that offer and Aquilini said "No, **** Gaglardi you have to bleed Dallas for more.".

Benning came back and Dallas said "No, stop wasting our time, **** this" and took that offer to Calgary and got Russell.

Dallas came back to Benning and offered him a mid round pick at best at the last moment.

Benning goes to the media and cries and tells Canucks fans that all they got offered was that final low ball offer and some Canucks fans actually still believe him.
It's amazing how many people were in the room to be able to hand out definitive first hand knowledge.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
If you mean the deadline, then I think it's because Benning and co. drove a hard bargain that was rejected. May have asked for Honka in return and judging from what we gave for Russell, that wasn't necessarily a bad request from Vancouver, but Honka was never going to leave town under Nill's watch. Not for a rental.

Maybe Benning could have traded his negotiation rights and he didn't even do that. I guess they were being a little lax on negotiating with Hamhuis thinking it was a given he'd extend here since he was from here?

Yeah there are some reasons. And maybe they thought at the time that they could maybe make a very good deal before free agent day but apparently they could not get good enough deal. Although I think that the deal Dallas made with Hamhuis was pretty good. No matter how big your rebuild is you should always have some core players IMO

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
It's amazing how many people were in the room to be able to hand out definitive first hand knowledge.

From this Sportsnet link:

Ed Willes of The Province cites a “highly placed Stars source” when he reports the Canucks had a trade in place to send Hamhuis to Dallas in exchange for a “similar” package the Stars eventually sent to Calgary for Kris Russell.

“The deal was taken to Canucks ownership. Ownership requested more. The Stars rejected that request and made the trade with the Flames,” Willes writes. “Dallas then came back to the Canucks with a lesser offer for Hamhuis — believed to be a draft pick in 2017 — but were turned down.”

Yikes.

“They lost the deal,” Willes’s Stars source says. “The deal Calgary got was pretty much available to Vancouver.”

I hope that eliminates any notion that DirtyKari's details on how it went down was just some stuff made up by Stars fans.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No, definitely not. Maybe the season after.

Lindell is making the jump. Honka will be another year.

Nope. At least not to start. Remember D take a little longer and doing a year in the AHL after juniors is almost the norm now. Honka has been in the AHL for 2 year but his draft class is just getting there this year. On more year there is completely fine. He should also just kill it since he has already played so well at 18 and 19.

I assume he starts down and then forces a trade midway through the season

If Hammy works out for you guys, you will have a very solid dcore once Honka makes the jump.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Its amazing how many Canucks fans believe everything Jim Benning says. Personally I trust a mixture of sources (like Eliot Friedman) and reading in between the lines.

I'm no fan of Benning. I want him fired ASAP. I just don't think he's q complete idiot.

So we've got a Stars source (as already mentioned no love lost there) says they offered a decent package and then tried to fleece Benning because he asked for more because he didn't immediately accept. Even if it is true, accepting a ridiculous lowball offer when he's already go a reputation for being a bit of a push over would make his position completely untenable and he would be fired soon enough.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
I'm no fan of Benning. I want him fired ASAP. I just don't think he's q complete idiot.

So we've got a Stars source (as already mentioned no love lost there) says they offered a decent package and then tried to fleece Benning because he asked for more because he didn't immediately accept. Even if it is true, accepting a ridiculous lowball offer when he's already go a reputation for being a bit of a push over would make his position completely untenable and he would be fired soon enough.

The Stars didn't try to fleece Benning because "he asked for more because he didn't immediately accept". They withdrew their offer and gave it to Calgary after it was clear they were dealing with ownership meddling and they were running out of time with Calgary. Read the source that was provided. If it doesn't make sense then read it again.

Here is Elliot Friedman's take:

So, what happened? The Chicago deal fell apart last week when there wasn’t a quick resolution. The Blackhawks were annoyed and disappointed, they wanted Hamhuis. On Monday, the Canucks realistically were down to one team: Dallas. Jim Benning was in a brutal position and Jim Nill knew it. The Dallas GM could slow play and grind. The ownership dislike between the two clubs added to the inferno, but I do think a deal could get done as long as the Canucks came out looking good. Since we know the return was “similar” to what Calgary got for Kris Russell, that should have been enough.

There were two things that helped close it for the Flames. First, as Benning mentioned, Dallas preferred Russell. Second, Calgary GM Brad Treliving was not going to wait until the last second. He’s said in the past he prefers to gather information, but make a decision a couple hours early so nothing goes wrong. Calgary was ready. Vancouver wasn’t. That’s probably the biggest lesson the Canucks need to recognize, from ownership down. When you are in such a tight spot, you’ve got to make a fast decision. Get the best you can or say, “We’re not getting fleeced.” Don’t leave yourself hanging.

After the Flames and Stars shook hands, signed papers and kissed babies, Nill and Chicago compatriot Stan Bowman went back to Benning. My guess is the Dallas offer was something like a third-round pick. The Canucks GM knew that wouldn’t fly, and invoked the Brian Burke/Mike Cammalleri rule of, “I’m not trading a good player for nothing, because then other teams will think they can do that forever.” The Blackhawks’ package was more complex. It involved unwanted contracts like Bryan Bickell and Chris Higgins. Remember when Toronto and Vancouver tried to make a Robert Luongo trade tight to the end? It didn’t work because things were too complex. Same here. Chicago wanted Hamhuis, too.

You can either choose to believe that poor little Benning just got lowballed by everyone or that your terrible GM mismanaged the deadline and ownership meddling contributed to it. Given that he got literally nothing back for anyone in a year where his team placed 28th overall I will choose to believe the latter.

I cannot understand why you and some other Canucks fans keep coming back to the company line about Benning not willing to accept a lowball offer. No one is saying he should have accepted last minute low balls from Dallas/Chicago. They are saying he should have accepted the decent offer that was on the table before those lowball offers were tendered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad