Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Dan Hamhuis (2 years, $3.750M AAV)

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I'm no fan of Benning. I want him fired ASAP. I just don't think he's q complete idiot.

So we've got a Stars source (as already mentioned no love lost there) says they offered a decent package and then tried to fleece Benning because he asked for more because he didn't immediately accept. Even if it is true, accepting a ridiculous lowball offer when he's already go a reputation for being a bit of a push over would make his position completely untenable and he would be fired soon enough.

Yeah, it's a bit of "who said what" issue here, but it's not some run-of-the-mill fan conjuring up nonsense. That said, it's kind of silly to even presume that the Stars would have approached the Canucks initially with an offer much inferior than what Calgary ended up getting seeing that Hamhuis is the better d-man than Russell. That report is as legitimate as it gets unless proven otherwise, and whether you want to believe Benning or the Stars' official is really your choice.

End result is that Benning lost Hamhuis for nothing.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm no fan of Benning. I want him fired ASAP. I just don't think he's q complete idiot.

So we've got a Stars source (as already mentioned no love lost there) says they offered a decent package and then tried to fleece Benning because he asked for more because he didn't immediately accept. Even if it is true, accepting a ridiculous lowball offer when he's already go a reputation for being a bit of a push over would make his position completely untenable and he would be fired soon enough.

What difference does it make that it was a Stars source? If anybody on our side cared about it they wouldn't have traded Derek Roy for a 2nd and Connauton. Without a clear motive there's no reason to doubt the source and the NHL is such an old boys club that kind of media smear doesn't happen ever.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Yes like Eriksson Lucic Backes Ladd Okposo??????

We got cap space and a 30 goal scorer so there's that?

Ohhh and what did you guys get for Demers Russell and Goligoski exactly???

We got a 5th for Goligoski

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Yeah, it's a bit of "who said what" issue here, but it's not some run-of-the-mill fan conjuring up nonsense. That said, it's kind of silly to even presume that the Stars would have approached the Canucks initially with an offer much inferior than what Calgary ended up getting seeing that Hamhuis is the better d-man than Russell. That report is as legitimate as it gets unless proven otherwise, and whether you want to believe Benning or the Stars' official is really your choice.

End result is that Benning lost Hamhuis for nothing.

uhm according to the article you posted, its the ownership's fault that they lost Hamhuis for nothing. Not Benning.

BC Ben

Mar 26, 2010
True North
Another wasted asset by Benning. He's been brutal tossing in 2nds for his guys and then all the contract extensions/new contracts for guys that haven't even played enough on the team to warrant them (Dorsett, Pizzaman, Sutter).

This is one of the worst ones however as he (and the organization) is at fault for letting Hammer go for nothing. And lying to the STHs about no less.

Pathetic.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't like a lot of the signings today, but this one is great. Only 2 years at a very reasonable cap hit. Hamhuis is still a good D man.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
Oh my goodness, the Canucks/Benning/Linden/ownership are such a joke. My team, but complete incompetence. They went from Presidents Trophy to a joke franchise (again) in record time...

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Gorgeous contract Stars fans. He is such a solid, solid d-man who will shore up your d-core. Would have loved him at this price. ****ing Benning.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Well played Aquillini & mgmt of Vancouver. Nothing is better than something according to your logic.

Good luck in Dallas Hammer.

pullyoursocksup

Jun 30, 2009
Best signing of the day. This guy is still a top-4 defenseman and great character guy to have for a playoff run. Well done stars management.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
slightly more that I'd want to pay but still one of the better signings on the day

Don't be so cheap. You got one of the best deals of the day. He could have easily gotten more money on another team. He will show you what he's made of this season. He played a lot better after coming back from his injury.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Benning didn't lose an asset. Hamhuis looked done to start last season, then returned to the vacant number one role. He played well for twenty games on a doomed team. It's easy to briefly look like the best defenseman on a depleted roster playing out a failed campaign. He might be done (like dinner).

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Benning didn't lose an asset. Hamhuis looked done to start last season, then returned to the vacant number one role. He played well for twenty games on a doomed team. It's easy to briefly look like the best defenseman on a depleted roster playing out a failed campaign. He might be done (like dinner).

This is actually the first time I've heard anyone say anything like this.

Would you be upset then, if you re-signed him?

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
This is actually the first time I've heard anyone say anything like this.

Would you be upset then, if you re-signed him?

Read some of his posts in the Canucks forum before taking him seriously.

Most Canucks fans who aren't all in on the tank bandwagon would be more than happy to have Hammer back in the line up for basically the same amount we are paying Sbisa. Preferably after we jettison Sbisa, but I doubt anyone is taking that contract on for free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad