Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Dan Hamhuis (2 years, $3.750M AAV)

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
The Stars didn't try to fleece Benning because "he asked for more because he didn't immediately accept". They withdrew their offer and gave it to Calgary after it was clear they were dealing with ownership meddling and they were running out of time with Calgary. Read the source that was provided. If it doesn't make sense then read it again.

Here is Elliot Friedman's take:

You can either choose to believe that poor little Benning just got lowballed by everyone or that your terrible GM mismanaged the deadline and ownership meddling contributed to it. Given that he got literally nothing back for anyone in a year where his team placed 28th overall I will choose to believe the latter.

I cannot understand why you and some other Canucks fans keep coming back to the company line about Benning not willing to accept a lowball offer. No one is saying he should have accepted last minute low balls from Dallas/Chicago. They are saying he should have accepted the decent offer that was on the table before those lowball offers were tendered.

Who's saying Benning didn't accept the initial offers? I would assume he felt they were fair if he was taking them up the chain of command, aqualinis screwed Jim over (and Dallas as well seeing as they lost in the second round).

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Read some of his posts in the Canucks forum before taking him seriously.

Most Canucks fans who aren't all in on the tank bandwagon would be more than happy to have Hammer back in the line up for basically the same amount we are paying Sbisa. Preferably after we jettison Sbisa, but I doubt anyone is taking that contract on for free.

As a third pairing guy though.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Would have been nice to get assets, but compounding the mistake by re-signing him wouldn't have helped, even at this price. Doesn't really matter what other contracts we have. If he does well in Dallas, cool, but he's looked toast for years now.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Would have been nice to get assets, but compounding the mistake by re-signing him wouldn't have helped, even at this price. Doesn't really matter what other contracts we have. If he does well in Dallas, cool, but he's looked toast for years now.

To be fair, the Canucks were one of the worst teams for most of last year. They looked AHL-calibre.

I would bet Hamhuis looks a lot better in Dallas.

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
So he he didn't waive to Dallas last year why again ?

again, he DID waive to go to dallas.

then dallas offered the same package to vancouver that they offered calgary for russell, but the canucks turned it down.

depending on who you believe in the media, benning supposedly agreed to do the trade in principal, but aquilini shot down that idea and told benning to press for a bigger payout, because of the blood feud between aquilini and tom gaglardi.

jim nill balked at the raised asking price, and offered the same package to calgary for their second choice, russell. the flames agreed. the stars, still hoping to make lemons out of lemonade and get their guy, made one last ditch low-ball effort in hopes of getting hamhuis from a canuck team that was running out of time and options to unload an expiring contract. it was rejected, and then turned into a whole ordeal about the stars changing their offer at the last second... again, depending on which media source you believe.

russell flamed out (no pun intended). hamhuis stood by his opinion that if vancouver didn't have a place for him, dallas would be his first choice, and got here as soon as he possibly could, given the ownership feud.

at least that's how i've come to understand the situation, so don't bite my head off if you heard a different version.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I agree, good deal. Not too long term and not bad AAV.
Decent replacement for Gologiski.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
After the Campbell deal, this is probably the best one. Needless to say, I do not approve, would have been a lot better if you kept Russell...

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Benning continues to destroy this team.....

Good job Dallas...
When they get bishop, They're stanley cup bound

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
again, he DID waive to go to dallas.

then dallas offered the same package to vancouver that they offered calgary for russell, but the canucks turned it down.

depending on who you believe in the media, benning supposedly agreed to do the trade in principal, but aquilini shot down that idea and told benning to press for a bigger payout, because of the blood feud between aquilini and tom gaglardi.

jim nill balked at the raised asking price, and offered the same package to calgary for their second choice, russell. the flames agreed. the stars, still hoping to make lemons out of lemonade and get their guy, made one last ditch low-ball effort in hopes of getting hamhuis from a canuck team that was running out of time and options to unload an expiring contract. it was rejected, and then turned into a whole ordeal about the stars changing their offer at the last second... again, depending on which media source you believe.

russell flamed out (no pun intended). hamhuis stood by his opinion that if vancouver didn't have a place for him, dallas would be his first choice, and got here as soon as he possibly could, given the ownership feud.

at least that's how i've come to understand the situation, so don't bite my head off if you heard a different version.

And that is why the Vancouver ownership is killing the team slowly (well pretty much killed it now). Too much hands on and not letting Benning do a full rebuild like he wants to do. Those were pretty much the stories that leaked around Vancouver over the past few months and makes me less and less interested in the team when I see them just wanting to get the 2 playoff revenue games and knocked out first round rather than build for the future contender.

Anyways good deal for Hamhuis, hopefully he can play and be a leader and top player for the Stars. Bummer to see him leave but thats life I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad