Rumor: D Mike Green willing to be traded to SJ + other team

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Please quote cause I have seen zero back-peddling thus far.

The Sharks traded away players, got no players back in return, didn't trade any picks or futures for players, and then signed two 4th liners in free agency.

That's how rebuilding teams handle the off-season. There is zero doubt in my mind that Wilson has no intention of competing this year. My bet is between now and the deadline we see him also move Kennedy, Burish, Niemi, and probably Thornton and Marleau (if and when the Sharks are not in a playoff spot come deadline). I honestly don't think Wilson even want's to make the playoffs this season.

1. actions speak louder than words, I don't need to quote him
2. they traded away dead weight. players that had ZERO value to the team. in fact this is what CONTENDING teams do, not rebuilding. The only impact player they lost was Dan Boyle, a 38 year old declining player, something other CONTENDERS would've done similar.
3. GMs don't choose whether or not they make the playoffs, their job is to get the most amount of wins possible, period. If he wants to lose, he may as well just fire himself right now.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Please quote cause I have seen zero back-peddling thus far.

The Sharks traded away players, got no players back in return, didn't trade any picks or futures for players, and then signed two 4th liners in free agency.

That's how rebuilding teams handle the off-season. There is zero doubt in my mind that Wilson has no intention of competing this year. My bet is between now and the deadline we see him also move Kennedy, Burish, Niemi, and probably Thornton and Marleau (if and when the Sharks are not in a playoff spot come deadline). I honestly don't think Wilson even want's to make the playoffs this season.

Except DW rarely ever makes any signings early in free agency. I think he'll make a trade or two before the season starts, we'll see some invites to camp, he'll clear out some of the excess 4th liners, and maybe move Niemi if he can for a good price. Jumbo and Patty are in limbo, I think whether he moves them or not depends on how the team is doing around mid season and at the deadline. When he started using the term "retool" he claimed he wasn't going to make trades to bring in anything, but then brought in Torres because he said the team earned it. I think we're in for a similar situation, trying to light a fire under this team's butt while cutting away at the excess baggage.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You could probably get someone like Yandle for what it would take to get Green and he's a much better overall player.

If he's a much better overall player, chances are that it would take much more to get him...this is especially true when it would be coming from a team within our division. I sincerely doubt that Yandle is a legitimate option for the Sharks to trade for.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would legitimately rage if the 4th liner he got rid of was Desjardins.

I don't think there's a good reason to be that upset over it if it occurred. Desi, as much as I like the guy and believe he's a glue guy, is probably the most replaceable player in our regular lineup. If it's a trade that makes sense that either makes the team better now or gets the team a quality young asset, I'd be fine with it. As long as it's not Desi for a 3rd or 4th round pick as that would be absolutely pointless with what he makes and brings to the team.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
2. they traded away dead weight. players that had ZERO value to the team. in fact this is what CONTENDING teams do, not rebuilding. The only impact player they lost was Dan Boyle, a 38 year old declining player, something other CONTENDERS would've done similar.
3. GMs don't choose whether or not they make the playoffs, their job is to get the most amount of wins possible, period. If he wants to lose, he may as well just fire himself right now.

And replaced them with 4th liners and AHL players.

Nothing DW has done this off-season, including his very clear and direct quotes (over and over again) indicate he plans on next years team being better than last years. In fact all his actions point to a team which he clearly intends to be worse.

For instance, why would he have spoken to Thornton and Marleau about a trade (which Wilson, Thornton and Marleau have all confirmed) if he planned to improve the team? He's not going to go "oh, they don't want to leave, guess we'll contend again". Now that would be stupid.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't think there's a good reason to be that upset over it if it occurred. Desi, as much as I like the guy and believe he's a glue guy, is probably the most replaceable player in our regular lineup. If it's a trade that makes sense that either makes the team better now or gets the team a quality young asset, I'd be fine with it. As long as it's not Desi for a 3rd or 4th round pick as that would be absolutely pointless with what he makes and brings to the team.

Well obviously so but my thinking is this: Desjardins>>>>Scott, Brown, Burish. Maybe Kennedy too, I dunno.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011

Well it is a bit of a mixed bag. Doug Wilson has turned over half the blue line in one season. Tons of risk there, enough to knock the sharks out of the playoff picture. What he has done so far indicates a quick rebuild, 1 to 2 years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well obviously so but my thinking is this: Desjardins>>>>Scott, Brown, Burish. Maybe Kennedy too, I dunno.

Absolutely but Desi likely carries marginally more value in a trade than the others do. I can see teams being interested in parting with something decent in value for him whereas the other guys we would be lucky, with the exception of Kennedy, to get a 5th round pick or later.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Absolutely but Desi likely carries marginally more value in a trade than the others do. I can see teams being interested in parting with something decent in value for him whereas the other guys we would be lucky, with the exception of Kennedy, to get a 5th round pick or later.

I don't think so. I think his value is similar to Scott Nichol, while he was active. I think a fourth would be right on the money for Desi. And that would probably be generous.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think so. I think his value is similar to Scott Nichol, while he was active. I think a fourth would be right on the money for Desi. And that would probably be generous.

In which case it would be pointless as I said with what he brings and how much he makes. The other guys are more or less addition by subtraction at this point.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
DW has done nothing but double-speak and backpeddle since that rebuild interview. We aren't rebuilding. At least not the "tank for lottery picks" way.

Just b/c he isn't doing a firesale this offseason (forcing players to waive NMCs and dumping them for bad returns) doesn't mean he isn't following his form of a rebuild.

Like you said, actions speak louder than words. We have 2 big holes - 2nd pairing LD and a 2nd line winger. Had DW been in "go for it" mode we would have surely been in on Ehrhoff and Vrbata.

We weren't.

He is just slow cooking this rebuild. I wouldn't be surprised if Joe or Patty are traded in a year - at the deadline or next offseason.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Mike Green before his injurys was amazing. If he could get anywhere close to that again he would be our best offensive Dman.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Are we really missing a 2nd line winger? Lines and combos aren't important for this conversation, but isn't this our top 6?

Hertl / Thornton / Pavelski
Marleau / Couture / Nieto

Sure but I still prefer Pavelski as our 3C. Then we'd be stronger down the middle and able to roll 3 scoring lines. Having that as our top 6 means we're weak at 3C.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Are we really missing a 2nd line winger? Lines and combos aren't important for this conversation, but isn't this our top 6?

I wouldn't say that they're missing a 2nd line winger but I don't think you'll see a line like Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski. There's not enough skating speed on that line. I think swapping Hertl and Nieto, even though that 2nd line was certainly effective, may get the most out of all involved there.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California

Sure but I still prefer Pavelski as our 3C. Then we'd be stronger down the middle and able to roll 3 scoring lines. Having that as our top 6 means we're weak at 3C.

I'd love to see Hertl get more time at Center since he is our future #1 (hopefully). And if both Joes are going to be on the roster next season, I'd want to keep them together. If DW could acquire a player like R. Smith from the Bruins, I'd be stoked!

Marleau-Logan-Nieto
Pavs-Thornton-Smith
Shep-Hertl-Wingles
Torres-Desi-McGinn/Brown/Kennedy/Burrish/Scott

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I'd love to see Hertl get more time at Center since he is our future #1 (hopefully). And if both Joes are going to be on the roster next season, I'd want to keep them together. If DW could acquire a player like R. Smith from the Bruins, I'd be stoked!

Marleau-Logan-Nieto
Pavs-Thornton-Smith
Shep-Hertl-Wingles
Torres-Desi-McGinn/Brown/Kennedy/Burish/Scott

If Smith is fast, sure.

DW must be looking to deal those 2 (in bold).

Kennedy for a 3rd (to replace the one we traded)
Burish for a 6th

Still need a 2nd LD...

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

Marleau-Logan-Nieto
Pavs-Thornton-Smith
Shep-Hertl-Wingles
Torres-Desi-McGinn/Brown/Kennedy/Burrish/Scott

Except remember, DW wants a youth movement (still no clue why he signed Scott/Brown but...).

So I think something like --

Marleau - Logan - Hertl
Pavs - Thornton - Nieto
Shep - Tierney - Wingels
Torres - Desi - Kennedy (or McGinn)

That third line could be rough but...

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I have a feeling that the organization is at least considering putting Burns at LD since he is a better goal scorer on the off side and he has played there before.

Assuming we got green and a bottom pairing guy (I always use Clitsome cause he is a good example)

Vlasic-Green
Burns-Braun
Clitsome-Demers

That could end up being one of the most productive defenses in the nhl. Would the depth be able to make up for the lack of a true #1 Norris level D? Maybe, or maybe one of green or Vlasic would play at the level of a true #1D if they were partnered together. If we can get him as a buy low, he may be worth the shot.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Pretty sure the Capitals are trying to make the playoffs. So Green probably stays at least until the trade deadline.

Unless they get Marleau/Thornton. I don't believe Marleau or Thornton will move until the deadline anyways. Maybe even not this year.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
For the right price, sure, but IMO not a player to reach for. This staff should be able to integrate a player of Green's abilities in a positive manner.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Green would be interesting if he's healthy. Given he had a bad season and their are questions on his health and he's got only 1 year on this contract i'd want to send them Burish and Kennedy. They are good depth players out east and that it's a close cap swap.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Green would be interesting if he's healthy. Given he had a bad season and their are questions on his health and he's got only 1 year on this contract i'd want to send them Burish and Kennedy. They are good depth players out east and that it's a close cap swap.

Saying that a 38 point season in 70 games is a bad year is really saying something though about his offensive capabilities. I do agree though that health and the contract is a concern.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I have a feeling that the organization is at least considering putting Burns at LD since he is a better goal scorer on the off side and he has played there before.

Assuming we got green and a bottom pairing guy (I always use Clitsome cause he is a good example)

Vlasic-Green
Burns-Braun
Clitsome-Demers

That could end up being one of the most productive defenses in the nhl. Would the depth be able to make up for the lack of a true #1 Norris level D? Maybe, or maybe one of green or Vlasic would play at the level of a true #1D if they were partnered together. If we can get him as a buy low, he may be worth the shot.

Not sure i like the idea of Mike Green as a top pair guy if his D really is that bad. Even with Vlasic, I don't like the idea of a pylon on the top pair facing tough competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad