Rumor: D Mike Green willing to be traded to SJ + other team

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
>Sharks fans want to improve our defensive core
>complain about a rumor involving a former 2 time Norris finalist and 2 time 70 point scorer

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
33 points in 57 games.

With atrocious defensive play, and I'm guessing a lot of PP-scoring to boot.

Mike Green's #1 asset, ahead of any others, is his skating. Find a way to bottle that up, and he is done. His other best asset, his wrist shot, has been neutralized at ES with the way the game is nowadays.

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
>Sharks fans want to improve our defensive core
>complain about a rumor involving a former 2 time Norris finalist and 2 time 70 point scorer

I'm not doubting his offensive ability, but he's been a liability defensively and the caps have sheltered his minutes. I'd rather spend the assets it would take to acquire him (he likely won't be cheap) and try to acquire a more well rounded defenseman, such as Yandle or Leddy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He's not the former Norris nominated level d-man he was before but he's not chopped liver either and his defensive issues are way overblown. It's his injury concerns that is probably the biggest reason to avoid him now plus our current stock of d-men on the right side doesn't make it that much of a need to go after him. The next concern is his contract being up after this season. Unless he really bombs out, he's probably still going to make 6 mil or more somewhere long term and I probably wouldn't invest in him long term with the injury concerns.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Aka all players who are still playing at Norris competition levels.

aka all players that have absolutely zero chance of being traded from their respective teams. Mike Green is still capable of putting up 50 point seasons and can be had relatively cheap according to the rumors. The Caps have very little incentive to keep him right now.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
the question is, who would we be trading?

Kennedy, Sheppard, and a pick?
idk I would take him, but just don't want to give up much.
I sort of like the idea of moving Burns back to fwd if this happens. DW just back pedals everything lol

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He's no less an injury liability than Crosby.

Crosby is a much more valuable player where that risk isn't as much of a concern. Crosby is the best player in the league. Green is not close to being one of the best d-men in the league right now.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Moving Burns back to forward wouldn't be a bad idea. He wasn't very effective in the playoffs, which is why I think DW wanted him back on Defense. Or we could do something like what Gilligan posted.

Vlasic - Burns
Braun - Green
Irwin - Demers

Crosby is a much more valuable player where that risk isn't as much of a concern. Crosby is the best player in the league. Green is not close to being one of the best d-men in the league right now.

Mike Green is only 28 and I don't think any of the injuries he sustained were career-altering.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
But then there's no younger players for John Scott to protect at forward or defense.

Though, it would be fun to go into a rebuild with one of the best lineups filled with veterans from top to bottom.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Mike Green is only 28 and I don't think any of the injuries he sustained were career-altering.

Yet he's still not close to being one of the best d-men in the league so whether the injuries are career-altering or not, it's an issue of durability for a guy that you're not going to rely on against top competition. Combine that with his contract being up after the upcoming season, it makes it a larger risk than someone like Crosby who is much better and signed for a longer term.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Green would be good for any team but it all depends on what you have to pay to get him.

If the caps are asking for full value then no thanks, if they just want say a 2nd rounder and a non top 6/4 potential prospect then I think a lot of people would listen.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Since this "rebuild" is completely stupid and not really a rebuild the Sharks should do this if hes coming back cheap.

Any word on Demers these days?

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
I don't see Green coming to SJ and I don't think we have what it would take to get him. Nor would I want to trade for such a defensive liability. If you want to trade for an offensive minded defenseman there are better options.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Since this "rebuild" is completely stupid and not really a rebuild the Sharks should do this if hes coming back cheap.

Any word on Demers these days?

DW has done nothing but double-speak and backpeddle since that rebuild interview. We aren't rebuilding. At least not the "tank for lottery picks" way.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
The Sharks will field the first ever hockey team comprised entirely of C's, RD's, and worthless enforcers. Sorry Wingels, you're awesome but you're none of those 3 so you're out!

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
DW has done nothing but double-speak and backpeddle since that rebuild interview. We aren't rebuilding. At least not the "tank for lottery picks" way.

Would be cool to see a chronological history of his statements since then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad