Rumor: D Mike Green willing to be traded to SJ + other team

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't see Green coming to SJ and I don't think we have what it would take to get him. Nor would I want to trade for such a defensive liability. If you want to trade for an offensive minded defenseman there are better options.

There are better options supposedly available for offensive d-men than Mike Green? I'd be happy to hear who they are.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
DW has done nothing but double-speak and backpeddle since that rebuild interview. We aren't rebuilding. At least not the "tank for lottery picks" way.

Have I missed an interview or something?

I would have said his message has been quite simple and clear throughout. Fans getting impatient doesn't count as backpeddling - deals have to be made when they present the best return, surely.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Would be cool to see a chronological history of his statements since then.

I especially love the "Oh yeah that player who I was referring to that I said "we want players to play here, not live here", yeah that was someone that wasn't even on our roster last season."

Gigante

Sep 12, 2011
I'd be down to see this happen and I'd probably move Burns back to forward. It's not my dream transaction, but I'd be cool with it. :handclap:

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'd be down to see this happen and I'd probably move Burns back to forward. It's not my dream transaction, but I'd be cool with it. :handclap:

"We felt we brought in Burns to play forward. He's our version of the Carters and the Pacioretty's." -DW going back on his word.

I would like Green, if this was 2010.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
There are better options supposedly available for offensive d-men than Mike Green? I'd be happy to hear who they are.

You could probably get someone like Yandle for what it would take to get Green and he's a much better overall player.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
You could probably get someone like Yandle for what it would take to get Green and he's a much better overall player.

Green would likely cost a 2nd rounder and a mid tier prospect/roster forward (like Tyler Kennedy).

Yandle's rumored asking price is a 1st and a high tier prospect +.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)

Not really. Arizona doesn't have cap issues to contend with (unless there's a self imposed cap limit), and Yandle has a better cap hit, doesn't have a no trade clause and not a history of injury like Green. Yandle would likely cost us Pavelski, but there's no way we'd be sending Pavs to Washington for Green.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
Green would likely cost a 2nd rounder and a mid tier prospect/roster forward (like Tyler Kennedy).

Yandle's rumored asking price is a 1st and a high tier prospect +.

GM GM isn't running the Caps anymore; I don't think their new GM would be suckered into trading Green for that meager sum.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
He'd be worth a bit more if his contract didn't expire in one year.

If we are gonna go a different route with our Goaltenders I'd dangle Niemi for him personally. Not sure how the Caps feel about Holtby being their starter but they wouldn't have traded for Halak last season if he was definitely going to be their guy.

If everything I've read about him having the Sharks as one of his desired destinations I don't see why he wouldn't want to re-sign with us after his contract expires, and DW does a pretty good job at keeping players happy and retaining them for a hometown discount.

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
I'm not a fan of Mike Green, and we don't need a RHD....that being said.

* His #'s going down, especially that +/-, are also linked to how the Capitals performed (and his own weaknesses as a player).
* What other viable D options are out there via trade, let alone ones with his offensive upside?
* I do think he can improve his game, he's only 28, and if LR can't make it happen, nobody can.
* If acquring him included WSH taking Kennedy or Burish off of our hands (Green = 6.08 mil - Kennedy 2.35 mil or Burish 1.85mil), and we get Green for basically 3.73mil or 4.23mil since we shed their salary (and IMO a worthles F roster spot), I'd be hard pressed not to make that trade.
* Even if that trade was made, I wouldn't move Burns back up to F unless a F is injured midseason
* I'd also still be looking to aquire a LH PMD, but I would be more inclined to wait until the trade deadline for a Cup run.

Trading for Green is an option that should be explored, no doubt...but unless it rids us of Burish or Kennedy (and maybe a pick/prospect), I'd be hard pressed to make it. However, Washington will want more than one of those chucklebunnies & a prospect/pick

Last edited:

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
He'd be worth a bit more if his contract didn't expire in one year.

If we are gonna go a different route with our Goaltenders I'd dangle Niemi for him personally. Not sure how the Caps feel about Holtby being their starter but they wouldn't have traded for Halak last season if he was definitely going to be their guy.

If everything I've read about him having the Sharks as one of his desired destinations I don't see why he wouldn't want to re-sign with us after his contract expires, and DW does a pretty good job at keeping players happy and retaining them for a hometown discount.

Do you have other articles that mention this? The only one I've seen is in this thread and it's just speculating that we could be interested in him and could absorb his salary.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
* His #'s going down, especially that +/-, are also linked to how the Capitals (and his own weaknesses as a player).

I'd attribute the declining numbers to the revolving door of inept coaches the Caps have gone thru post Boudreau. I don't think he was being used by them effectively.

Do you have other articles that mention this? The only one I've seen is in this thread and it's just speculating that we could be interested in him and could absorb his salary.

None, just speculation, hence the If.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
DW has done nothing but double-speak and backpeddle since that rebuild interview. We aren't rebuilding. At least not the "tank for lottery picks" way.

Please quote cause I have seen zero back-peddling thus far.

The Sharks traded away players, got no players back in return, didn't trade any picks or futures for players, and then signed two 4th liners in free agency.

That's how rebuilding teams handle the off-season. There is zero doubt in my mind that Wilson has no intention of competing this year. My bet is between now and the deadline we see him also move Kennedy, Burish, Niemi, and probably Thornton and Marleau (if and when the Sharks are not in a playoff spot come deadline). I honestly don't think Wilson even want's to make the playoffs this season.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Please quote cause I have seen zero back-peddling thus far.

The Sharks traded away players, got no players back in return, didn't trade any picks or futures for players, and then signed two 4th liners in free agency.

That's how rebuilding teams handle the off-season. There is zero doubt in my mind that Wilson has no intention of competing this year. My bet is between now and the deadline we see him also move Kennedy, Burish, Niemi, and probably Thornton and Marleau (if and when the Sharks are not in a playoff spot come deadline). I honestly don't think Wilson even want's to make the playoffs this season.

They traded a 3rd for McGinn just to be pedantic. :laugh:

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
The Sharks will field the first ever hockey team comprised entirely of C's, RD's, and worthless enforcers. Sorry Wingels, you're awesome but you're none of those 3 so you're out!

Wingels is a C playing out of position. So he still fits.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
You really don't think the Caps would take a 2nd rounder for a player they don't want and have no intentions of signing when his contract is up?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ls-hope-to-help-get-mike-green-back-on-track/

GM MacLellan expects Niskanen, John Carlson and Green to play on the right side, leaving Karl Alzner, Dmitry Orlov and Orpik manning the left.

The possibility remains that Green could be a solid deadline trade chip, an expiring contract dealt to a fringe postseason contender seeking one final boost. But for now, MacLellan left nothing uncertain: Green is part of the Capitals, and they plan to keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad