Rumor: D Mike Green willing to be traded to SJ + other team

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Too bad we got no room on the right side. So I doubt it'll happen but let's see. This is about as interesting of an offseason we'll ever get.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I wouldn't call this a rumor, more speculation on the writers part about SJ being short on defense.

Either way, the last thing the Sharks need is another right shooting d-man unless they move Burns back to wing. Though if healthy I like Green.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I wouldn't call this a rumor, more speculation on the writers part about SJ being short on defense.

Either way, the last thing the Sharks need is another right shooting d-man unless they move Burns back to wing. Though if healthy I like Green.

Except that Green has Sharks on his list of "teams willing to be traded to"?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

I would have no problem with it, gives us options:

Vlasic - Burns
Braun - Green
Mueller/Albetshauser - Demers

Still end up with most of our offense on the right side, but it's still a very good D group.

The issue is Wilson is clearly trying not to contend, and clearly trying to get rid of Thornton (and probably Marleau). Signing Green likely would indicate an intention to contend immediately which would ruin those plans. While some around here would love that, Wilson needs to stay the course, it would destroy his credibility to back track at this point. I can't see them bringing Green in unless it is part of the Thornton/Marleau trade itself.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

It doesn't really say that, it says his list of teams would be limited by cap space and then lists teams with cap space and in need (including us). It doesn't actually say Green has us on his list.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

I didn't see anything that said Green has SJ on his list, just speculation from Khan that if he is traded and invokes his limited NTC that they (along with Detroit and Dallas) could be on it unless I missed something that lists out what teams he would be willing to go to.

It doesn't really matter anyway, I highly doubt Green is on DW's radar.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I would have no problem with it, gives us options:

Vlasic - Burns
Braun - Green
Mueller/Albetshauser - Demers

Still end up with most of our offense on the right side, but it's still a very good D group.

The issue is Wilson is clearly trying not to contend, and clearly trying to get rid of Thornton (and probably Marleau). Signing Green likely would indicate an intention to contend immediately which would ruin those plans. While some around here would love that, Wilson needs to stay the course, it would destroy his credibility to back track at this point. I can't see them bringing Green in unless it is part of the Thornton/Marleau trade itself.

It still depends on what we'd give up. Green is still a relatively young guy and he could potentially be with the team for the long haul.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
6enQwWj.gif

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
It still depends on what we'd give up. Green is still a relatively young guy and he could potentially be with the team for the long haul.

Yeah, Green could be a good buy low. He's 28 so he'd be the right age to mesh with the younger players.

Move Burns back to forward and flip Demers for a 1st or high 2nd?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, Green could be a good buy low. He's 28 so he'd be the right age to mesh with the younger players.

Move Burns back to forward and flip Demers for a 1st or high 2nd?

If you move Burns back to forward and flip Demers, you're short a d-man on the right side unless you're assuming Tennyson steps up. And with a seemingly probable spot on the left side for Mueller or Abeltshauser, I don't think that'd be a good way to go.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Would love to have Green. He is an excellent trigger on the PP, makes a nice first pass, and is (just) under 30. Not good defensively, and aside from Vlasic, who I want playing with Burns or Braun, we don't have someone who can support him. It would take acquiring another player to cover for him, which would be a pain in the ass.

If we move Burish, 4 of the 7 eldest Sharks will be gone (not counting Kearns), and the team will not likely replace them with players of an equivalent age- I don't consider Scott terribly relevant, even though he is roughly Burish's age.

Green replaces Boyle (Sharks get nine years younger)
Mueller replaces Stuart (Sharks get 15 years younger)
Tennyson replaces Hannan (Sharks get 11 years younger)

McGinn replaces Burish (Sharks get 8 years younger)
Niemi traded, replaced by a guy like Reimer (Sharks get 5 years younger)
Goldobin replaces Havlat (Sharks get 13 years younger)
Hamilton replaces Kennedy (Sharks get 5 years younger)

Obviously, not all these would happen this year, but these moves/similar ones make the team 66 years younger, an average of a little less than three years per player. Average age fromstats.nhlnumbers.com shows a spread of 30-26.5 (I dropped NJD- huge outlier). Those three years would drop a team from 2nd oldest to fourth youngest.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Green is a former Norris finalist, something the Sharks have not had since Blake. He's not perfect defensively but he's still better than Letang or Karlsson and maybe even Boyle at it.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
If you move Burns back to forward and flip Demers, you're short a d-man on the right side unless you're assuming Tennyson steps up. And with a seemingly probable spot on the left side for Mueller or Abeltshauser, I don't think that'd be a good way to go.

You're right. That doesn't make sense.

Wonder what it would take? A 2nd and a prospect?

Vlasic - Burns
Braun - Green
Irwin - Demers

Is a good young defense.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Green is a former Norris finalist, something the Sharks have not had since Blake. He's not perfect defensively but he's still better than Letang or Karlsson and maybe even Boyle at it.

No, he's not better than any of those 3. He's an out and out disaster in his own end.

Rather have MDZ (at the salary he would get)

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011

:shakehead

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
A player with health problems, defensive-zone issues, work-ethic issues, and a history of being a liability in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad