Confirmed with Link: Crawford signs with Devils

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
steve-cangialosi.jpg

I am nervous about Fitz I think hes completely desperate. You can't flip picks forever and just sign value deals.

Are we playing to win or simply to run a business with a good balance sheet?

I hate the new owners and Im nervous about where this franchise is going. So upset.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
That's that Seinfeld bit, 'the players keep changing so aren't sports fans really just rooting for the jerseys'.

If we're not winning with the guys we have then the only way to win is to get new guys. You can't wait Schneider to get his mojo back, or Mueller to become a top2 dman forever.

To me it's hard to hate this signing, the only real argument is that we are 2-3 years away from being competitive and should just focus on tanking and acquire players we can flip to picks on the deadline. But personally I'd rather see the kids win few games and build some confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I am nervous about Fitz I think hes completely desperate. You can't flip picks forever and just sign value deals.

I hate the new owners and Im nervous about where this franchise is going. So upset.

Ironically, this team seemed to play better with the “call-ups” the past two seasons. The Bingo Devils were lights outs before Covid-19 canceled the season. Additionally, with only two moves he significantly improved the Devils outlook. Lastly, I think any feelings of apprehension can be contributed to the current world climate. What is the best way to plan for an unknown future? (I would love for next season to start ASAP but it’s currently impossible due to border restrictions.)Plus, they have to simultaneously prepare for an expansion draft. Good Luck Fitzy..

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Thinking about this, I know Schneider was cooked, but I don't think Crawford is far off. He is pretty terrible too. I may have rather just held on to Schneider for two years. I guess we save actual cash, which is likely the biggest concern going into the next season or two.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Assuming there's no NMC on this one, so Crawford is theoretically eligible for expansion. I think that explains the high AAV. It's a lot but the Devils have the room in the next two years.
Agree we needed to sign a backup to get a good mentor is a bonus....they did overpay but as long as he's expansion draft eligible it's a good sign.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Thinking about this, I know Schneider was cooked, but I don't think Crawford is far off. He is pretty terrible too. I may have rather just held on to Schneider for two years. I guess we save actual cash, which is likely the biggest concern going into the next season or two.

Schneider the last four years - .908, .907, .903, .887
Crawford the last four years - .918, .929, .908, .917

And supposedly Chicago's defense is even worse than ours, or at least on our level. I really don't get anyone who says there's no appreciable difference. He's on a two-year deal while we have cap space, if he falls off there's no big long-term consequence from it and he's got a long way to go to fall off to Cory level. Really the biggest issue is if (when) he gets hurt again they'll need a decent vet goalie in the AHL to be a #3.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think NHL and sports in general got so diluted and over parityed to the point teams focus went into trading/drafting/recycling as oppose to winning a cup.

Ummm, you do those first things to accomplish the second thing. And if you do those first two right, you'll have more of a chance at CONSISTENTLY doing the second thing instead of just going all in one year and being done after that.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Jesus

He's without a doubt better than Schneider, he played very well behind one of the leagues worst defenses last year and was .917 when the average was around .905. He's not going to be around for 10 years but he's not close to cooked. The Devils now have a top half of the league tandem because of this signing.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Is that possible? I guess it would taking him flat out and then covering salary and then trading him.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Huh?

January 5 games .930 2.02
February 10 games .927 2.56
March 5 games .927 2.25

Playoffs

Game 1 Win 25/29 .862
Game 2 Loss 29/35 .829
Game 3 Win 25/28 .893
Game 4 Win 43/45 .956 Hawks upset Oilers to win series

Now I know they lost to Vegas, but in the one win they had he saved 48 out of 49 shots in Game 4

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Huh?

January 5 games .930 2.02
February 10 games .927 2.56
March 5 games .927 2.25

Playoffs

Game 1 Win 25/29 .862
Game 2 Loss 29/35 .829
Game 3 Win 25/28 .893
Game 4 Win 43/45 .956 Hawks upset Oilers to win series

Now I know they lost to Vegas, but in the one win they had he saved 48 out of 49 shots in Game 4

Yeah, perhaps I'm just wrong here. For some reason I seem to remember watching him play this year thinking he looked pretty bad.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Literally what are these takes

Some of you guys are losing it

You don't win anything in free agency. How have some of you guys not realized this by now?

Reactions: Forge and Darkauron

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Am I taking crazy pills?

What are you guys talking about? Crawford is still a good goalie. Schneider isn't even an NHL player anymore. There is no comparison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad