Confirmed with Link: Crawford signs with Devils

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Is the plan to start Crow or Blackwood? I guess NJ might envision a 1a/1b scenario with Blackwood taking over the reigns when Crawford retires? I’m curious how much Crawford has left in the tank, I was surprised with how effective he was last season.
It's Blackwood's net until someone takes it from him. That being said, Schneider was historically bad the past 3 seasons, so now that they know they can ride Crawford a few games I expect a bigger split. I'd say 2:1 in favor of Blackwood.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m a little eh on it being two years, but I’m pretty excited to have him.

He’s still been effective when on the ice.

Was a bit meh in 18-19, but was still much better than Cam Ward’s cremains behind the same team.

Crawford is a hell of a lot better than Cam Talbot, but is also a few years older, so that’s the only issue. I would say Crawford was probably the best we could have done on this market, outside of maybe Khudobin.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Is the plan to start Crow or Blackwood? I guess NJ might envision a 1a/1b scenario with Blackwood taking over the reigns when Crawford retires? I’m curious how much Crawford has left in the tank, I was surprised with how effective he was last season.

Blackwood has played best in a two or three games on and one game off schedule the last couple years. Every time he starts 4+ in a row he tends to struggle a bit.

I would imagine the plan is for Blackwood to play close to 2/3 of the games and unless something goes terribly wrong no less than half of the games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Was a bit meh in 18-19, but was still much better than Cam Ward’s cremains behind the same team.

Crawford is a hell of a lot better than Cam Talbot, but is also a few years older, so that’s the only issue. I would say Crawford was probably the best we could have done on this market, outside of maybe Khudobin.

They so need a backup next season as well. Most likely too soon to ask a young guy in our system to fill that role. 2 year term is more then fine.

Reactions: Bleedred

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
As much as I wanted us to get Fluery+, it will be real nice to finally have Blackwood playing a bad game and not being worried as hell they are going with whoever is backup the next night. One goalie craps the bed on any given night? No worries, we got another capable goalie.

Reactions: glenwo2

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I forgot the expansion rules - you need either a goalie under contract or an RFA goalie to expose. It was going to be a challenge to get the second one. I think you have to be a bit wary if you are Crawford that you might be picked, as the Devils will likely not have a ton to expose.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey

Two years maybe at very least because we have to expose a goalie to Seattle? Either way we might need him for playing that second season. No idea if any of the prospects will be ready, or even ever be good enough. Daws might be ready in a couple. Senn might be passable.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I forgot the expansion rules - you need either a goalie under contract or an RFA goalie to expose. It was going to be a challenge to get the second one. I think you have to be a bit wary if you are Crawford that you might be picked, as the Devils will likely not have a ton to expose.

Doubt the Kraken are interested in picking a 36 year old goalie with 1 year to go to UFA, but I guess it's possible.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Seattle will have the same chance (according to the rules) to build their team as Vegas did. The other teams might be wiser in handling it this time though. So they won't be awful.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Crow does have recent injury history, and he was slow to return from a concussion a couple of years ago. Be mindful of that. Corey needs to be 1B goalie not 1A.

I am sad he is leaving Chicago but pleased he is not staying out west. So take care of CC and Crawford will take care of you.

Godspeed Corey and good luck to the Devils.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Doubt the Kraken are interested in picking a 36 year old goalie with 1 year to go to UFA, but I guess it's possible.

They can pick up to 5 goalies. They could draft him and then try to flip him elsewhere. We'll have to see what forwards get what contracts here but I suspect it will be slim pickings otherwise. D will be tricky, though.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
First Devil to wear #50, presumably.
new-jersey-devils-goalie-evan-cormier-tracks-the-puck-on-his-right-picture-id1168735153

Edit: was a preseason game though.. so you are still pretty much right.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Would’ve preferred Fleury and some extra assets but this is a close second. At least we don’t have the worst option in nets when Blackwood will get a night off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad