Confirmed with Link: Crawford signs with Devils

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Curious, if Crawford plays well but we're out of the playoffs when the deadline comes, and a playoff team desperately needs a goalie, can we flip him for a first and then expose Senn for the expansion draft?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Curious, if Crawford plays well but we're out of the playoffs when the deadline comes, and a playoff team desperately needs a goalie, can we flip him for a first and then expose Senn for the expansion draft?
I think if we are out of the playoffs, and you can get a first for him, you do it and figure out the draft problem later.

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He had Covid-19 shortly before the play-in and was symptomatic. Fair to say he was still recovering.

Yeah I either forgot that or just didn’t know but apparently he got better just in time for the return

What dealing with COVID-19 was like for Blackhawks' Corey Crawford

He himself didn’t use it as any kind of excuse for his playoff performance when it was brought up at his presser but even presuming 100% health by the time he got to the bubble it couldn’t have helped his game readiness to be in quarantine right before it

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Yeah I either forgot that or just didn’t know but apparently he got better just in time for the return

He himself didn’t use it as any kind of excuse for his playoff performance when it was brought up at his presser but even presuming 100% health by the time he got to the bubble it couldn’t have helped his game readiness to be in quarantine right before it

I get the sense Crawford isn't the kind of guy to make excuses in general.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

No. Gilles Senn is not eligible for the expansion draft.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

He missed the entire training camp and team practices before heading to bubble and was pretty much just inserted into the net after far less practices than everyone else had.

Of course he was rusty even if he wasnt still sick.

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
No. Gilles Senn is not eligible for the expansion draft.

Per The Athletic:

"One quick note: The Devils do need to expose a goaltender in the expansion draft after next season, but it doesn’t have to be the one who replaces Schneider. Every team must expose a goaltender who is under contract for 2021-22 or is a restricted free agent and has been tendered a qualifying offer. New Jersey will be able to expose Gilles Senn or Evan Cormier, provided the Devils offer them qualifying offers at the end of the season."

Not sure if it is true but I assume Corey Masisak did his homework.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
:laugh::laugh:

Some people will really do whatever they can do to just be negative about literally every single thing the team does. It is so amusing to me.

basing your opinion on a player on a 7-8 game sample size (in which he actually had a .907, which is ASTRONOMICALLY BETTER than our backup goalies last year) is so damn foolish
This will likely be another example of where you end up being empirically incorrect, but will still refuse to admit it.

We shall see. Like I said, not interested in anyone's opinion who didn't go watch the playoffs for a soon to be 36 year old goalie.

I'd tell @Bleedred to go watch those 9 games and report back, but I'm fearful he'd find the tallest bridge afterwards.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This will likely be another example of where you end up being empirically incorrect, but will still refuse to admit it.

We shall see. Like I said, not interested in anyone's opinion who didn't go watch the playoffs for a soon to be 36 year old goalie.

I'd tell @Bleedred to go watch those 9 games and report back, but I'm fearful he'd find the tallest bridge afterwards.

So just to be clear you are judging this entire signing on 9 games in which the player had an average or slightly above average save percentage? 9 games? Just so I'm clear.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I remember Crawford having some poor games in the playoffs and letting in some really weak goals, but sample size isn’t really on our side here.

Using those 9 games to say Crawford is cooked or bad is as wrong as using 9 games of Cory being good to rationalize that he’s really not bad. People always did it, especially with those last 16 games he played in 18-19, despite the fact that he was horrendous over a 100 game sample, which even included that stretch.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm confused. Yes, I we have to offer a goalie, but I but can't we only protect one? I think the rule is you have to offer up AT LEAST one.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I remember Crawford having some poor games in the playoffs and letting in some really weak goals, but sample size isn’t really on our side here.

Using those 9 games to say Crawford is cooked or bad is as wrong as using 9 games of Cory being good to rationalize that he’s really not bad. People always did it, especially with those last 16 games he played in 18-19, despite the fact that he was horrendous over a 100 game sample, which even included that stretch.
See, again though, context is everything. 9 games for a will be 36 year old goalie matter. Especially when his alleged amazing and incredible regular season StATs will have been from over a year ago.

Again, this is for a guy who will be 36 at the start of next season. It's almost like most of this forum has never look at goalie performance vs age trends either. Can't say I'm surprised. After all, we still have a guy (@Zajacs Bowl Cut) arguing based on save % and crap without actually watching the guy play. Sad. Peace

Oh, and I never commented on the contract or said it was a bad signing. Just that HF was overrating the hell out of him, because they are. #groupthink Contract won't really matter since only 2 years and expansion.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
See, again though, context is everything. 9 games for a will be 36 year old goalie matter. Especially when his alleged amazing and incredible regular season StATs will have been from over a year ago.

Again, this is for a guy who will be 36 at the start of next season. It's almost like most of this forum has never look at goalie performance vs age trends either. Can't say I'm surprised. After all, we still have a guy (@Zajacs Bowl Cut) arguing based on save % and crap without actually watching the guy play. Sad. Peace

Oh, and I never commented on the contract or said it was a bad signing. Just that HF was overrating the hell out of him, because they are. #groupthink
Do you think him having Covid may have played into anything?

Save percentage tracks how often the goalie is able to stop the puck. Last I checked, that was important?

Since you seemingly know better than all of us and all of the analysts who are praising this move, who should we have signed in goal? Please enlighten us.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
#groupthink Contract won't really matter since only 2 years and expansion.

How exactly is that 'groupthink' when it's fact? They were going to have to pay someone to be a 1A/1B goalie the next year or two regardless and they're extremely unlikely to have cap issues in the next two years, so no any short-term contract shouldn't be an issue unless Fitz goes full Bergevin with his cap space. This wasn't handing Markstrom or Murray some monster deal.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

Oh, and I never commented on the contract or said it was a bad signing. Just that HF was overrating the hell out of him, because they are. #groupthink Contract won't really matter since only 2 years and expansion.
Idk what you been watching but Crawford has only had a sub 910 save percentage in TWO years of his career

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

Might the fact that he missed training camp and practice before the resumption of season because of covid and then was inserted cold without practice because chicago didnt have a capable backup goalie have anything to do with it?

Camille the Eel

All this aside, what I always have loved about Crawford is how he made the big stops in crunch time in big games. In those cup runs by Chicago he was key and - like Marty in his day - a complete stud with the game on the line. Really - all athletic, technique and other talent issues aside - that’s what makes a great goaltender. It’s the timely stop and not just the percentage. The rising to game situations. We will see but Fitz and co. must judge that he has tread left on the tires.

Reactions: Bleedred

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Heard some reporter talking about this signing on the NHL XM station today, and he said he thought this wasn't the right move for the Devils because they "could really use someone who could start 60 games for them", so he thought the move should have been for Fleury.

It continues to floor me how many NHL "insiders" know literally nothing about non-Original Six/Canadian/Pennsylvanian teams, to the point where this guy clearly had no clue who Blackwood is. Not saying Blackwood's an all star already or whatever, he still needs to prove himself over a full season, but God, "60 game starter", that made my jaw drop.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
All this aside, what I always have loved about Crawford is how he made the big stops in crunch time in big games. In those cup runs by Chicago he was key and - like Marty in his day - a complete stud with the game on the line. Really - all athletic, technique and other talent issues aside - that’s what makes a great goaltender. It’s the timely stop and not just the percentage. The rising to game situations. We will see but Fitz and co. must judge that he has tread left on the tires.
Crawford is the most underrated goalie of his generation. Most goalies that play on a stacked team get jocked and overrated because of it, but for Crawford it was quite the opposite. Him being on a stacked team got held against him.

He was one of the best goalies in the league for quite a few years and was pretty consistently great for about 5-6 years there. We don’t need him to be the Crawford of old, who was one of the best in the league. We just need him to be quite a bit better than Schneider, Domingue or the last we saw of Kinkaid and that shouldn’t be hard to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad