Confirmed with Link: Crawford signs with Devils

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Curious, if Crawford plays well but we're out of the playoffs when the deadline comes, and a playoff team desperately needs a goalie, can we flip him for a first and then expose Senn for the expansion draft?
He's got a NTC the first year and an 8 team NTC the second year.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Crawford was brought in to be a stabilizing presence when Blackwood plays poorly and needs rest

Wouldn't be surprised to see Mackenzie split games this year and then officially take the reigns the following season

Crawford isn't just some chip to be pawned for assets later - he likely plays out his contract, maybe even sign another one after if he enjoys the area enough.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Per The Athletic:

"One quick note: The Devils do need to expose a goaltender in the expansion draft after next season, but it doesn’t have to be the one who replaces Schneider. Every team must expose a goaltender who is under contract for 2021-22 or is a restricted free agent and has been tendered a qualifying offer. New Jersey will be able to expose Gilles Senn or Evan Cormier, provided the Devils offer them qualifying offers at the end of the season."

Not sure if it is true but I assume Corey Masisak did his homework.

I like Corey a lot but I do not assume that he did his homework. That said, Evan Cormier would be eligible, if the Devils gave him a QO, which they would. Gilles Senn, by dint of his being a first or 2nd year pro, would not be eligible.

Reactions: deflowd

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Because I've been asked a bunch about the Devils new acquisitions, I think I'll pipe in.

Cory Crawford is a class act, a leader and has two Stanley Cup rings -- these are good enough reasons to sign him to be your #2 goalie/Mackenzie Blackwood mentor. But I think people are forgetting how well he played this year -- he was really outstanding for the Blackhawks despite a pretty suspect blueline in front of him. He's not the biggest or most athletic, he's never had the quickest glove hand -- but Mr. Crawford is an unflappable competitor known for clutch saves at big moments. Is $3.9 million for two years a bit much for a 35 year old? Maybe, but we're not talking about a player like Holtby who has shown decline for two straight seasons. Crawford has been quite good, and we need to keep in mind what a good influence and mentor he will be for Blackwood. So, I really like the deal and the acquisition for the Devils. Welcome to New Jersey, Mr. Crawford!

Camille the Eel

Heard some reporter talking about this signing on the NHL XM station today, and he said he thought this wasn't the right move for the Devils because they "could really use someone who could start 60 games for them", so he thought the move should have been for Fleury.

It continues to floor me how many NHL "insiders" know literally nothing about non-Original Six/Canadian/Pennsylvanian teams, to the point where this guy clearly had no clue who Blackwood is. Not saying Blackwood's an all star already or whatever, he still needs to prove himself over a full season, but God, "60 game starter", that made my jaw drop.
This.
We are a developing team and don’t want Crawford to play 50 or 60 games. It’s more important to develop Blackwood, or even Senn if Blackwood goes down at some point, than to win 5 or 6 or more games over the coming campaign.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brodeur was a big part of pitching free agent goaltender Corey Crawford. Laid out the team&#39;s plan and why he was a fit. Said he exuded confidence and showed how much they wanted him.</p>&mdash; Chris Wescott (@TheChrisWescott) <a href="">October 10, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Call him Crow!!
Crow17.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad