Confirmed with Link: Crawford signs with Devils

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I am so happy to have Fitz as the GM. He learned sooo much from his mentor.

First offseason movie was to fire his goalie, then he upgraded the Defense and hired a better a Goalie. What did Shero do last offseason? It’s been over a year..

Reactions: glenwo2

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Doubt the Kraken are interested in picking a 36 year old goalie with 1 year to go to UFA, but I guess it's possible.

Depends on what else we're exposing. I doubt it'll be all that much at this point.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
They can pick up to 5 goalies. They could draft him and then try to flip him elsewhere. We'll have to see what forwards get what contracts here but I suspect it will be slim pickings otherwise. D will be tricky, though.

Depends on what else we're exposing. I doubt it'll be all that much at this point.

Actually, that's a good point, he might be the only appealing option we leave them.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
What is the point of signing a 35 year old average goaltender? This looks like Shero 2.0 with recycling of the same names. Should have drafted Askarov and have a goalie for 18 years.

Reactions: BulletTheBlueSky

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Did not know this: Crawford only played in 6 NHL games before becoming a starter 8 years after being drafted. He's pretty low-mileage for an older goalie with only 488 regular season games.

It also shows how remarkable and unbeatable Marty's numbers are.

Reactions: glenwo2

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I'm super stoked about this, I live in Chicago and attend almost every Blackhawks home game, Crow is still a fantastic goaltender and the perfect guy to mentor MBW and take some of the pressure off of him. I'm guessing the 'starter' mantle is Blackwoods to lose, but given that we'll likely be dealing with an extremely compressed schedule and lots of back-to-backs I could definitely see the time split being around 60/40 (~50 games for MBW & 32 for Crow). Having two competent net minders is a luxury we haven't had for a while, both of them are capable of going on a tear and letting us ride the hot hand for a while as well.

Reactions: My3Sons

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Even if we drafted Askarov this signing would have made sense....

Absolutely. Pay Cory Schneider, Buy him out. Waste the money. Buy another goalie that's almost 36. In 2 years get rid of him. Buy another one. Constant recycle. Since like 2012 95% all those players bought or drafted were worth 0, because none of them helped you get a cup. Attention spam of 5 minutes at management level. So afraid to have some balls, dump the stupid recycle idea, and build an actual team.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Absolutely. Pay Cory Schneider, Buy him out. Waste the money. Buy another goalie that's almost 36. In 2 years get rid of him. Buy another one. Constant recycle. Since like 2012 95% all those players bought or drafted were worth 0, because none of them helped you get a cup. Attention spam of 5 minutes at management level. So afraid to have some balls, dump the stupid recycle idea, and build an actual team.
I'll ask again

Do you know who Mackenzie Blackwood is? Because it seems like you don't

Have you watched Corey Crawford in his career? He is exponentially better than Schneider and costs less than Schneider did.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'm not sure I'd rank our goaltending tendem that high just yet, but definitely better than what we had last year.

Among starters (>30 games) last season Crawford and Blackwood were 14th and 17 respectfully in save percentage. The names above them mostly play for teams like Dallas, Boston, Tampa, and Colorado. Chicago and NJ had awful defenses.

Maybe it's not top 5-10, but I think it would be fair to say that NJ is now going into the season with 2 of the better goalies in the league next season, which is something they haven't been able to say since Cory broke down.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Look at Cory's numbers when we "paid" him, look at his numbers when we bought him out. Now look at Blackwood, his age and numbers, and look at Corey's numbers and contract.

If you look at all those things and can't figure out how it all makes sense and is actually in line with what you are screaming for, you are on your own.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Schnieder had an .887 save percentage. He was a virtually guaranteed loss every time he started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad