Friedman: Coyotes prepared to give Domi a fresh start, expect him to be traded by draft

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
BSN avalanche podcast indicated discussions being held btw Avs and Yotes. Something like Domi and Demers for Barrie is what they expect. Likely at draft.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
BSN avalanche podcast indicated discussions being held btw Avs and Yotes. Something like Domi and Demers for Barrie is what they expect. Likely at draft.
I would literally spew if that happened as an Avs fan.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

To clairfy, they said they heard that Colorado and Arizona had talks about Domi and 'the price was less than expected'. AJ then went on to speculate it might take a Barrie trade.

Avs fans are obviously not too happy with the Barrie involvement for Domi.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Baertchi or Goldobin and a choice of Hutton or, Pouliout
for Domi.

No Baertschi - Goldobin, Hutton as a base. Probably have to add.

Baertschi has too much chemistry with Bo and Brock to let go unless the trade makes way too much sense.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
What about a deal around Honka and Domi. Similar age and similar draft pedigree. Both have shown they are good for the NHL but are struggling a bit with their respective coaches.

Dallas maybe adds a bit but as a basis?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Horrible trade for Arizona just because Darling is involved. Raanta is a seriously good goalie. If Arizona doesn't try to lock that guy up, they're crazy. And he's not going to stay there for deferred contracts and stock options so they better be ready to pony up a 30 million dollar 5 year deal.
There's no chance any team gives Raanta anything close to that. His term will be 4 years or less and so will be his AAV.

rt

May 13, 2004
What about a deal around Honka and Domi. Similar age and similar draft pedigree. Both have shown they are good for the NHL but are struggling a bit with their respective coaches.

Dallas maybe adds a bit but as a basis?
Better than most offers so far. Domi is playing really well though. He played over 17mins last night as a center. He's got 4pts in his last 4gp and things seem to really be clicking. He's engaged and generating chances and mixing it up again. I think the lightbulb may have blinked on again.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
No Baertschi - Goldobin, Hutton as a base. Probably have to add.

Baertschi has too much chemistry with Bo and Brock to let go unless the trade makes way too much sense.

If we were to get Domi, he would be replacing Baertschi on that LW with Bo. I am not thrilled about moving Baertschi either but if a deal would get done by moving him and any of those other 3 mentioned then I would make the trade any day of the week

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
If we were to get Domi, he would be replacing Baertschi on that LW with Bo. I am not thrilled about moving Baertschi either but if a deal would get done by moving him and any of those other 3 mentioned then I would make the trade any day of the week
Domi>Baertschi by far. Provides us with more grit and him and Bo are great friends off the ice.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The of running two pukes like Domi and Tkachuk has me drooling. Flames have a great relationship with the Yotes. Let's get something done!

Gotta get Chayka to help us out again. They've done a lot for us in the past couple seasons... for a team that's suppose to be our ' divisional rival'.
Need a top 4D to help you get to the playoffs? Take Stone for a 3rd and 5th.
Need a top G to solidify your team? Take Smith for a 3rd, a 'meh' prospect and a goalie dump.
Need a top 9 scoring forward, maybe with some grit that plays Calgary hockey? Take Domi, for....

Come on Tre, work your magic.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

I'd rather add a pick then lose Baertschi. He is the kind of guy who makes for balanced scoring lines (Boeser and Horvat are a cut above him), especially if Domi can play wing as well as centre.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I'd rather add a pick then lose Baertschi. He is the kind of guy who makes for balanced scoring lines (Boeser and Horvat are a cut above him), especially if Domi can play wing as well as centre.
While I agree, I think you miss what I am saying. I would rather keep Sven as well but if AZ isn't interested in say a Hutton and Goldobin package, but would be ok with a Sven and Hutton or Sven and Goldobin deal, I wouldn't kill a deal just to keep Sven around. If we were to get Sven he wouldn't be on the Horvat and Boeser line anyways, Domi would be.

rt

May 13, 2004
Gotta get Chayka to help us out again. They've done a lot for us in the past couple seasons... for a team that's suppose to be our ' divisional rival'.
Need a top 4D to help you get to the playoffs? Take Stone for a 3rd and 5th.
Need a top G to solidify your team? Take Smith for a 3rd, a 'meh' prospect and a goalie dump.
Need a top 9 scoring forward, maybe with some grit that plays Calgary hockey? Take Domi, for....

Come on Tre, work your magic.

Has Stone been good for you guys? I thought we gave up on him too soon. He really only had the one bad season. It was an awful season, but it was just one. I'm glad to hear that he got his game back. He was a solid citizen for us. I don't think he would have fit what Tocchet and Allen are trying to do at all, though. Schenn had a great year last year but he can't keep up this year. I think it would've been the same for Stone.

Smith was a turd and it fills me with joy that he's gone. I'm extremely happy with Raanta and to be rid of Smith who was...a turd. :)

I'll be immensely ticked off if we trade Domi. Depending on the return and the details that come out, it might be enough to make me switch my allegiance to the Maple Leafs and just be a Matthews fan.

rt

May 13, 2004
While I agree, I think you miss what I am saying. I would rather keep Sven as well but if AZ isn't interested in say a Hutton and Goldobin package, but would be ok with a Sven and Hutton or Sven and Goldobin deal, I wouldn't kill a deal just to keep Sven around. If we were to get Sven he wouldn't be on the Horvat and Boeser line anyways, Domi would be.

No thank you.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Has Stone been good for you guys? I thought we gave up on him too soon. He really only had the one bad season. It was an awful season, but it was just one. I'm glad to hear that he got his game back. He was a solid citizen for us. I don't think he would have fit what Tocchet and Allen are trying to do at all, though. Schenn had a great year last year but he can't keep up this year. I think it would've been the same for Stone.

Smith was a turd and it fills me with joy that he's gone. I'm extremely happy with Raanta and to be rid of Smith who was...a turd. :)

I'll be immensely ticked off if we trade Domi. Depending on the return and the details that come out, it might be enough to make me switch my allegiance to the Maple Leafs and just be a Matthews fan.

Stoney's been great for us. They've got him down playing on the third pairing right now; but last year... he was legitimately one of the reasons we made the playoffs. When he came in, it gave Brodie a partner who actually could play hockey (not Engellland or Wideman). Him on the second pairing was a God send. This season he makes up a really, really strong third pairing with Brett Kulak. People always laugh at Flames fans for having our '17 1D's' but that top 6 is tremendous when Bartkowski's in the pressbox. He plays PK1/2 depending on Hammer's usage; he's strong along the boards... the guy's just a perfect 5D for us. At the cost of a third and 5th, you can't beat it.

Mike Smith's been unreal for Calgary. Like, All-Star form, leader... just an awesome dude to have. I'm happy we gave up nothing of value to get him... because he's been that good.

Let's go go on Domi for like Fox and a 5th. :laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
Easy pass from the Coyotes. Bracco might be a player. A late 2nd is not as valuable an add as the Coyotes keeping the better player who still has lots of upside.
I like the upside on Bracco very much. I don't think he would work here, though. Bracco has needed a lot of extra attention in his young career. There have been some pretty extreme measures taken. The Coyotes don't like to work with kids who need anything extra. They seem to have a type, and I don't think Bracco is it.

As a fan, I love flashy, non-traditional players with a unique side to their games. I liked Duclair. I like H0-Sang and Bracco. I don't think John Chayka does. Not at all. He's wants them as quiet and as boring and as easily coachable as humanly possible.

Chayka's comments about Keller and Chychrun's character stand out to me. Same with POJ and basically every pick last draft. About drafting the kinds of personalities he wants to build his team with. He's got a type.

Bracco would not have customized personal development plan in Tucson like he does for the Marlies. We don't have Kyle Dubas and Sheldon Keefe, here. Bracco is with the right organization for his development. The Coyotes are the wrong one.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Stoney's been great for us. They've got him down playing on the third pairing right now; but last year... he was legitimately one of the reasons we made the playoffs. When he came in, it gave Brodie a partner who actually could play hockey (not Engellland or Wideman). Him on the second pairing was a God send. This season he makes up a really, really strong third pairing with Brett Kulak. People always laugh at Flames fans for having our '17 1D's' but that top 6 is tremendous when Bartkowski's in the pressbox. He plays PK1/2 depending on Hammer's usage; he's strong along the boards... the guy's just a perfect 5D for us. At the cost of a third and 5th, you can't beat it.

Mike Smith's been unreal for Calgary. Like, All-Star form, leader... just an awesome dude to have. I'm happy we gave up nothing of value to get him... because he's been that good.

Let's go go on Domi for like Fox and a 5th. :laugh:

I'm happy for Calgary that Smith is doing well. I'm not happy for Smith. He's too much of a turd for me to happy for him. I'll always wish Don Maloney as much success as he can get, though. Great guy. I think the NHL forced his hand on that John Scott fiasco. Apart from that, Maloney has more beerability than any GM I can ever remember. If I could have dinner with one person involved in the NHL, it'd be Maloney. Brian Burke is probably the last guy I'd pick. Haha. If it weren't for Burke and Smith, I'd probably just ditch the Yotes and become a Flames fan.

rt

May 13, 2004
Are any of those packages in the ballpark of interest for you? What pick would need to be added to which package to peak your interest?
No. I don't really want any of that. When Domi is having a really bad year, he's still a .45ppg C/LW who plays with an edge. That's with shooting 3%. He's going to be fine. I think he's a 5opt player most seasons and is captain material. So obviously a 2nd round pick doesn't stop me in my tracks. Domi is 22 years old for crying out loud.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Kings offer 2018 1st and a non-Vilardi/Clague prospect.

I don't mind trading futures for a cost-controlled asset who hopefully helps us score more immediately, especially if those futures aren't going to help us score immediately.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Reports out there saying Van has major interestbin Domi and the 2 clubs have spoken.

Would be magical to see the Horvat-Domi combo again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad